Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler doesnt cure? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
I hadn't thought about this in years! I don't remember what filler brands they were but I used filler for years that was like that. OMG it would literally have a gummy surface that you could scrape with your fingernail.

Sorry but I haven't seen it in years because I have used Evercoat products for years. I wouldn't go back for nothing, the price of filler in the big picture isn't that much, I am going to go for the better stuff. Evercoat Rage is my filler of choice.

Think about this, let's say we are going a full on restoration and will be using two or three gallons of filler. Evercoat costs twice as much as the cheapie stuff. I just looked it up and the Dynatron Ultralite is about half as much at 25ish dollars while the Rage is in the 50 dollar range.

So you are going to use three gallons of filler on your car, that means it will cost you about $75 more for your Rage filler that you can cut with 180 grit and not clog it. Just how much are you planning on spending on the cars rebuild, $5000, $10,000? That seventy five bucks isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I hadn't thought about this in years! I don't remember what filler brands they were but I used filler for years that was like that. OMG it would literally have a gummy surface that you could scrape with your fingernail.

Sorry but I haven't seen it in years because I have used Evercoat products for years. I wouldn't go back for nothing, the price of filler in the big picture isn't that much, I am going to go for the better stuff. Evercoat Rage is my filler of choice.

Think about this, let's say we are going a full on restoration and will be using two or three gallons of filler. Evercoat costs twice as much as the cheapie stuff. I just looked it up and the Dynatron Ultralite is about half as much at 25ish dollars while the Rage is in the 50 dollar range.

So you are going to use three gallons of filler on your car, that means it will cost you about $75 more for your Rage filler that you can cut with 180 grit and not clog it. Just how much are you planning on spending on the cars rebuild, $5000, $10,000? That seventy five bucks isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Brian

But Brian you will SAVE $75.00 on sand paper.. Plus all the time..
Old 11-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
But Brian you will SAVE $75.00 on sand paper.. Plus all the time..

LOL, I hadn't thought about that number, the sand paper! You are right, and again, I use only NEW, HIGH QUALITY, SHARP sand paper as well. Life is way too short to "polish" instead of sanding. The most common mistake in sanding filler is using the wrong grit or cheap paper that isn't CUTTING the filler flat. And when you are using cheap filler that gums up the paper you aren't CUTTING it flat when you are sanding, you're rubbing the resin off the surface instead! You can't get anything straight that way!

Like my brother says "I have never said, I sure am glad I bought the cheaper tool".

Brian
Old 11-20-2011, 12:44 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i use evercoat 870 a lot. otherwise it am switching to the epoxy hybrid to see if i like it . if not i may just make my own filler with west products.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input guys, but this isn`t a temperature or mixing problem. I do bodywork for living and been working with good stuff like PPG and Glassurit and not so good stuff also. I haven't seen this with any other brand and Im only using this now because the seller swears this is far better than any other around with very good flexibility but after a couple hours of use I can tell you I don`t think I will use this s**t again, ever. It really sucks!!! It`s not practical to use twice amount of sandpaper
By the way, temperature here is around 90f.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 AM

Anytime a salesman says "Best stuff around", it usually belongs in the trash.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyb
Anytime a salesman says "Best stuff around", it usually belongs in the trash.
As the saying goes ...

Q. Do you know how to tell when a salesman is lying to you?
A. His lips are moving.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
...and stay away from anything that comes with RED hardner.
dbm? explain this^^^

we use duraglass or evercoat products in the shop. we have all the same hardener in different colors; green, blue and red. the rep says it is all the same hardener. duraglass is red so we use the green or blue harder to see when it is mixed properly. liteweight is grey so we can use any color. spot putty is green so we use red or blue.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

I was always told it's all the same hardener....
The color was added to be able to know when it is mixed all the way.... Did someone lie to me about this ???
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

Evercoat eliminated the red hardener years ago due to bleeding problems.

Brian
Old 11-21-2011, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Evercoat eliminated the red hardener years ago due to bleeding problems.

Brian

I like the blue better anyway...
Old 11-21-2011, 02:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I like the blue better anyway...
And how about the Evercoat "Glaze coat" with a white hardener, OMG you can't see when you mix it. I am told the Glaze coat and Metal coat are exactly the same with just different colors. I like the Glaze coat color but with blue hardener.

Brian
Old 11-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

My jobber just got a few gallons of USC special lite (grey/black can), gave it a shot at only 14 bucks a gallon, and honestly cant tell the difference from the z-grip that I usually use. Problem is that once he gets another batch in the price goes way up.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:44 PM

Bondo bondo bondo. To me theres not quite enough info to give an accurate solution to the problem. But this is what i would try. Kneed the hardener before use and check to make sure it hasn't expired. Next make sure the filler is mixed. Check what the ambient temp. Is. Remember room temp doesnot mean the surface temp. Of the surface that you will apply the filler will be the same. Make sure the surfaces are clean and degreased. Mix only.what you need the more u mix the faster is will harden as a general rule. Also for a golf ball size of filler you only need the amount of hardener the size of a pea. Make sure its thoughly mixed and not marbelized.ie hardener streaks. Apply in 1direction. This controls uniformity and consistancy of the filler on the surface. Wait for the filler the fully catalize. Harden. On average it takes 15-20 mins for a good cure at 20 degrees cel. If all this dont help change product. It might not be good anymore. Peroxide hardener has an average shelf.life of 2years wheree as filler is good up to1-2 if it has not been opened.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube508
Bondo bondo bondo. To me theres not quite enough info to give an accurate solution to the problem. But this is what i would try. Kneed the hardener before use and check to make sure it hasn't expired. Next make sure the filler is mixed. Check what the ambient temp. Is. Remember room temp doesnot mean the surface temp. Of the surface that you will apply the filler will be the same. Make sure the surfaces are clean and degreased. Mix only.what you need the more u mix the faster is will harden as a general rule. Also for a golf ball size of filler you only need the amount of hardener the size of a pea. Make sure its thoughly mixed and not marbelized.ie hardener streaks. Apply in 1direction. This controls uniformity and consistancy of the filler on the surface. Wait for the filler the fully catalize. Harden. On average it takes 15-20 mins for a good cure at 20 degrees cel. If all this dont help change product. It might not be good anymore. Peroxide hardener has an average shelf.life of 2years wheree as filler is good up to1-2 if it has not been opened.

You must not have read ever post.... This is not the problem...
Did you ''EVER'' try this stuff... I had three guy's try to give me this stuff after they realized it stay's tacky for over a week.... And I do know all about how to mix it and how much....Now if you didn't use this stuff.... I really don't think you know about it.... And by the way you posted here... I don't think you did use it... But that I don't know...... ''NOTHING'' Will change what everyone is saying about this.... It doesn't get hard On the outer layer... Pain and simple......You can go mix it for him... IT WON'T GET HARD..... Now if this was one guy saying this.... Well !!!! Just maybe he didn't do something right.... But it's being said by ''EVERYONE'' that has tried it....

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.