Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - is dying vinyl actually worth it?
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

dying vinyl

I have dyed lots of vinyl parts over the years ,always using a Sems dye.I found that on soft vinyls it worked excellent as far as durability goes and on hard plastics not so good if they are scraped or rubbed against .I find that the dye has a tendincy to flake off of some hard plastics.I have used it on dash pads with excellent results.Make sure you use a plastic prep before dying for sure.On plastics that were sun baked and all the texture surface has turned dusty,I would sand the piece smooth and then I experiented applying light coats of rock guard and then dyed the plastic panel.Make sure you use the same colour of rock guard as the colour out come will be different.you would be surprised at the outcome .This is something you might want to try if you cannot purchase certain car interior parts.I have never had one person pick up on it at shows.I have also dyed vinyl seats that turned out great and again using Sems dye.