Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Dura Glas then epoxy
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Rob, when I stripped my original vinyl top '69 car, it had regular old bondo in there - under the factory red primer - in there for 35 years on top of bare metal. I dug it all out, and refiilled to level with Evercoat Glass filler. Same with a deep dent (actually a crease) at the lower rear 1/4 panel. All I use the glass filler for is to bring the depression up to level. Far too much work and wasted effort to think you wil get it smooth or tapered. I just get it to shape with a 6" sander and move on. I never used to do this, but have started using Rage (or similiar) over epoxy. Skim coated both of my 1/4 panels, then blocked them smooth. By the time I applied my 2K, the car was basically ready for BC/CC. THe glass filler really bites into an 80 grit (or rougher) metal surface. I am very happy with the results so far. Key is, if the metal panel does not have any holes in it, and you seal the surface of with epoxy, the filler will not see moisture from either the front or back.