dying seats and carpets - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

dying seats and carpets

i picked up a set of sport seats for the track truck for cheap. they are in great shape. only problem is that they are Barney purple. the truck is black on black, so that just doesnt wok for me.

ive seen guys use a spray bottle of RIT carpet dye to touch up faded black carpet. could i do this on the seats with the upholstery still attached to the foam and frame? if so, how would i go about doing it? and also, would it come off on my clothes?

secondly, i, debating on putting carpet back in. the bedlinerd floor and cab are cool and light, but its loud and hot, especially driving to and from the track. i have mint grey carpets. i was thinking of dying them black while i was doing the seats using the RIT dye.

what do you think? im on a budget that is pretty small, so id like to work with what i have instead of buying new stuff just for a different color. its not a show car either, so perfect it doesnt have to be. just nice and presentable.

thanks
michael

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2009, 09:50 PM
jkrestoration

Last photo:

are the seats cloth or vinyl? if u spray any kind of dye on cloth itll make it sticky and tacky...the same with carpet...dye on carpet makes it matted...if the seats are vinyl SEM products are the best...they have vinyl dye cans...just make sure you clean the seat really good and get some kind of vinyl prep to put on the seats before you dye so the dye sticks...but seats with alot of ware the dye normally doesnt last too long...
Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
jkrestoration

Last photo:

Well I have been properly scolded once again for giving advise on this site. So in an "attempt" to be a little more clear I give you the following advise. Also when I refer to "redying" something it is not actually a "dye" but a "coating". Now I have only done this kind of work for dealerships and retail customers for a little more than 10 years so you should not take my advise as gospel on anything. Also I have only been doing upholstery for about the same amount of time so likely don't know much about that either. I would not recommend redying carpet or fabrics at all. I guess if you don't care about the results you can do what you want. This is ONLY my opinion and there may be some product out there that might work but I have never had good results with anything I've found to date. If somebody knows of anything I would love to experiment with it. As for RIT dye...I tried it on some OEM fabric that was the same material as I needed but a lighter color. I needed it to be black. I tried RIT dye on it and the fabric would not take the dye. Again I'm only relating my experience. As for SEM products, just to be clear...they offer their products in spray cans and also up to I believe gallon containers. I can honestly say thats the largest container I've seen for sale. I only use their products on leather,vinyl, and plastic. There are proper procedures and products for surface prep and you should probably read the instructions before using them, just as you would for anything you want to do correctly. SEM offers various cleaners, preps, crosslinkers and other products designed for producing a professional finish. There are other products available but so far SEM has produced the best results for me as far as finish and durability. Again...just an opinion.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Hellbilly Hotrods

Last photo:

ive used the SEM with great results on plastics and vinyl. i have also used RIT dye on t-shirts with great results.

the seats are of an unknown cloth material. assumd to be a blend. im trying to go from purple to black without reupholtering a set of 35 dollar seats. (new 200) same with my fresh carpet without buying a 200 dollar replacement carpet.

the results im looking for are functional, halfway decent looking, and wont come off on my clothes. do i need it to be a permanent soution? that would be nice, but no. i can touch it up and be OK with that.

its ok if the carpet is a little matted. that doesnt bother me. sticky seats, on the other heand, are unacceptable.

with a better description of what im looking for, what do you think?

Michael
Old 11-19-2009, 01:55 PM
build it like you like them

Last journal entry: buggmann stilling looking
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

buggmann

dulipcolor makes some spray colors i used them to redo my Honda
i did it red and black it was all done for around 50.00
i did the seats,door panels,dash,and the carpet it looked good after
i was done and after it dyed it did not come off on my clothes

hope this helps
Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

It's hard to get a dye to 'bite' on auto upholstery, as most of it is synthetics. Someone has to have something by now. Call around some upholstery shops or interior decorating centers.

For vinyl, I've used SEM, but have also had good luck with Mar-Hyde. Many years ago, I sprayed my motorcycle seat with it, and within an hour, spilled gasoline on it (hi-test). Never touched it. Made me a believer.

You may want to start liking purple better.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.