dynamat or cheaper stuff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 AM
406 six speed

Wiki Edits: 0

dynamat or cheaper stuff

On ebay you can buy a product that claims its better than dynamat but alot cheaper.Everyone wants to save money but is it actually better?It looks the same but is it the same.Has anyone used the knock -off dynamat before?Is it worth the money you save?I have to do a whole 78 wagon and will need quite a bit so id like to save.Outside of dynamat and the stuff like dynamat what else is available?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Always amazes me how rodders come up with an innovation then vendors come up with a way to make BIG BUCKS out of the innovation. Alloy wheels were popular, could get a set anywhere for a couple hundred then Boyd, et al, come out with billet ones that cost a couple $thousand ea. Cal Auto Wheel spinners were popular for $20/ set so Boyd, et al come out with billet spinners that cost $1000 ea. Tar and tar paper layers are great for sound deadening so vendors come out with DynaMat that costs $$$/sqft. Junk yard seat belts are popular so vendors come out with designer belts for $$$$$. Imitation leather upholstery is popular so vendors come out with real leather for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Hot rods used to be what kids built on the cheap to have fun with now cost more than the typical home mortgage.
Old 03-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Dynamat

I was wondering WOTH "Dynamat" was..Well now I know..

Get some of the self sticky roll roofing stuff from home depot and put that inside the doors and panels to cut down on noise and drumming..

Some of this fancy "hot rod" stuff is nothing more than ordinary common materials with "high dollar" names..

OMT
Old 03-15-2005, 11:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Don't take my word for it, I'm just a venting angry old man!!

Go with the ebaY cheap stuff. Probably a step up from the tar system but more cost effective than the hi-tech stuff.

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 03-15-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Grrrr..Grinnnn

Hey Willys,
We get to be cranky once in a while..We earned it..

OMT
Old 03-16-2005, 06:57 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Willys, that imitation leather is expensive. They have to create and kill imitation cows !! LOL
Old 03-16-2005, 06:58 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

Did you see my post about the Snap On Willys? Its 1/18 scale I think. White with purplish colored letters on trunk. In a bag. Didn't see a box. I can ask how much, if yor interested. Probably $30 or so. I saw it at a flea market.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Nope, didn't see the Snap-On post but I know which car you are talking about. That is 1/24th scale and was a premium offered by Snap-On to customers 3 or 4 years ago. They sold it with a small carry-on tool kit. That cars is made by a company called Spec-Cast which makes several car models (model A, '50 Chevy panel wagon, etc.) for companies to slap their logos on and sell for $25. The Willys has been issued in Harley Davidson, Hot August Nights, State Farm Insurance and a bunch of other promo colors. Spec Cast has a program where you pay a $25 fee and get first dibs on buying the promos when they come out. I have sent in my $25 twice and never heard a word from Spec Cast. They love to take the money but customer service is not in their vocabulary. I have that car in my collection along with probably 200 other die-cast Willys.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:50 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Not to steal this thread, but I've always been concerned about using this stuff that sticks. Doesn't moisture get trapped between it and the metal?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:12 PM
I smell like a hotrod!

Last journal entry: windshield
Last photo:

Just going to throw in my two cents. If you want the bet buy Hushmat. Dynamat will crack when it gets warm, but Hushmat won't. The stuff has a layer of foil on one side for a little heat barrier and the other side is like tar. This stuff will cutout road noise, and keep your metal from rattling if you have a big stereo.
Another brand that is the same consistency is called brown bread.
Any sound deading material is expensive.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:42 PM

You could also try Raammat and Second Skin Audio. SSA also has some spray in products, but I don't have any experience with them yet. Stay away from Home Depot tar junk. Call me crazy, but when you're in the hot sun and that stuff falls off the roof and starts getting warm, your car will smell like asphalt and you'll wish you had never put it in. Get some Raammat, it's every bit as good as Dynamat but without the outrageous price.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:33 AM

Last photo:

The price of everything goes up once a big name gets put to it. I also agree with "Beenaway2long". We used to use Naugahyde to cover everything. Then came the international shortage of Naugas. Then PETA got involved and eatablished the Save the Naugas Foundation, "SNF". Now you can't even find a decent, inexpensive nauga hide. So now were stuck using imitation leather, which is almost as expensive as real cow leather. The price of imitation leather is being driven up due to the imitation guns, bullets and high cost imitation traps that had to be developed to hunt the imitation animals. When will this madness end!!! Time for my pills!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

There's a product that the home stores sell - I believe its called iceguard.

One side is bare mastik-like substance, the back is some sort of plastic. Has a peel-away piece of waxed brown paper to protect the mastik.

Its relatively inexpensive.

If you prep the surface properly (no dirt, grease or oil) it sticks quite well when cold and is almost impossible to remove when warm. It can be cut with scissors or tin snips, fitted while the paper backing is still on, then it is pressed onto the surface. A hair dryer or heat gun will aid getting it to form to curved surfaces.

Its also waterproof.

I used it on my Allante before I put the interior back in. It took a lot of the tin sound out of the doors, and I used it along the entire floor under the carpet both for sound deadening and to reduce the chance of an occassional bit of water on the carpet from penetrating into the factory sound deadener (which tends to mold and stink when wet).

Been on the car for over a year and through a winter and summer and has yet to come off - not sure I could get it off if/when I wanted to.

I can't say if its better/worse than dynamat, but its a lot easier to apply permanently than tar paper - especially on vertical surfaces. You also don't have to put it up in large pieces - you can piece together a panel in sections and it works just fine. On the floor, I overlapped it to insure water-resistance, but on the doors I just covered as much as I could with individual pieces.

I'm happy with the deadening and waterproofing qualities, but I don't have a massive stereo, and with a ragtop, there's only so much soundproofing you can do before the existing noise through the top overwhelms any further reduction in the rest of the car.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last photo:

You would think that leather would be DIRT CHEAP ! Look at how many cows give their life for McDonals alone !!! Add Burger King, and the multitude of fast food companies, resturaunts, and of course the grocery store. That stuff should be next to nothing !!

Time to genetically engineer cows to have pre-dyed hides...
Old 05-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
You would think that leather would be DIRT CHEAP ! Look at how many cows give their life for McDonals alone !!! Add Burger King, and the multitude of fast food companies, resturaunts, and of course the grocery store. That stuff should be next to nothing !!

Time to genetically engineer cows to have pre-dyed hides...
Good one Been. That has bugged me for years. Looking at what goes into making Naugahyde vs. taking a relatively free byproduct of making hamburger and doing a couple of simple chemical treatments, it makes no sense to me why leather is such a premium product.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.