Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Duraspark module overheated and engine died
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

that's a pretty neat instalation of the GM module, nice job

I just installed a 1.6 ohmm resistor to the TFI coil, it started fine, neither the coil or the module overheated, but after 5 minutes or less, the resistor became very hot and the coil quit firing, seems like the resistor didn't like the coil, the voltage at the coil terminal "flashed" at something around 5 volts, and I say flashed because it actually did, couldn't get a constant reading at the + terminal of the coil, my meter is a top of the line OTC unit... was strange.

The module was cool.

I bougth a new coil, regular type, it's a universal New Era, square syle, looks similar to the GM coil, but this one came with an external resistor, I'm gonna hook it up and see what happens.

If this fails, I'll go with the GM module, I have used it here in the shop for years in all kind of cars, mostly Toyotas and Fiats, and works better than the expensive oem's, I have even used it once in a Suzuki Intruder motorcycle, instead of the CDI module, worked great, even with fixed timing, 'cos it can't handle that.

this afternoon I'll know what happens, I'll post my results.

thanks a lot for helping.