Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator 4 U - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator 4 U

Hello,

This is my first post in this forum so please allow me to introduce myself. My forum name is McGurk and I have been retired from racing for over thirty years. I raced a Pro Comp dragster powred by a 364ci blown alcohol small block back in the late 70's. I sold the car in 1979 and I have not been to a drag race since then.

After thirty+ years I decided to build another hot rod, but it will never be raced. My hot rod is a 32 Ford coupe that will be powered with a 427ci small block Chevy. The engine has all of the killer parts so it should be quite a ride when it's completed. With the low octane pump gas I was concerned about the compression ratio, both static and dynamic.

I have never been concerned about dynamic compression before because all of my experience was with blown alcohol engines. The only way that I knew how to calculate the DCR was to first draw the mechanical aspect of it in my Mastercam CAD/CAM program to determine the position of the piston when the intake valve closed. After doing so it dawned on me that I could automate the calculation by calling on one of my other skills which is writing software.

Dynamic Compression Ratio, DCR, is a topic that many engine builders, both young and old (like myself), have never dealt with before so they may consider it to be over their heads. No shame in that because I was in that position couple of months ago.

As a token of friendship I have attached a zipped copy of my DCR Calculator. All values are considered to be positive with the exception of the deck height which can be positive or negative to allow for builds where the piston pops out of the block. If working between friends or a client you can send an e-mail message directly from the calculator. There will automatically be a picture of the calculator attached to the e-mail message. If you wish to pass the calculator to another party then there's a check box that when checked will attach a copy of the DCR Calculator to your e-mail message.

NOTE: I needed to know what the compression would be prior to ordering the cylinder heads and pistons so I used a 5% margin of error to account for the void above the upper piston ring and between the piston and cylinder wall.

If you want an exact compression calculation then you must do the following:

1: Measure the cylinder bore diameter.
((cylinder bore diameter / 2) x 3.14159265358979) = cylinder surface area

2: Measure diameter of piston above the top piston ring.
((piston diameter / 2) x 3.14159265358979) = piston surface area

3: Measure length of the top piston ring land.

4: ((cylinder bore surface area - piston surface area) x length of top piston ring land) = volume.

5: Add (volume x 16.387) to volume of combustion chamber.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DCR Calculator.zip (1.48 MB, 244 views)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi
Welcome to Hotrodders.com Glad to have you with us

I down loaded the Calculator. Thank You!
I'll start playing with it tomorrow, I'm tooo tired now.
Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.