Hot Rod Forum banner

dynamat or cheaper stuff

20K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
On ebay you can buy a product that claims its better than dynamat but alot cheaper.Everyone wants to save money but is it actually better?It looks the same but is it the same.Has anyone used the knock -off dynamat before?Is it worth the money you save?I have to do a whole 78 wagon and will need quite a bit so id like to save.Outside of dynamat and the stuff like dynamat what else is available?

#28 ·
i have been using lizardskin for about 7 years. i use it on the restomod corvette i just finished. it is a product that does what it claims. it kills noise and gives the car a solid sound. it stops heat migration on long trips. i've tried many and after 150 miles in july the carpet is just as hot as the bottom of the car. i want my cars quiet and cool. saving a few bucks is just not worth it . the last 56 truck i did had only 1/4 in padding under the carpet. not 1 1/2 of jute .

#29 ·
Insulation Products

I'm not far enough along on my project to speak from experience, but that hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for jump in with an opinion.

I think the sticky material referred to as iceguard is what I call ice and water shield used under shingles on roofs and around windows. I've seen two brands; Grace and PrimeSource. Around here, we call it "*****thane" as it's not east to work with on a roof especially on a windy day. And, it's rather spendy in roof size rolls.

As far as any asphalt product, my concern would be odor. Tar paper and the such have an unpleasent aroma and not used much in gourment cooking. On a hot day I think the stink would drive me to drink.

How about using carpet pading? Glue it into doors and on floors and for moisture resistance, cover it with 3 or 4 mil plastic sealed with tape or putty. I'm thinking of the type of sealing tape used in vacuum bagging for fiberglass work I get at Aircraftspruce.com. Yes Paris, it might be a little spendy and there are probably equally effective alternates.

And,how about spray foam insulation like "Great Stuff"? There are several such products out there in minimal expanding, double expanding, tripple expanding and even a water clean up type. If you haven't used this around the house do some practicing first as the stuff is messy, expands more than you think in some cases and you usually have to use the whole can. It doesn't store well even after spending twenty minutes cleaning up the staw and trigger thinkihg you'll use the rest another day.

#30 ·
Old Rotor Flap said:
I'm not far enough along on my project to speak from experience, but that hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for jump in with an opinion.

I think the sticky material referred to as iceguard is what I call ice and water shield used under shingles on roofs and around windows. I've seen two brands; Grace and PrimeSource. Around here, we call it "*****thane" as it's not east to work with on a roof especially on a windy day. And, it's rather spendy in roof size rolls.

As far as any asphalt product, my concern would be odor. Tar paper and the such have an unpleasent aroma and not used much in gourment cooking. On a hot day I think the stink would drive me to drink.

How about using carpet pading? Glue it into doors and on floors and for moisture resistance, cover it with 3 or 4 mil plastic sealed with tape or putty. I'm thinking of the type of sealing tape used in vacuum bagging for fiberglass work I get at Aircraftspruce.com. Yes Paris, it might be a little spendy and there are probably equally effective alternates.

And,how about spray foam insulation like "Great Stuff"? There are several such products out there in minimal expanding, double expanding, tripple expanding and even a water clean up type. If you haven't used this around the house do some practicing first as the stuff is messy, expands more than you think in some cases and you usually have to use the whole can. It doesn't store well even after spending twenty minutes cleaning up the staw and trigger thinkihg you'll use the rest another day.

The only thing wrong with taping down plastic, is that condensation will form under the plastic, and do more harm than good.
The major problem with Great Stuff is that it would dislodge and squeak like crazy rubbing on sheet metal. It is also very hard to control.

#35 ·
building materials belong on your house, not in your hotrod :D when looking for insulation be careful. it is heat migration you have to overcome. the wrong stuff will be as hot on top as it is on bottom after a few miles. bubble wrap foil, roofing seal and such make terrible insulation.

#36 ·
Shine is absolutely right. If you want to save money, find someplace else to save money and use products that are intended for the use you have in mind.

#38 ·
Many times materials supplied by the building industries are much better quality's (you know there's a building code for material standards) than what hotrod suppliers have.

It's just that someone found a material from some other industry and repackaged it, doubled the price and is selling the stuff to unsuspecting car builders.

Lizardskin is paint with glass micro ballons in it. Does it work, sure does. Just one can buy from Aircraft spruce in bulk and mix your own.

We have the net and search engines so anything thats made can be found and not from only one supplier. There's always someone selling the same stuff in better quanitys and cheaper.

#39 ·
i've yet to hear any results from home made lizardskin. and roofing materials dont belong inside a car. sooner or later the fumes will migrate out and then you have trouble. this i have seen and it is a mess trying to get it out once it has melted and bonded.

#40 ·
Isn't that what you want, the sound proofing bonding to the metal of the body so it won't sound tinny?
I've seen one metal body with soo much DynaMat installed, the body sounded like it was made from 1/2 glass! But I guess that's what the guy wanted. I wonder what it will smell like after it bakes in the hot sun?

#42 ·
i doubt lizardskin is paint although it is laytex base. i have a 1/2 of a tub that is over a year old. it still stirs up loose. dont think some latex paint would last. i've talked with bob call who owned it many times and have used it on many cars now. it does just what it claims. i also have sat in a nice car that burned my eyes because of fumes. i'll stick to proven materials that work. dont think my customers would like me using snake oils :D

#43 · (Edited)
There was a long post on making a lizard skin clone, with the glass micro bubbles. It is a very interesting read with a lot of good info. I would recommend reading it. Mcmaster carr has stuff like Dynamat. Check them out. They have a ton of stuff that we can use. Read the specs on Dynamat and what they sell, it will surprise you how much they are alike.

A lot of the floor sound absolving stuff was asphalt based. At least German stuff was. It worked on heat transfer too.... I would say it was used because it was cheap. It was too long ago for me to remember if their was a smell. It is hot enough in Texas to make it smell if it did. The jute stuff would not smell, but I don't think it did as good a job.

#44 ·
Dynamat or cheaper stuff

Thanks for all the feed back,some good and some not so good. A friend of mine gave me a spray gun for lizard skin to use. I will look for posts on how to make your own and check aircraft spruce also. I just hate to make others rich from our hobby, but don't mind spending for good value. I think Dynamat is trying to get rich quick.

#47 ·
use lizardskin once and you'll know it is not paint . i will never understand some of this. i have yet to hear any results because none of the cars are finished . i have used lizardskin for over 7 years and done many cars with it. it works way better than dynamat or jute. fills all the voids which by the way is where the heat comes from . on the corvettes is works really great. gives the car a solid sound and keeps the cabin cool.

#48 ·
Micro Spheres

If you're interested in the home-brew version of the shin as discussed here, go to aircraftspruce.com and look at item 01-14600 for the one pound supply of micro spheres or item 01-14700 for the five pounder.

Be careful! These glass spheres are tiny and very light. Wear a mask, gloves and goggles when handling them. They will drift on a weak breeze and be everywhere if you dump some. A pound goes a long way - depending on how much you mix in. It's like mixing nitro (before the 90% rule) If some is good, more is better and too much is just right.

I've been buying from Aircraft Spruce since the early '70's. I even remember their old place in Fullerton. Great company. If you're near Corona, CA stop in and they'll even pick you up at the gen-av airport nearby..... I don't know if they'll take you back, if you don't buy anything.

#49 ·
Has anyone ever mixed the glass bubbles from Aircraft Spruce with an oil based paint? I scored two gallons of oil based paint from Home Depot that was returned by a customer for $5.00 ea. Was hoping to use them with the glass bubbles on my interior,before upholstery. Please comment soon as I will be doing this real soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.