Hot Rod Forum banner

On Dyno Tommorow..Anyone Want to Guess number??

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  001mustang 
#1 ·
I'm going to dyno my New engine tommorow. So Everyone post a number for your guess for RWHP, and see how close you are. Use your desk top dyno. If using one let us know so we can see how close you are with it.

Here is my Specs:
Engine is SBC 383 with the following.
1. Heads dart pro 1 aluminum 215 64cc / dual springs / 7/16 studs / Intake – Exhaust 2.05 – 1.60VJ Comp Retainers / 220 seat pressure / Harland Sharp Roller Rocker 1.5 / 6" rods

2. Custom Ground Solid Roller Comp Cam:
Gross Valve Lift Intake: .600 Exhaust: .600

Duration @ .50 INT: .288 EXH: .292

41deg overlap at .050

3. Intake Open plenum Professional Product "Hurrican"
4. 30 over Mahlie forged flat top pistons / 2 valve reliefs

5. Carburetor: AED HO (Holley) 750HO / 1/2 ss gas line mech pump
6. Dynatech ceramic coated 1 3/4 stepped to 1 7/8 / 3" SS dual exhaust
7. Distributor: MSD Pro-Billet w/blaster coil/MSD 6AL
8. Compression 10-8
9. Rear end Moser 12 bolt with posi 373 / 17 crager / 275/50 rear /caltracs /
10. tranny Turbo 350 hughes w/3500 stall
11. electric fan

Head Flow numbers
200 300 400 500 600 700 / lift
INT 141 199 244 277 308 317
Ex 158 159 182 202 214 214

Hopefully nothing breaks..

See less See more
#5 ·
No desk top dyno, but use the G-Tech and been on an engine dyno once and chassis dyno twice just in the last year. Also running a 383 but my numbers will NOT be like anyone else's unless we have rock crawlers here. My roller numbers are 273 hp @ 4050 and 433 lb/ft @2800. Yours I'm guessing to be 320 to 345 hp @ 5900 and 355 to 395 lb/ft @ 4100.

That's my bet and I'm sticking to it.

Bob

#6 ·
About 15 T buckets ran the rollers this fine November day in SE Arizona, all were at least OHV sbc, lots of tunnel rams, a few blowers, and with the exception of 3 rides, laid down from 109 to just under 200 hp. The guy in this picture beat me by almost 100 hp, but I still had the highest torque numbers. One blown 454 small block mouse managed around 380 hp with a self imposed throttle stop that only allowed 1/2 throttle from the pedal. He was an older gentleman and his engine was a $15K pro built.

Bob

#10 ·
It should be faster than walking.

You can make a dyno say pretty much what ever you want. Even the same settings on two dyno's will not be the exact same. What runs goo on the dyno doesn't always directly realte to performance on the track or street eiether so try not to get into that trap.

Duration @ .50 INT: .288 EXH: .292
This isn't correct I'm sure of it.

#20 ·
Sorry, its been so long, but had to go on a short deployment. So I have not been able to make it back to the dyno guy. Maybe soon. I did go to the track today. I ran a 11.7. I was spinning coming off the line and was not hitting my shift at the right times. It will take me some time to dial it in, but I feel I can easily run low 11s.

#22 ·
Well the car is a 68 Camaro wgt is 3400 with out me. As far as the cam specs... Allot of controversy on that. The guy I had assemble my engine, I also had him order me a custum gind. He swears the duration at 50 is INT: .288 EXH: .292. I ask him many times to make sure that was not advertised duration and he said no it was at 50. So I have my doubts.

#23 ·
obengston said:
Well the car is a 68 Camaro wgt is 3400 with out me. As far as the cam specs... Allot of controversy on that. The guy I had assemble my engine, I also had him order me a custum gind. He swears the duration at 50 is INT: .288 EXH: .292. I ask him many times to make sure that was not advertised duration and he said no it was at 50. So I have my doubts.
That would be a hell of a cam. BTW, the specs for duration are in degrees, as in 288° intake and 292° exhaust.

A cam w/that much duration wouldn't be able to use an ignition timing curve per se, most likely you'd need to lock it in at the total advance, possible using a vacuum advance and a timing retard (or separate starter and ignition switches) to allow it to start when hot w/o kicking back or dragging the starter.

There wouldn't be enough vacuum for power brakes and it would be idling above 1000 RPM. The idle would be decidedly rough. Not just some lope- I mean ROUGH.

This sound like what you have?

#24 ·
Not exactly lol. I didn't have to much vac so I did away with the power brakes and went with hydro. The timing is set at about 19-20 initial with total right now at about 36. Idles at about 8-900. I quess the only way I will ever know is buy another one that way I can have it... Anyway I ask him so many times, and he said that it was basicall a race cam that was based off a 700 lift, but custum downed for what I wanted.. what ever that meant. I quess I need to put more pressure on him to call the guy while I'm there and ask him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.