dynamat or cheaper stuff - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 12:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Regarding the hides...

I don't know for certain, but I'd guess that the cows raised for hamburger don't have their skin attended to sufficiently to produce large, blemish-free hydes suitable for automotive use.

Leather for upholstery is generally softer, of better quality, and in larger pieces than the stuff used for belts, shoes, etc. Those cows probably have to be protected so they don't ruin their skin before they get harvested.

The leather-cows probably end up in hamburger, but the hamburger-cows probably don't end up in your hotrod...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Ask me, Cause I don't know

Last journal entry: Need things to do.
Last photo:

Anyone try the Lizard Skin ? http://coollizard.com/
I read about it earlier and the July Custom rodder has a write up on it. It is air-filled ceramic and silica in acrylic binders. Sound deading and insulates too.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:35 AM

RE: Sound Deadner

We just drove our 39 Chevy coupe from southern Illinois to the Goodguys event at Hershey, PA., got the long distance award, 1,700 miles round trip. My car is sound deadened with a product from Home Depot for repairing gutters called "Quick Seal". It comes in a roll 4"X30'. You can get wider rolls but 4" is much easier to work with. We found the best way to cut it is with a sharp razor knife. It applies very easily and works every bit as well as the high priced hot rod specific stuff. I used about 6 rolls at $15.00/roll.
If you want bragging rights use the expensive stuff. If you want your car quiet on a budget use the Quick Seal.
Hope this helps...Bob
Old 05-29-2005, 08:04 AM

Last journal entry: Flamethrower trial
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73oldsman
The price of everything goes up once a big name gets put to it. I also agree with "Beenaway2long". We used to use Naugahyde to cover everything. Then came the international shortage of Naugas. Then PETA got involved and eatablished the Save the Naugas Foundation, "SNF". Now you can't even find a decent, inexpensive nauga hide. So now were stuck using imitation leather, which is almost as expensive as real cow leather. The price of imitation leather is being driven up due to the imitation guns, bullets and high cost imitation traps that had to be developed to hunt the imitation animals. When will this madness end!!! Time for my pills!
Ah but you forget that harvesting nauga hides is a safe process, no harm to the little guy.

Here's all about them http://www.naugahyde.com/history.html
Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM

Thermal Insulation

I am more interrested in Thermal insulation. I am going to install new carpet in a 64 Avanti--fiberglass body. The carpet helps but without AC it still makes heat in summer. The idea of ice guard sounds good. Hushmat and Dynamat are sold mostly for sound deadening. How much thermal help is there?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You realize this thread is over 4 years old, right? All of them are sold as and are referred to as sound dampeners or deadeners. About the only thing they claim regarding heat is each one's failure temperature, not how much heat they will dissipate. The bottom line is that depending on how long of a drive you are going on, at some point the heat will warm up the sound deadeners and the inside of the car will warm up accordingly. The car will stay cooler, longer with the reflective outer layer than if there were no sound deadener, but that's all.

BTW, Quik Seal is an asphalt based roofing product, and is not comparable to the butyl based sound deadeners. It fails at much lower temperatures. It is cheaper, but that's all. If you live in a hot climate, I would steer away from Quik Seal.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:37 PM

Here is the stuff I used in my Mustang. Seamed to work really well. It is really heavy and thick compared to the dynamat stuff I have seen.. Good or bad? Not sure... But price wise it was the best deal I could find.. I was actually really happy with it. Its very heavy though and thick.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SFT-INSUL1/
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaseman27
Here is the stuff I used in my Mustang. Seamed to work really well. It is really heavy and thick compared to the dynamat stuff I have seen.. Good or bad? Not sure... But price wise it was the best deal I could find.. I was actually really happy with it. Its very heavy though and thick.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SFT-INSUL1/
That's the only thing I use on floorboards. Great stuff. Might get a little heavy on roofs and soak up water inside doors but on floors it is better than anything else on the market IMHO. Strong, great underlayment smoothing out lumpy floors, provides a nice soft base for carpet, insulates very well, and damps sound, also very well.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
That's the only thing I use on floorboards. Great stuff. Might get a little heavy on roofs and soak up water inside doors but on floors it is better than anything else on the market IMHO. Strong, great underlayment smoothing out lumpy floors, provides a nice soft base for carpet, insulates very well, and damps sound, also very well.
Well put. I think it would be great on a floor and probably the firewall, but that's about it.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:05 AM

When I used it I used it everywhere... Floor, doors, and headliner. Although it is heavy it stayed in place very easily. As for the doors I used a moisture barrior to seal the door and applied the sound barrier to the door card. I can see it being a problem holding moisture as the material is consistant to a pair of blue jeans ground up! But for my own car it never gets driven in rain and barely washed as I keep it covered.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Cool it

I got some information on a product called Cool-it. It is sold on Jegs.com. Part number 893-14100. It looks like it might be what I am looking for. Any help?
Old 09-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Looks like that may do the trick for you.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i have been using lizardskin for about 7 years. i use it on the restomod corvette i just finished. it is a product that does what it claims. it kills noise and gives the car a solid sound. it stops heat migration on long trips. i've tried many and after 150 miles in july the carpet is just as hot as the bottom of the car. i want my cars quiet and cool. saving a few bucks is just not worth it . the last 56 truck i did had only 1/4 in padding under the carpet. not 1 1/2 of jute .
Old 09-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Insulation Products

I'm not far enough along on my project to speak from experience, but that hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for jump in with an opinion.

I think the sticky material referred to as iceguard is what I call ice and water shield used under shingles on roofs and around windows. I've seen two brands; Grace and PrimeSource. Around here, we call it "*****thane" as it's not east to work with on a roof especially on a windy day. And, it's rather spendy in roof size rolls.

As far as any asphalt product, my concern would be odor. Tar paper and the such have an unpleasent aroma and not used much in gourment cooking. On a hot day I think the stink would drive me to drink.

How about using carpet pading? Glue it into doors and on floors and for moisture resistance, cover it with 3 or 4 mil plastic sealed with tape or putty. I'm thinking of the type of sealing tape used in vacuum bagging for fiberglass work I get at Aircraftspruce.com. Yes Paris, it might be a little spendy and there are probably equally effective alternates.

And,how about spray foam insulation like "Great Stuff"? There are several such products out there in minimal expanding, double expanding, tripple expanding and even a water clean up type. If you haven't used this around the house do some practicing first as the stuff is messy, expands more than you think in some cases and you usually have to use the whole can. It doesn't store well even after spending twenty minutes cleaning up the staw and trigger thinkihg you'll use the rest another day.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rotor Flap
I'm not far enough along on my project to speak from experience, but that hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for jump in with an opinion.

I think the sticky material referred to as iceguard is what I call ice and water shield used under shingles on roofs and around windows. I've seen two brands; Grace and PrimeSource. Around here, we call it "*****thane" as it's not east to work with on a roof especially on a windy day. And, it's rather spendy in roof size rolls.

As far as any asphalt product, my concern would be odor. Tar paper and the such have an unpleasent aroma and not used much in gourment cooking. On a hot day I think the stink would drive me to drink.

How about using carpet pading? Glue it into doors and on floors and for moisture resistance, cover it with 3 or 4 mil plastic sealed with tape or putty. I'm thinking of the type of sealing tape used in vacuum bagging for fiberglass work I get at Aircraftspruce.com. Yes Paris, it might be a little spendy and there are probably equally effective alternates.

And,how about spray foam insulation like "Great Stuff"? There are several such products out there in minimal expanding, double expanding, tripple expanding and even a water clean up type. If you haven't used this around the house do some practicing first as the stuff is messy, expands more than you think in some cases and you usually have to use the whole can. It doesn't store well even after spending twenty minutes cleaning up the staw and trigger thinkihg you'll use the rest another day.

The only thing wrong with taping down plastic, is that condensation will form under the plastic, and do more harm than good.
The major problem with Great Stuff is that it would dislodge and squeak like crazy rubbing on sheet metal. It is also very hard to control.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.