E 85 for Hot rods ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 11:59 AM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

E 85 for Hot rods ???

I'm about ready to run a new street rod. It has an Edelbrock Performer RPM crate motor. Premium gas is really not to great here but E 85 is readily avaiable. Got any thoughts on running this stuff.?? It will take re-jetting the carb and tuning the spark advance I'm sure. I would think it has good anti knock properties with all the ethanol in it. This motor has failrly high compression but with aluminum heads. I have an MSD system and a good coil.
The car weighs 2600 and has a turbo 350 and 3.50 gears and 32 inch tires.
gas cost really isn't the issue here, I would like to get reasonable mileage but this is a hot rod and I don't expect much beyond 15 mpg. Mainly I don't want the thing knocking itself to death whenever I step on it and I would like to see the motor do what it is capable of.
wahattaya think. is this doable??

BTW I run bio diesel in my truck and don't have any probles with it...except inthe winter.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

the first thought that came to mind is you would have to make sure the compression does not get too high. Seems to me E85 would more have a place in a cruiser than a true hot rod. Maybe use octane booster, otherwise you might have detonation issues with a higher compression motor.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:02 PM

Nope! E85 is almost straight Ethanol alcohol,thus has a very high octane rating.In fact higher than any gasoline.If mileage is your concern stay away from it.If properly carbureted you will get about 40% less mileage.Also your carb,fuel lines and fuel pump will have to be nickel plated.But if you really want to play around with it start with main jets about 30% larger in diameter.Same for accelerator pump squirters.Idle mix screws open one more full turn.Cold start bellow 50f only with the addition of gasoline through a small electric pump,like windshield washer.Timing can be advanced but faster burn rate requires less total.Good luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM

Octane booster won't be an issue, having enough compression might be. I started a thread about ethanol/e85 but it didn't go very far. MPG will probably suck along with power unless you can make up for some of it with compression. E85 has an octane rating of over 100 (106 I think), but low BTUs. I still think it would make for a neat project.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: Got it running
Last photo:

i guess I was wrong. I was thinking of the stuff they used to sell at a convenience store near where I lived. Probably won't be the last time I was wrong.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:38 PM

Last wiki edit: Computer dyno simulation and engine building softw... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Here is where you need to go:

http://www.e85fuel.com

I have never so much as squeezed the pump handle on E85, but everything I read and hear looks promising.

You will probably need to use special fuel line (rubber sections) and make sure the alky does not attack any metals in your carb or lines.

You would not be able to switch back and forth between E85 and Gas without re-jetting. The new cars computers adjust the ratio automatically.

Finally, if you know E85 would be all you would ever run, you could bump up the compression ratio of a standard gasoline engine.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:51 AM

Last journal entry: Dads Coupe
Last photo:

E 85...blown motors dream fuel...

blown engines love E85 (85% alcohol, 15 % gasoline)....
alcohols high octane deters detonation....
since blowers make compression go up, they need the higher octane...
alcohol is much colder...cools down the heat a blower makes....
alcohol runs burns far cleaner than gasoline...the whole engine benifits...
cleaner engine means longer lasting parts...(unless you stomp the snot out of it daily..... ...)

alcohol is non polluting....you dont need any smog devices...and the trees love it...
why the hell i cant get it ....in so calif...is criminal......the rest of the usa has it....
the oil cartel has us by the cahonnies....
Old 07-08-2006, 06:46 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

[QUOTE=bentwings]

but E 85 is readily avaiable

The car weighs 2600 and has a turbo 350 and 3.50 gears and 32 inch tires.
gas cost really isn't the issue here, I would like to get reasonable mileage but this is a hot rod and I don't expect much beyond 15 mpg. Mainly I don't want the thing knocking itself to death whenever I step on it and I would like to see the motor do what it is capable of.
wahattaya think. is this doable??

QUOTE]

I am not an expert, but have read a lot. May I comment?

E85 is 85 % ethanol.
It takes almost twice as much ethanol to make fuel mixture runable, needs more compression, so mileage will be in the dumps.... 15 will be impossible.
An E85 engine is stuck with E 85.

Ethanol is desirable for reduction of oil consumption.

Just thinking, thanks
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 AM

E85 Ethanol ,White lightnin' Power Fuel

Whether it's good for the tree's is just a bonus, my wife didn't complain, she encouraged me, ( from now I can ONLY have Hot Rods that run on E85 or pure White Lightnin' ). I'm currently re-building a Ford Essex(UK) V6 engine to run E85 actually any ethanol blend. As Ethanol performs really well at double or more compressions that Gasoline/petrol would pre-ignight itself to bits. I'm putting Ford 200 inch on 302 V8 Rods to run really high compressions. The Essex was built really heavily because someone wanted to use the block for both a diesel and a petrol engine. The diesel experiment was stopped and none were built, so all I'm actually doing is re-instating the diesel short motor putting the petrol/gasoline top end back. I'm not changing anything, No hot cam, No gas-flowed head nothing. I'm conservatively estimating a 10hp per whole digit compression rise that's 230hp from 143hp with gas.

Last edited by Yachtsman; 07-18-2012 at 03:16 AM. Reason: puntuation
Old 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Thumpin455 runs alcohol. He loves the stuff. says the higher the compression the better it runs and the better the mileage.
I would love to run the stuff in my hotrod, but they dont have many stations here in the keystone state.
Too bad, I could have run a stock 389 with 10.5 to one and liked it.
If it was readily available , I would be running it, but thats just me.I would have a blower on top too, for coolness and fun of course.
Everyone is different.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM

E85 MAY get kind of expensive and hard to find with the current Drought conditions in the Midwest states killing off the corn crop and corn being used in a few thousand things of our everyday life. Saw a mention on CNN of corn being used in of course foods, sweetners, and cosmetics and many many other products! Good think that we aren't totally dependent on it for transportation and can fall back on crude oil products!

Swiss
Old 07-19-2012, 03:11 AM

Re:E85 Ethanol ,White lightnin' Power Fuel

Just go to the supermarket and say what you want, old bread, old fruit, then ferment it, they'll probably give it to you. Corn is only starch then distil it just like your Great-grandfather. Before the first war most model T cars ran on 'shine. Every homestead had a still, You all over there can even get a licence, from the Government to make fuel.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:45 PM

I live within 100 miles of at least 4 ethanol plants and I can't buy e85 anywhere. Which is just as well if the stations stocked it, it would be sitting in a vented tank sucking up midwestern humidity.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:56 AM

True enough Ethanol is very hydroscopic even worse than brake fluid, but if you can get them to sell it to you you've got a great resource there I'm very envious.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

I have run E85 in most of my vehicles... my Dodge Ram (1997) now runs on it when I travel as it is lots cheaper here. My Ford F150 (1995) also ran good on it as did my wife's Cavalier.

I never ran it in my old, carbureted Dodge D100... I didn't think the fuel system would handle the alky.

Fuel economy was hardly any different... an FI system thats not rigged to sniff out E85 just meters the same amount of fuel no matter if it's E85 or reg gasoline... it won't know the difference. Might change the a/f ratio a bit... My Ford would run a little rough around town and trigger the check engine light but it ran fine on the hwy without the light on...

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.