E85 Blower Motor? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2012, 08:54 PM

Last journal entry: Finally some floor!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

E85 Blower Motor?

I've already witnessed expert advice, etc. from you guys with the blower motors, so here goes. I have already started gathering parts, opinions, and knowledge as I am planning an engine swap next year from carbureted SBC to blown BBC. This car is and will continue to be street driven only (no hard core racing. I am going thru the car this spring in preparation for the changeover next year, (2800lb), 9" Ford Posi w/3.70's, 700R4 built to take 700hp+, fuel system set for blower fuel needs, etc. My question is: is it feasible to run a street blown car on E85 and if so, what are the major differences so that I can make some informed decisions before I get too far along. I have a 671 and some parts for the build already: a 4-bolt 468cu block, forged rods, crank, blower pistons, Edelbrock aluminum heads, MSD6 w/Boost Retard, compression ratio will be just a shade under 8:1, double cut crank, and I spoke with the guys at Don Hampton Blowers who referred me to Engle cams. They recommended their HL74-25 Hyd. I plan on putting on some cruising miles, just wondering about the E85 @ .45/gallon difference or should I just stick with reg pump gas? Any help is welcome. Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 10:45 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

The biggest problem with E-85 is just getting it. When you are out cruising as we do every week on the back roads most stations do not have it. Here even in the heart of bio fuels states it is usually only available at Holiday stations and select others. Since you have to run a richer mixture you need a massive tank just to get from station to station. Remember the old saying "I can pass anything but the gas stations" haha

You already have low compression so it will allow much higher boost. Octane rating varies but it is generally accepted to be above 100.

The other thing since you stated "....just street driving..." is just how much power do you think you can use??? I go for weeks and many miles without ever even getting into the secondaries. It amounts to "showing off." haha
Last week I was doing some carb testing and adjusting and decided to try a short 0-60 run. Just fortunately my "cops eye" spotted the trooper about a half a block down the road tucked up in a driveway. I simply cruised on by and waved at him. It would have been disastrous to do a "test here". happens all the time. You have to make multiple passes up and down your test track for safety. Cruising on the road we cruise at 50 - 60 most of the time except going home on the freeways at 70-75....speed limit. You simply can't easily jump on a high powered car for any length of time. You really have to make the car what you are willing to live with and what is acceptable to drive on the street. Face it...no one likes to be late for work because some idiot in a streetrod has become disabled on the highway and is tying up traffic. The same going home....most people have had it for the day and want to get home for dinner, not stuck in a traffic jamb by a streetrodder boiled over on the highway again tying up traffic.

Reliability is more of the issue than maximum power. The more power you have the more you have to make it very reliable. You can't be having flat tires or tires that are unsafe in the rain (Yes I run big Hoosiers but they are excellent in the rain), you can't overheat when stuck in traffic and it is 100 deg outside, no start at the gas station, or any of a hundred other show stoppers. For the most part your ride must operate like any other car on the road. You are in their territory. haha run what you brung but it better run.

BTW my blower drive came from Hampton. Great guy and nice stuff.....bullet proof too.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

I have a customer that runs a 500+ inch BBC with 8-71 and two monster carbs. "Street" car, you can hear/feel it coming three blocks away, also runs in the high eights at the strip. He runs E-85 exclusively. His biggest problem with it is the quality of the fuel. As it varies greatly by weather season and quantity that the station pumps/sells.

I am presently building a "gasser" nostalgia car for myself. It has a 500 inch BBC "old skool" with compression. It will also be E-85 only. Lots of E-85 retailers here. Cheap race fuel! Just carry a fuel quality test kit with you.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

E85 Out?

Thanks for the reply bentwings. I thought maybe you would be the first one. I try to read any posts you do for my "blower" education. From what I can tell, you do a lot of what we want to do with this car. Cruise all season to anything to do with hotrods, (or just cruise). Just want the major "WOW" factor of the blower with a bit of performance, reliability, and around 20 mpg. I know from reading from others that the 20mpg is mostly according to how it is driven. I just want to be able to decide for myself at any given time, whether it's "easy on the billfold, or hits me in the seat of the pants". LOL Kinda that, "Walk softly and carry a big stick" sort of thing! I only plan on running 4-6psi boost for the most part. About the only parts I am undecided on are the carbs. Thinking of Holley 750's and I know that they need to be blower carbs and boost referenced, just don't think i will be able to do them myself so will probably buy them set up. Any suggestions on where to go? Thanks again for the reply. Bob
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

I plan on running my blown 354 with E-85. But, since the feds stopped the marketing $$$ handed out to the retailers for keeping it at the pump, my local retailer went bust and the new station operators don't carry it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../mojoshemi.jpg

The truck will have a 26 gallon tank BTW....
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo56
I plan on running my blown 354 with E-85. But, since the feds stopped the marketing $$$ handed out to the retailers for keeping it at the pump, my local retailer went bust and the new station operators don't carry it.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3.../mojoshemi.jpg

The truck will have a 26 gallon tank BTW....
Mojo56, I have several places around me that carry E85. (regular stations & the co-op's), so local cruising shouldn't be a problem. Only unknown will be going to far-away shows, etc. I plan on driving this thing ALL over. Maybe the mileage drop from reg pump gas to what it burns extra in E85 will make the cost difference pretty much a moot point. In that case, there goes the advantage to E85????
Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Hot Rod Has Been

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetKruzer
Mojo56, I have several places around me that carry E85. (regular stations & the co-op's), so local cruising shouldn't be a problem. Only unknown will be going to far-away shows, etc. I plan on driving this thing ALL over. Maybe the mileage drop from reg pump gas to what it burns extra in E85 will make the cost difference pretty much a moot point. In that case, there goes the advantage to E85????
I think the much touted lower fuel economy is somewhat of a fairt tale.

Maybe if you have an E-85 calibrated computer controlled car since the O2 sensor can sniff the fuel and knows what you are running. Then it allows a richer fuel curve... I can see that.

But what about our non-compuetrerized hot rods? How does the engine use MORE fuel than the carb is adjusted for? The short answer is it won't. Now i agree you may have to re-jet for a better running engine on E-85 but I doubt the -20% figure usually batted about. I'm sure if you dyno tune the engine to make maximum HP you will have to use more fuel... maybe.

I have run several of my late model dailys on E-85... '95 F150, '97 Ram 1500, '98 Chevy Cadaver and such with no ill effects. I usually use E-85 when I'm on a longer road trip. It WILL kick on the check engine light... but no ill effects that I have seen. If i don't want to look at the check engine light I mix it 50/50...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Ask me about Ethanol

Last journal entry: 65 GTO
Last photo:

Easy way to find E85 pumps. Just type in your location and they will show up. You can also get an App for GPS devices that tell you where the stations are from the same website. http://e85prices.com/e85map.php

Indiana kinda sucks, as does Nevada, but its widely available in lots of states.

It doesnt take that much more to run an engine, high compression engines can get better mileage on E85 than they can on gas. About 12:1-13:1 is the break even point. With a blower you will tend to run it rich to cool things and make sure a cylinder doesnt go lean. Still you dont need nearly as much fuel as you do with methanol. You will make lots more power on ethanol than you will on gas too, especially with a blower.

Get a wideband O2 and tune it, dont just get it to where it runs well. The tuning with ethanol is pretty wide, so you can be stupid rich or a bit lean and still make crazy power and never know you are using too much fuel. It is very forgiving to tune, as long as you dont go very lean under boost, that is bad with any fuel.

Soon everything I own will be running E85 or 100% hydrous ethanol, its easy enough to produce it and I only need about 500 gallons a year to run everything on it. Right now two cars are running high blends, but the 70 GTO has a 13:1 455 in it with a mild cam, 3.42 gears, and a 700R4 trans. I modify Qjets to run ethanol, they work very well with it and you can get good mileage with them pretty easy.

Welcome to the club.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:

E85

Thanks, Thumpin. Looks like I'm reading up more on the possibilities before deciding. Good info!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.