Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler doesnt cure? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/dynatron-ultralite-body-filler-doesnt-cure-209024.html)

south65ss 11-19-2011 06:42 PM

Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler doesnt cure?

Today was my first time using Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler and no matter how much hardener I mix with it seems like it doesn't cures 100%. In the first sanding the sandpaper gets saturated and after taking off the first layer it looks just normal, I mean hard and perfectly workable. What am I doing wrong?. This can`t be normal!

mitmaks 11-19-2011 08:21 PM

how cold is the metal that you're applying it to, what is air temperature? How much hardener you're mixing to a golf ball size of body filler?

rsfyj 11-19-2011 08:25 PM

did you mix thoughrly

Mix it well

mitmaks 11-19-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsfyj
Mix it well

x2. Not sure how much filler you've mixed but you do have to mix it thoroughly. You don't want to see any hardener streaks in it. Also being November it probably will take longer to cure as it's pretty cold and like I've mentioned it'll depend on temperature of steel and room temperature.

NEW INTERIORS 11-19-2011 08:30 PM

That stuff will do that.... Reg bondo does the same thing now..... The only one you won't see that with is the Rage... You will not have that problem with rage.... I used Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler once and said I'll never use it again..... Bondo is the same way... I'm going to start using Rage again and just eat the difference in price... But then again with the sand paper you will save it will weigh out to the same....

Like you said... Once you cut the top it sands better.... But you waste so much paper that way...

NEW INTERIORS 11-19-2011 08:34 PM

You can mix it as long and as good as you want,,,, The top isn't tack free at all... On 100* days here and leaving it sit 24 hrs,, Doesn't make any difference.. :nono:

I agree 100% on mixing it... But that will not make it tack free like it say's.. :nono:

NEW INTERIORS 11-19-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by south65ss
Today was my first time using Dynatron Ultralite Body Filler and no matter how much hardener I mix with it seems like it doesn't cures 100%. In the first sanding the sandpaper gets saturated and after taking off the first layer it looks just normal, I mean hard and perfectly workable. What am I doing wrong?. This can`t be normal!

Your not doing anything wrong... Try Rage and you will see it isn't you.. :D

powderbill 11-19-2011 09:17 PM

It is not entirely uncommon for unsaturated polyesters to exhibit some reduced cure on the top surface layer. This phenomenon is known as air inhibition of cure, and is the result of oxygen from the air inhibiting the cure reaction. Ordinarily, it occurs only a few mils deep, and does not mean that the layers of resin beneath the surface are adversely affected. Sand off the surface layer, accept a bit of gummed up sandpaper, and proceed with adding additonal layers if needed.

Lizer 11-19-2011 10:41 PM

Why pay the premium for Rage when you can get Marson Platinum for a fraction of the price? It's almost the exact same thing as Rage, polyester, very creamy, and sands easily.

shine 11-20-2011 05:47 AM

if Dynatron Bondo made it i don't use it. if the difference in price of bondo is that important your in the wrong hobby. like randy i use evercoat products.
and yes dynatron drys tacky every time.

deadbodyman 11-20-2011 06:32 AM

Rage is a little too creamy for me,I like Z-grip....it seams to shrink less too ...both are 25-30.00 a gal and are very good evercoat products...dont get bondo from the auto parts store and stay away from anything that comes with RED hardner.
But if your one of those guys that ,on a whim got a qt.of bondo a sand paper pac a some rattle cans of primer from auto zone and an electric drill and think your going to restore an old car in the back yard,dont worry about it ......the car will never get finished....
Do your homework....ask the pros questions and know what to use and how your going to do it BEFORE you start..your going to have enough trouble even using the right stuff....without making more for yourself...

NEW INTERIORS 11-20-2011 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer
Why pay the premium for Rage when you can get Marson Platinum for a fraction of the price? It's almost the exact same thing as Rage, polyester, very creamy, and sands easily.

That's OK... We used rage on this truck..... 16 yrs later after going through four owner and it still look's like the day we painted it.... I will pay the difference... :D There isn't a rage crack ANYWHERE'S on this truck..... ;)

And right now this truck is sitting outside with four flat tires and can Easily be washed off and still walk away with a top award today..So again... I have seen the test for rage first hand.... And the paper you save is the award in it's self... :mwink:

When it comes to a 6 to 8,000 dollar paint job.... It mean a lot what you use for a foundation... ;)

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...id=59993&stc=1

Lizer 11-20-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shine
if the difference in price of bondo is that important your in the wrong hobby.

You should ask Barryk why he doesn't use Rage then. He's the one who steered me away from it in the first place. I usually try to buy the best stuff that I reasonably can. But I don't want to spend a premium on something just for the name. After doing some research on it, I found a lot of people liked the Platinum as much or better than Rage, which is ultimately why I ended up going with it instead.

cyclopsblown34 11-20-2011 10:44 AM

The Dynatron products all seem to behave that way. Since 3M bought them, the 3M lightweight acts kind of similar. I currently have a gallon of 3M Platinum Plus I'm using at the suggestion of my supplier after he suggested 3M Lightweight in place of Rage, it sands really easy but once it is gone, I'm going back to Rage and Z-Grip. Evercoat seems to be willing to stay consistent with a quality product. 3M seems to be trying to find the cheapest way to make it. This is just my opinion though.

66GMC 11-20-2011 11:34 AM

https://partimages.genpt.com/partimages/539997.jpg
NAPA (Canada) has a line called "BodyPro" filler that is repackaged Evercoat.

I'm fairly sure that someone else also sells a "Rage" clone ... just can't recall the brand name right now.