E85 105octane pump gas Race Fuel - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

E85 105octane pump gas Race Fuel

Tips for converting to E85 fuel:

Do I or Don't I upgrade: A few things to think about environment, driving habits, engine and fuel system.

Environment: Oil will not last and we can be ready now and slow the oil consumption and clean the air. The fun part is we can do this with lots of power and fun. E85 is made from corn but there is many plants like switchgrass that will provide a better source for more E85 fuel.

Driving Habits: If you drive your show/race car just once our twice a year you may want to stay with gas because E85 works like a sponge grabbing all the water it can from the air. So driving some on a weekly basis would be good. If you use E85 keep it moving don't store it! If you need to park your car for long terms you should fill your tank with gas and stabill. This will provide you with some protection from rust and fuel system problems.

Engine: E85 likes high compression to make big power but it works fine on low compression engines to. You do need harden valve seats and to change the oil more often. E85 will bring more water into your oil, but with proper maintenance this should not cause problems. We have seen some cylinder wear and scuffing but only 2 or 3% more then a gas motor.

Fuel System: Your current system might be just fine. Your fuel tank should be clean without rust and the vibration rubber sections in your fuel line should be replaced with new fuel hose. Your pump needs to pump about 30% more fuel and work with E85. We are using Holley mechanical and electric pumps without problems. Good fuel filter is always a must and braided fuel line is good for looks and safety.

Rob Mix
www.no-advertising-on-here.com

Last edited by Jmark; 09-05-2007 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Is this a advertisement? Sounds like a sales pitch. You didn`t tell us anything we couldn`t do a search on and find out. Not only that it`s still not avalible everywhere, it`s not avalible in my town at all. How about all the vehicles that will have to be converted over to run it and the man on the lower wage scale that works hard and has a family doesn`t make enough money to convert his vehicle and he`s the one that needs it the most but he`s stuck paying for regular gas and when the price shoots back up for no good reason he can barely have enough to get to work much less go anywhere else. Yet you`ll see some of the more wealthy people who have these monster size gas guzzling SUV`s and they have 1 child, why did they need it? they do it to keep up with the jones and because they have no sense of indivuality. When the husband is at work, the child is in school, the wife alone is driving that huge locomotive around and paying out of the ying yang for gas to feed the tank, had not a care what it cost and doesn`t do anything to save many a bucks on fuel because they got to have that locomotive. You see a shiny new huge locomotive pull up in the parking lot and it`s so huge it barely fits in the lot and blocks the view so when you back out your on pins and needles that somebody is going to nail you because this huge tank is parked beside you. The funniest thing of all is you see this huge giant locomotive park next to you and expect to see about 20 illegals pour out of it, but you don`t, you see a female dressed to the nines and is about 5`2, nobody else is in there with her. So now that I`ve had my rant due to your senseless posts, I`ll rest easier before my surgery tomorrow. Thanks for the highly needed information.
When E85 can solve the rest of the issues then maybe it`ll get better all around. Maybe you should start doing posts on how we can make our own moonshine, opps! did I say moonshine? I mean E85 to run in our cars and not get busted for it. And lastly, Running E85 is not going to clean the air overnight, it will take a heck of a long time before we see any improvement at all, when you got loggers whacking a forest down in a few days we got to replant them trees to make up for it and it`ll take 20 years for that tree to be even close to the ones it took minutes to whack down. Were fighting the battle and were are not winning because it can`t be won like that. They tell us and urge us to plant trees but we clear off land in days time for subdivisions to come in and all those trees can`t be regrown there because it`s piled up with houses. You have a nice day.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hey DV, you out of prozac too! ROFLMAO!!!

This pretty much says it all! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E85

My take:

E85 from CORN is a loose loose deal. It takes more petroleum products to make one gallon of corn E85. Duh!!! (for every gallon of petroleum used in the production of E85, only .87 gallons of E85 is produced.) Yea Baby!! We're on our way to Middle East freedom now!

Since a lot of the growers are getting sucked into the corn based E85, the price of EVERYTHING that either has corn in it or is fed from corn, has gone up in price. (milk, cheese, ice cream, corn oil, cattle feed, chicken feed, some medications and a host of other products.)

"Yea,,,but but but,,,it's enviromentally friendly and has great benefits." Yea, right! Look at both sides before sharing your wonderful wisdom with us!

Do the math DA before you come back here spouting your crap and pushing your business!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

This thread belongs in the dump.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yea, it may end up there soon. but the E85 BS needs to be addressed. It just ain't a good thing all around.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:05 PM

Small Mind

Well I am interested in just how we are to go forward with so many people thinking the cost for food is more important than what our kids may have tomaro. Balance is needed. It is interesting that with gas going up 100% in the last year or so why you think food should not? It is not just the fact that farmers are selling corn for a profit now they have a product in demand. With that how many family's will continue to farm. I think the total picture needs to be considered here. Here is my take if we help the development of Fuels like E85 that can be made from switch grass 400% less cost. The production of E85 can be done with wind power and is so get off the oil use. Now is the time for some investment in the future. By using the E85 or other replaceable fuels today will speed the technical growth and reduce cost of the fuel.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:18 PM

Yea, harvesting the worlds crops to power Americas vehicles while millions die from starvation! GO E85 GO!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I think it`s time we refilled our Prozac J, and put on the hip waders,, it`s gettin deep! And here I am right after surgury and can`t get around good either! Gonna have to find me some wings.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Last photo:

Ive tried to read up on E85 and there is alot of contradiction out there for example one of the above posts stated it takes more petroleum to produce it than it makes wheras this statment is from the gov of colorados web site

How much energy is needed to produce E85?
The fossil energy input per unit of ethanol is lower than the fossil energy needed to produce an equal unit of gasoline. Fossil energy needed to produce ethanol is 0.78 million British thermal units (Btu) per 1 million Btu of ethanol delivered. Fossil energy needed to produce gasoline is 1.23 million Btu per 1 million Btu of gasoline delivered.

So what do we believe? The other thing that I find odd is people complain about the food prices going up I know in western Pa the milk prices have gone up we dont have an e85 pump for about 100 miles and the farmers around here grow their own feed and the milk plant is 15 minutes away the main increase they see is fuel.

Personnally I think what we are being fed is alot of bs from both sides of the isle. What really doesnt make alot of sense to me is the flex fuel cars just are not economical as their gas counterparts look at the epa flex fuel ratings it cost more per year to run e85 so I ask why are so many ethanol plants being built?

I do think though from a performace stand point it has advantages if the engine has been built for it that is....
Old 11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Viva la Migra!!

Last photo:

I was also on the floor laughing my asov....I started reading this post , with a big ????????? going on in my mind , when I read the only thing that has made me smile all day .
laugh out loud , even.
I would like to add 1 small point.........
Henry Ford figured out that the purest form of methane gas on the planet is in the seed of the hemp plant . Unless my hippie-like older brothers were BS'n me , he made an entire car out of 'hemp'. and it ran on hemp fuel , as well.
any thoughts on weedgas? what to we call it?W420? JK

Moonshine or 'alcohol' can be derived from sugar cane , rice , corn , etc.
I think we are painting ourselves into a corner by only looking at 'corn fuel' .
We certainly have to have more 'renewable' options than just E85 .
now ifn you'll scuse me , I gotta keep an eye out for the long black limos to start pullin up to the house......

edit :
a big thank you to Jmark and DV for makin my day !
Old 11-13-2007, 08:24 PM

Last photo:

I am a farmer. Id like to offer my observation on the E85 scenario from a farmers standpoint.

E85 does not help the farmer. In fact, in the long run, E85 will likely hurt the small and average size farming operations. Yes, E85 drove up the price of corn drastically. The value of one bushel of corn nearly doubled in one year. This helped the farmer for ONE YEAR ONLY. Please let me explain.

The majority of tillable acres in Illinois are farmed by way of 'cash rent.' The farmer pays the land owner a fixed price in the spring and in the fall the farmer recieves all the income from grain sales. The farmer buys all the fertilizer, seed, chemical, etc in a cash rent scenario. Many farms made a nice profit this year with corn at $4.00 and cash rent prices at, or around, $160 per acre.

Many land owners have learned that farmers can now afford to pay much higher cash rent prices. Some farmers are now paying $340 per acre cash rent! Add that $340 per acre to the cost of growing one acre of corn. This will vary depending on the size of the farming operation, but lets use $285 as an example. That brings the farmers cost of growing ONE ACRE of corn to $625. In order for the farmer to BREAK EVEN, he must grow an average of 156 bushels of corn per acre with $4.00 corn. 156 bushels could be considered an average year, but remember this is the break even number.

However, if the price of corn returns to the level it was before all the ethanol excitement (lets say $2.25), the farmer must average 277 bushels an acre to break even. 200 bushels per acre is a very good year, 277 is not possible.

Market prices are very flexible. Cash rent prices are not. If the price of corn drops suddenly, cash rent prices will take several years to return to a normal level. This is a recipe for disaster and many good farmers will be forced to close up shop and find a new line of work.

E85 will not be around forever UNLESS it can be produced more cost effictively. The government subsidises ethanol plants $0.50 for every gallon of ethanol produced. Without these subsidies, plants will close, the demand for corn will be reduced, and prices will follow suit.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks Johny for an excellent post. Learned a lot.

Mark
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

I dont want to offend you because I do have alot of respect for you guys and I understand the situation you spelled out but I keep coming back to the fact that you are complaining that the price of your product the corn has nearly doubled. Why would you pay so much rent just for a break even scenario that also sounds like that could be a big problem.
The farmers who own their own land must be finally doing better though. Although with the #2 fuel oil going up 40% it isnt going to help that out at all(I think that is the same as diesel). Also regarding the subsidies we seem to subsidise everything else anyhow at least this could benefit some of the farmers I think technology will come about to make it cheaper but the fuel itself has alot of hurdles to overcome to be used all over the country.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Last photo:

A lot of our short comings are because we haven't built any new refinories or nuclear power plants since the mid '70's. Not only do we buy foreign oil we pay them to refine it for us. This is an out rage.

Even if E85 does get as popular as their planning (there's a new plant going up as we speak not far from me). It's only a matter of time before the man gets his crooked fingers on it and screws us all at the pump again.

Bush wants to open the Arctic wildlife reserve in Alaska? Woder why is it because we the consumer COULD save 2% at the pump or because he's in the oil industry? Hmm

As far as the clear air argument America's not going to put a dent in it until all the third world and developing countries follow suit. ie China, India.... Human and animal waste is the largest source of all pollution so maybe we should stop breeding.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79C10

I was also on the floor laughing my asov....I started reading this post , with a big ????????? going on in my mind , when I read the only thing that has made me smile all day .
laugh out loud , even.
I would like to add 1 small point.........
Henry Ford figured out that the purest form of methane gas on the planet is in the seed of the hemp plant . Unless my hippie-like older brothers were BS'n me , he made an entire car out of 'hemp'. and it ran on hemp fuel , as well.
any thoughts on weedgas? what to we call it?W420? JK

Moonshine or 'alcohol' can be derived from sugar cane , rice , corn , etc.
I think we are painting ourselves into a corner by only looking at 'corn fuel' .
We certainly have to have more 'renewable' options than just E85 .
now ifn you'll scuse me , I gotta keep an eye out for the long black limos to start pullin up to the house......

edit :
a big thank you to Jmark and DV for makin my day !
Sounds like too many old Cheech and Chong movies.

Bogie

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.