duraglas - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

duraglas

Anybody experience any shrinkage with duraglas, thanks
Rob

http://webpages.charter.net/2manitowoc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Duraglas is just a polyester filler with fiberglas for extra strength.

No polyester products shink. Not a worry.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:06 PM

Last photo:

No shrinkage after it's cured. But I'm curious-are you having problems with Duraglass? Polyester products do indeed shrink but at a much faster rate than any urethane, epoxy, or 1K product. As an example: If you coat a piece of paneling or similar with filler, and then apply numerous coats on top of that, you'll notice that the edges of the board start to curl upward-this is because as the filler cures it shrinks and pulls towards the center. The shrinkage happens as the product cures which is fairly fast.

Fillers will outgas for about 12 hours from what I've been told.

Last edited by baddbob; 01-14-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:49 PM

Over on the chevelle site some guy ask about all metal and somebody else said they don't use duraglas because it shrinks, whereas it never used to and he said somebody else also had the same problem.
I'm a little confused on what to use now.
Rob
Old 01-14-2006, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

Rob, use Duraglass, or Evercoat's Everglass and don't think twice. Tell everyone you know to throw that All metal in the trash- junk, that's my opinion. The silver alluminum fillers have been tested here in road salt country, nobody uses the stuff anymore around this area, junk. I've seen the failures. Bob
Old 01-14-2006, 11:16 PM

Last photo:

I've never noticed anything with fiberglass filler. I am sure it may shrink some. The only way I can see that being a problem, is if something shrinks down the road after you have things all sanded and painted, and you get shrinkage and it shows up. I have used a bunch of all metal filler when I was working at the yacht builder. I didn't like working with it much at all, but we had to do very large areas with it.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Technician

Last wiki edit: Epoxy primer
Wiki Edits: 17

Everglass sticks better, IMHO, and any shrinkage is minimal and happens right away, so there won't be any problem later. I won't use All-Metal. To me it's just fake lead, and not even a very good fake. Hard to sand among other things.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:28 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If there was shrinkage problems, I think I know why. The product was not mixed properly, causing some of it to not cure, but rather dry out. It is no different than other body fillers, in that it will not cure if not properly mixed. They do dry out in time, and harden somewhat, but they are not cured hard as they should be.

A while back I was given a "comeback" at work, to repair. It had been done by a guy that was no longer there. He replaced a quarter panel and the filler that was put in the sail panel had cracked. When I ground it off, I found that the filler closest to the metal was not hardened, as it should have been. That was where the crack was originating from. When grinding it, I first noticed that the disk was guming up. I then looked closely and noticed the "marbling", indicating that the hardner was not mixed evenly. That was easilly noticeable with normal fillers. With the reinforced types that are darker in color, it is harder to tell if the stuff is mixed properly unless you use a light color hardner.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.