Hot Rod Forum banner

Durablock - Doubts

11K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  imperialman67 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, my name is Leandro, I live in Brazil and I'm very interested in the durablock sanding block kit. I've seen this kit in a Summit catalog and I'd like to have further information once I never saw the product.

Does all blocks have some kind of velcro/hook and loop?
At the site some of them has some kind of "velcro/hook & loop".
Also, does someone has the 24'' sanding block? Is this too much for this vehicle?

what other brands of sanding blocks are good? AFS? K BLOCK?

Sorry for my poor english!! :welcome:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I have a set of both Dura's and AFS.
Completly different aspects with each kind.
Dura's are great for basically "flat" blocking and do have "some" flex BUT,
Do NOT expect them to BE FLAT. Even straight out of the box,they need to be checked with a thick piece of glass,your assured of it being fairly "true" from a flat aspect,and need checking.SEE this posting.
Sanding Blocks
Now,
ALL Durablocks ARE made for 2.75" roll,PSA paper, Never seen ANY with velcro attatchment.Actually never seen much velcro roll size paper. Some junk flat sheet for a air file but that was about it.
I recently got a complete set of AFS blocks and WOW,They are EXCEPTIONAL for ANY type of curved surface of ANY size.
If your planning on doing several projects or for a living,These are a MUST have. You can use all the rods for a stiff,flat block or remove them all for a superior flexable block which will stay TRUE to the contour. They are also for PSA roll paper and basically need no truing as they come flat and STAY flat unless you really get STUPID with them and like bend them double,drop them on the floor or something.
I got my Durablocks locally for a LOT less than Eastwoods but the AFS's came from TCPGlobal. Check around for the pricing for sure.

#5 ·
thanks for the answers, my friends!

Bee4Me,

i saw in a video the AFS block and i liked it a lot! must bee an excellent sanding block...

i'm gonna order some parts for my car in summit racing site, and there's only durablock there... and i'm gonna wait some months to do another order, them i'll buy the afs blocks...

and my car don't have too much curves, so i'll only buy the durablocks now...

how i'm in brazil, i don't know how are the sanding blocks from USA... and buy something that you never see in your front, you never touched, is very bad.... that's why i'm looking for opinions, videos, forums....

thanks!!

#6 ·
Know whay you mean. I was skeptical of the AFS ones and just ordered a long block.Once I used it and saw the "adjustibility" of them,had wished I got the complete set. Once I had the extra funds,got a set and they just kick butt. Besides,I've yet to see a truley "flat" panel on ANY vehicle,they ALL have some curve.Sure your can "ride" a flat block and do respectable work,I had for years but once I tried the AFS's,my life was SO much easier AND faster.

#7 ·
Bee4Me said:
Know whay you mean. I was skeptical of the AFS ones and just ordered a long block.Once I used it and saw the "adjustibility" of them,had wished I got the complete set. Once I had the extra funds,got a set and they just kick butt. Besides,I've yet to see a truley "flat" panel on ANY vehicle,they ALL have some curve.Sure your can "ride" a flat block and do respectable work,I had for years but once I tried the AFS's,my life was SO much easier AND faster.
nice!! must be really good tool! here in brazil, there are no tools like in usa... i think the body shop must made their own sanding blocks....

any sugestion to make "home made" sanding block? wood? foam?

#8 ·
The Durablocks do need to be trued, at least mine did.
I put some 80 grit sticky paper on a flat surface and sanded the
bottoms of mine, worked really good.

I also have a wood block that I true up every once in a while
the same way.
That wood block gives the truest straightest sanding of all
my blocks. So simple, yet so good. (for dry sanding)
Sometimes the simple stuff is the best.
A wood block can be any size and shape you want.
You just have to check it once in a while for trueness,
but that's an easy fix.
I don't know why I don't use it more often. :pimp:

#9 ·
Dura-Blocks

I noticed all the comments regarding Dura-Blocks and thought I shoud reply. I am the President of Trade Associates, the parent company of Dura-Block.
Dura-Block makes both the hook and loop blocks and the PSA (pressure sensitive adhesive) blocks. There are 22 items in total including 3 kits.
Many people expect the Dura-Blocks to be perfectly flat and to sit flat on a table. The fact is that the blocks are not ridgid. They are "conformable" blocks which can be bent to conform to the shape being sanded. We do make one block which is of a different material, which is hard and perfectly flat and does not conform.
While most sanding blocks are molded and therefore do not have true surfaces, Dura-Blocks are machined to a flat surface. It is this flat surface combined with the material ability to conform that makes the Dura-Blocks special.
I hope this helps the discussion and that you will understand that I am just trying to provide info and not to promote.

#11 ·
Thanks, 4 Speed.
I did see your post previously about using the plastic material.
We will seriously look into that idea.
One of the reasons we made the Dura-Blocks was for the easy conformability of the material, yet it still has a surface hardness which will prevent digging out the fill material as a softer surface might do.
I appreciate your suggestion very much.
DuraBlock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.