duraglass the old lead seam? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2010, 11:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

duraglass the old lead seam?

We did a roof skin on my car and I heard of guys using duraglass to fill in where the lead once was. That's what I would like to do but just wanted to see what other guys are doing. I know we could make a strip of metal to go in there but I'd rather not

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 10:05 AM
Sin Vertis Stratio

Last photo:

Any plastic will have a different coefficient of expansion than the steel under it ,the net result is it will not stay put over time.
Do it once, do it right
Old 06-25-2010, 12:28 PM
HR VIOLATION

Last photo:

Just had my paint and body done by a professional muscle car resto shop (not a collision shop)

What they did was weld the crap out of the seam between the quarter and the roof skin (I replaced the quarter myself which had the sail panel on it) After welding from both sides they used the filler that has the fiberglass strands in it, and then the standard evercoat rage xtreme over that followed by the spray poly over the entire car. We discussed using lead and the guy assigned to my car (over 30 years of experience as a body man) said that with the modern improvements to filler and a properly prepped metal base, the lead was not necessary whatsoever. He said he would do it if I wanted it, but that he honestly felt that it would be a waste of my money.

That is my .02 cents based on the experience I had and based on the reputation of the shop I used, which has done some very high end very rare cars in the not to distant past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dual4
We did a roof skin on my car and I heard of guys using duraglass to fill in where the lead once was. That's what I would like to do but just wanted to see what other guys are doing. I know we could make a strip of metal to go in there but I'd rather not
Old 06-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

While I agree that lead has its place in some areas, unless this is a high-dollar piece, or a concourse car, you really don't need it.

Properly applied, a good quality plastic filler will not fail. The stuff holds up.

I would suggest that if it's an area where there can be movement (like where the seam from two halves of a hood come together or an edge of some kind, like where a scoop was molded on), use some fiberglass cloth and resin first. I know the Duraglas has chopped fibers in it, but sometimes a little extra insurance can't hurt.

Not on a car....but there is a glob of bondo still stuck on the concrete footer of my mother's garage...that I slung there about 48 years ago! It's exposed to the Ohio weather, unpainted, unprotected. Yep.

Last edited by dalesy; 06-27-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.