E-Fan Controllers- Which brands? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I know Victoria's secret....

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

E-Fan Controllers- Which brands?

I'm going to be installing some LS1 fans in my 86Z28.

I'd like it to be automatic, I just want to plug all in, and not have to worry about constantly adjusting the temp the fans kick on, or flipping a switch, etc, but I don't want to purchase a kit that will crap out on me after 3 months and cook an engine, either.

I'd like to install the same setup in my Colorado as well (DD), to gain some mleage too.

I've seen adjustable kits from flexalite, derale, hayden, etc, but haven't heard anything good or bad about any of them. From what I can tell, I could spend $30 on a Hayden kit from Advance Auto that does the same thing as a $75 Flexalite kit from eBay.

Recommendations? THANKS in advance!

Hawk

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 PM

Last journal entry: 1954 Chevy Truck Project
Last photo:

I am using a Derale adjustable controller on a two speed single fan set up. The Summit part number is DER-16749.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkZ28

I'd like it to be automatic, I just want to plug all in, and not have to worry about constantly adjusting the temp the fans kick on, or flipping a switch, etc, but I don't want to purchase a kit that will crap out on me after 3 months and cook an engine, either.

I'd like to install the same setup in my Colorado as well (DD), to gain some mleage too.

I've seen adjustable kits from flexalite, derale, hayden, etc, but haven't heard anything good or bad about any of them. From what I can tell, I could spend $30 on a Hayden kit from Advance Auto that does the same thing as a $75 Flexalite kit from eBay.

Hawk
What is the attraction (by a lot of folks) with the expensive electronic fan controllers? Just because you CAN do something with an electronic circuit doesn't mean you need to. I've had great success the the mechanical fan controllers that use a temp bulb that goes in the upper radiator hose.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Flex-a-lite/751522/10002/-1

You simply turn the screw to adjust the activation temperature. Once it's adjusted, forget it. You can also wire in a backup toggle switch if you feel you need it. This particular unit sells for $30, but I've seen them under $20.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:31 PM
I know Victoria's secret....

Last photo:

That looks awfully similar to the one at Advance- it has the radiator probe. I've seen a couple other varieties that have a sending unit that screws into the head.

That's one of the ones I've been looking at. How long have you been running that one? How many miles/years, etc? Any problems whatsoever?

I really don't need, nor want, to spend a whole lot of $$ on it, but knowing that you get what you pay for a lot of times, I want to get something that I can set and forget about, and that will last. Do it once, and do it right.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
That looks awfully similar to the one at Advance- it has the radiator probe. I've seen a couple other varieties that have a sending unit that screws into the head.

That's one of the ones I've been looking at. How long have you been running that one? How many miles/years, etc? Any problems whatsoever?

I really don't need, nor want, to spend a whole lot of $$ on it, but knowing that you get what you pay for a lot of times, I want to get something that I can set and forget about, and that will last. Do it once, and do it right.
I ran one in a daily driver for a couple of years with no problems. The probe actually slips between the radiator hose and the bung on the radiator. The little black plastic piece in the picture seals the gap and the hose clamp holds it together. Once I got the activation temp dialed in, it worked great.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Hawk
I'd recommend being careful with that $30 adjustable Hayden unit, I had one with the probe that goes in the radiator fins and used a 40/50 amp Bosch relay with it on my DD, my Mark VIII e-fan fried it after about a month this summer
YMMV but IMO overkill on the fan relay is a good idea, right now I'm using a 250 amp golf cart relay on a manual switch with no further problems, I'm planning on wiring in an OEM temp switch when cash flow improves.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gezn2
I'd recommend being careful with that $30 adjustable Hayden unit, I had one with the probe that goes in the radiator fins and used a 40/50 amp Bosch relay with it on my DD, my Mark VIII e-fan fried it after about a month this summer
YMMV but IMO overkill on the fan relay is a good idea, right now I'm using a 250 amp golf cart relay on a manual switch with no further problems, I'm planning on wiring in an OEM temp switch when cash flow improves.
The Flex-a-lite unit I showed above doesn't use a relay. The capilary tube (which goes in the radiator hose, not the fins) operates a fully mechanical contact that turns the fan off and on. If the contacts are designed to carry enough current, there's no need for a relay.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.