???E BAY a tool to use or a tool to lose??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: ???E BAY a tool to use or a tool to lose???
good? 8 100.00%
bad? 0 0%
other? 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 06:52 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

???E BAY a tool to use or a tool to lose???

Hey Ya'll,

I'm looking for a way to generate income from home because i'm disabled and am unable to physically work in the automotive field any longer professionally

i would like input about anything that you might have experienced;
directly or indirectly...
rumors and facts...
good and / or bad...

about E BAY and/or any home based opportunities.
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you very much in advance.

rob
SR66

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Rob,

Ebay is a great place to sell just about anything. By far the best exposure for the little guy you could get in the entire world.

It's competitive however, and once others see you making a buck on something, you expect a copy cat to list items right next to yours and sometimes they will sell them unbelievably cheap to throw you off track.

Ebay's fees are pricey and paypal fees are a ripoff. You can sell on Ebay, but selling is not the problem. The challenge is to make a profit. It can be done, and many, many people have made it big on Ebay.

I think it's worth the old college try, and for somebody like you, who is disabled, I would go for it. I think I could make some big money on Ebay if I were dedicated to it full-time, but I just sell on a part time basis.

I have been a silver powerseller on Ebay on several occasions, and I have made a few pesos at it, however, I am dedicated to my shop right now.

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-13-2005, 07:32 PM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

I know from personal experience that e-bay has been good for us anyhow.My wife lost her job few years ago, she always had an eye for antiques, she started going to auctions and reselling on e-bay for the most part has done ok. However it is very time consuming, writing ads, pictures, packing, sending off all the time she had only one bad check,one neg feedback. I feel it is something you have to have a knack for, or it can be a pain, she has enjoyed it as kind of a working hobby she's been doing it for around 5 years.
However the past year it is getting harder to find deals and resale, or you have to buy higher end antiques and alittle more risk.
I guess you have to find something that can be resold or something new that can attrack a market.
The main thing I think to be somewhat successful is to be as honest and do your best to represent what your are doing or selling as is "you" were the buyer. Be sure to ask freinds that have been doing e-bay for awhile especially more than just a few items , to guide you, and what to watch out for.
Hope this helps somewhat good luck.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Ive only sold a few things on ebay, while Ive also bought alot off of ebay.
Ive sold things on ebay for my mom and dad, and didn't have a problem with any of it. I sold a used purse for my mom, she sold it for more than if she had tried to sell in a garage sale thats for sure. My dad sold a baseball glove that he found at an old lady's garage sale that she said had someones signature. Well turned out after looking at it closer it was Nolan ryan's signature! My dad sold it on ebay for $40 and made a good profit off of it since he only paid 50 cents for it. I sold a used edelbrock intake and chrome valve covers on ebay for 50 bucks. If I had taken that to a swap meet, Id be lucky to make 25.
Ive heard about people haveing some problems, the only ones Ive had was with sellers. I had one person never send me the receipt for a item I bought a year ago. Well after several emails to the seller, I got my receipt along with about 50 others. The seller sent my address and info along with several other peoples to other people that they shouldn't have to prevent identity theft. After almost 2 months I got the item, and gave the seller bad feedback.

Brad
Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I have done fairly well selling on ebay, I sold things I couldn't give away locally unfortunately I bought a LOT more than I sold . A friend generates half his annual income selling on ebay but you need to be very knowledgable about what you are selling if you plan to use it as a source of income. Go for it.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:21 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

it's great. you can even set up a usps or ups or fed ex account to pick up your items. you don't even have to leave the house. except for packing supplies. I guess you could probably get those off ebay too.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:06 AM

Last photo:

my friend got laid off from his tool n' die job - he is currently on unemployment - but his wife makes extra spending money on Ebay.

She hits up the local Resale stores and buys vintage clothes, games, etc and resells them on Ebay.

She isn't making a fortune by any shot, but is making more money than she did working as a waitress.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:10 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

eBay, Fed-Ex, USPS & UPS are the big winners....but you too can make some $$$ or save some $$.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 AM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

if you can use it, you can make living

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.