Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - dyno - never again
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2006, 07:03 PM
ASE Certified Master Machinist

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: More Pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbird
The “technicians” looked like they were straight out of high school and pronounced stoich as sto-eee-ch. Morons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbird
Where have all the carb guys gone? Finding people that are good at tuning and know carburetors from top to bottom are hard to come by. I searched all over before I finally went to these guys.
The situation you ran into is very common around here. One of my customers has a Cobra replica with a carbed 394 stroker in it. He took it to 3 different shops with chassis dynos that assured him they could tune his carb. Every time he got it back it was worse than when he took it in. He stopped in and asked if I knew how to tune carbs. I showed him the Biscayne(see my photo album) and took him a ride. He asked how I tuned if I didn't have a chassis dyno. When i said "by driving the car", he was suprised. He left the car and left my shop a happy customer when he picked it up. Part of the problem is, due to most car magazines and TV shows, people think that you have to have a chassis dyno to tune. The other part of the problem is a lot of the younger people have no knowledge of a carb and most times, no desire to learn.