Dyno Pulls and Blow by at high RPM - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2004, 09:04 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Dyno Pulls and Blow by at high RPM

I recently went to a car show that had a Dyno at it. I took my car (http://home.earthlink.net/~noegoman1...%20Project.htm) and ran it on the dyno. When my car hit about 6000 rpm, a little black smoke came out the exhaust. I was alarmed at first. I thought a piston ring had cracked, or something worse. The car still runs great, with no burning of oil.
I watched several other cars on the dyno, and it seems that almost all cars start to burn oil or start creating smokey exhaust while at very high rpms.
Why is this? What is going on here? After thinking on this for a while, I came up with a theory that a high pressure in the crank case may be forcing a greater amount of oil into the cylinder. I would love to find out the actual cause of this. (and maybe possible fixes) -Ed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I think that High RPM/ High load there is not a lot of vacuum from the PCV to properly clear the crankcase and seal the rings?
Old 12-07-2004, 10:06 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

I'm guessing the operator pulled a load on the dyno to prevent over over reving. This load deecreased the vacuum and opened the fuel enrichment circiut and the engine ran rich. Rich enough to bellow the black smoke.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

A little black/brown smoke is a good thing when the engine is under load. It just means the engine is running a little rich, which is very important under load. AFR is much leaner under load. I would bet that johnsongrass hit the nail on the head.

BTW, what kind of numbers did the car make?

Chris
Old 12-07-2004, 11:15 AM

My dyno numbers

My car did not do very well on the dyno. I am currently investigating ways to correct any problems with it (and I am very much open to suggestions).

The car, with the holley systemax II on a 350 (.030) put up:

269.88 ft-lbs of torque

225.48 Horsepower

at the rear wheels.

The mixture started out very lean, at almost 16:1 ratio, but as the secondaries came in over a period of 500 rpm, the ratio richened to 14:1, then to 13.5:1 at the higher RPMs.

The dyno guys pointed out that it was knocking, so the timing was too far advanced.

What all can I do to get my number up to where they should be?
-Ed
Old 12-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

The knocking is likely not from the timing, but from AFR. A gasoline engine should never run at 16:1...period. That is too lean even for cruising. 14:1 is way to lean for power. 13.5:1 is getting closer, but is still a little lean under full power in high RPM. You need to get the carb tuned properly. Likely just needs a bump in the jet size and possibly a lower value power valve.

If the timing is too far advance that will also cause you to loose power. This is because the engine is basically fighting itself due to the early ignition. Timing will likely need to be around 36 total advance. Some engines with better chamber heads will like a little less like 34 or even as low as 32.

Chris

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.