E-Z wiring harness question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

E-Z wiring harness question

Okay guys, I'm installing and E-Z wiring harness in my old 38 DeSoto and I see nowhere in the instructions where to bring in a feed (hotwire) from the battery to the fuse panel. Anyone of you guys have one of these harness's? What did you do for the feed? Also I'm going put the battery in the trunk because of lack of space in the engine compartment. Do I need to run any kind of special wire? Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2005, 05:22 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 special
Okay guys, I'm installing and E-Z wiring harness in my old 38 DeSoto and I see nowhere in the instructions where to bring in a feed (hotwire) from the battery to the fuse panel. Anyone of you guys have one of these harness's? What did you do for the feed? Also I'm going put the battery in the trunk because of lack of space in the engine compartment. Do I need to run any kind of special wire?

I have not installed an EZ so I cant contribute. Obviously you need a freed. Is there any online schematics/instructions so an extra set of eye(s) can look at it?

As far as special cable to the trunk?? YES. DC, is sensitive to distance so use extra large gauge wire. I always run 1/0 cable available from your welding supplier. Welding cable is very flexible and not nearly as stiff as typical wires for wiring like the THHN/THWN.

Rich
Old 08-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Last photo:

Are you talking about the battey feed wires or the feed to the fuse panel. 1/0 is Waaaay too big for the fuse panel . I would use a minimum #4 or #6 AWG stranded wire from the battery to the fuse panel. I would also protect that wire with a MaxiFuse in the trunk. If your battery is going in the trunk you might as well go the whole nine yards and install a Ford starter solenoid in the trunk. That way the heavy positive battery cable from the battery to the starter will only be hot when cranking.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
Are you talking about the battey feed wires or the feed to the fuse panel. 1/0 is Waaaay too big for the fuse panel .
Hahahaha. I like using knife throw ignition switches too

Rich
Old 08-24-2005, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

There will be a wire coming from your fuse box marked battey power 10 GA! Connect that wire to the hot battey terminal on the STARTER, with the right sized lug. You should place a maxie fuse on that wire also, just before you wire it up to the starter hot post. Install it in a place where you can get to it just in case.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:27 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Thanks fellas. I am planning on running a Ford solenoid. I'll check the fuse panel again for the power wire. Maybe I'm just missing it some where. Maxi fuse? I'm not familiar with that. Need more input, please.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Most wireing kits feed the fuse panel from the starter solinoid.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:25 PM

there is a thick red wire labelled solenoid power that feeds your fusebox. It goes to the starter, same lug as the main power wire, or in your case to the solenoid in the trunk. The maxi fuse is a high amperage fuse that will protect your entire electrical circuit. Put it as close to the solenoid as you can. They are available from Waytek, though they have min quantities. Check your local higher end stereo shops or electrical supply place, they should be able to hook you up. Many auto supply supply places will just give you a blank look.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:04 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

OKay, I've enlisted some help from a freind. Got the power feed thing going good. Now what aperage is a maxi fuse? Can I just use and inline fuse? Thanks, guys this is great help to me.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

Instead of a maxi-fuse, I would put a fusible link there ... much more reliable!
Read This

Also, if I was putting the battery in the trunk, I'd run some terminal blocks --
Read This ... << these notes aren't that exact plan, but you'll get the idea. Also, read the other links I have at the bottom of those pages -- lots of very cool electrical info.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
Old 08-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

re: EZ Harnass/battery location

I'm wiring my 36 right now, using Painless this time. They have gone away from fusable links, recommend fuses. Stereo shops sell many different types of large fuses, some amazingly expensive. I wanted to suggest that you consider putting the battery in the back of the passenger side fenderwell. My 36 has plenty of room, it worked out really nice- only a short distance from the starter.. To make it even more compact, I'm using a 925 amp Oddessy battery- it's really small, half the weight of an Optima and can be mounted in any position. Bill
Old 08-26-2005, 02:42 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

On my coupe I have the battery mounted in the trunk. My fuse panel feeds off of the starter solinoid. I left the solinoid at the starter so the wire run to feed the panel would not be so long. Long runs of wire carrying that much current are bad situations. You need that wire to be as short as possible. With the solinoid under the hood and the fuse panel inside on the back of the firewall the wire only needs to be about 3 ft. I used a fusible link that came with my wireing kit.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last photo:

Hey Hovath, haven't seen you on here for awhile.
Thanks for the info guys. Your all a great help. Lots of ggod info for me to consider and check out. I will put the Ford solenoid on the firewall over the strarter and I have the fuse panel already located inside the firewall in the middle of it at teh bottom so I can get to it easily without having to do contortions and stand on my head like some of todays cars.
Not familiar with an Odyssey battery hotroddr but will check it out. Don't know if I want the battery inside in case it explodes for any reason/ I use to work with a guy who had a battery explode in his face. Man, his face isn't much to look at anymore, poor fella.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

EZ wire/battery location

Hi 38, I may have used the wrong terminology- I put the battery in the back portion of the fenderwell, about a foot from the starter. Mounted the battery box to the frame. I agree with you about putting the battery inside. Bill
Old 08-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Last photo:

[QUOTE=Henry Highrise]On my coupe I have the battery mounted in the trunk. My fuse panel feeds off of the starter solinoid. I left the solinoid at the starter so the wire run to feed the panel would not be so long. Long runs of wire carrying that much current are bad situations. QUOTE]

Not really, that is why you size the wire for the load and the length of the run. Now if you left the puny 14 AWG wire that probably came with the wiring kit and ran it from the trunk that would be a bad situation. Replace that wire with a #6 or #8 and you will have absolutly zero problems with voltage drop.

Vince
The Following User Says Thank You to 302 Z28 For This Useful Post:
T Evans (02-28-2014)

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.