Is an Eagle an AMC or Dodge? Wifes new DD - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2006, 02:28 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is an Eagle an AMC or Dodge? Wifes new DD

I was looking for a DD for the wife. I narrowed my search to just pampered low mile vehicles. I ended up with a loaded 94 Eagle Vision. I'm really a Ford/Chev guy and know nothing of the orgin of Eagle. This thing is the TSI and has traction control and a 3.8. Where does Eagle fit in with AMC/Dodge? I believe this model is like a Dodge Intrepid. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_0418.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	11628  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Eagle is a Dodge product
Old 04-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
However, back in the late seventies/early eighties when AMC still existed, they had an Eagle model. So the "Eagle" is BOTH as a name plate. But in 94 it would be a Dodge.

1982ish

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 04-16-2006 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
However, back in the late seventies/early eighties when AMC still existed, they had an Eagle model. So the "Eagle" is BOTH as a name plate. But in 94 it would be a Dodge.

1982ish

Brian
that's what I meant. Eagle as a brand is a dodge product, Eagle as a model is a AMC.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Where does "Jeep" fit in to all this? What was the last year for Eagle? Need a time line.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

AMC was put out to pasture after 1987, Jeep basicly took over the current jeep Wrangler and the wagoneer/ Cheroke SUV's. I don't know all the details but AMC was part of Chrysler since the late 70's, and Jeep came out as a partnership kind of with AMC and Chrysler, and transformed the CJ into the Wrangler, and the Cherokee/ Wagoneer was also made/ transformed into a Jeep product.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

AMC was a company on its own before 1987. They did have an amalgamation with Renault.........In 87, Chrysler bought out AMC, mainly to get the Jeep line.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Do some research on the Eagle if you think you might buy it. I know Dodge had alot of problems with the early Intrepids (93-94) I do not know if it carried over into the Eagle's.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:21 PM

Exactly.But Eagle was not a Dodge product.It was a division of Chrysler.Lee Iaccoca thought it was a good idea to get the 4x4 technology all at once from AMC.Since AMC had been building cars with Renault,Chrysler used that FWD chassis to build their economy compact and mid size cars.Even the successful mini vans used AMC/Renault help.The Jeep division got a big boost from Chrysler and the last real american Chrysler president,Bob Eaton,mentioned that Daimler was in love with that division and tried to buy it
separately! To make the story more complex,do not forget that not too long ago they had Lamborghini,and an air/space division.And Shelby.By the way,the picture shows that a "crossover" was actually AMC's idea!And those were all 4x4!Oh!Chrysler also has a joint venture with BMW to build engines.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo 1
Exactly.But Eagle was not a Dodge product.It was a division of Chrysler.Lee Iaccoca thought it was a good idea to get the 4x4 technology all at once from AMC.Since AMC had been building cars with Renault,Chrysler used that FWD chassis to build their economy compact and mid size cars.Even the successful mini vans used AMC/Renault help.The Jeep division got a big boost from Chrysler and the last real american Chrysler president,Bob Eaton,mentioned that Daimler was in love with that division and tried to buy it
separately! To make the story more complex,do not forget that not too long ago they had Lamborghini,and an air/space division.And Shelby.By the way,the picture shows that a "crossover" was actually AMC's idea!And those were all 4x4!Oh!Chrysler also has a joint venture with BMW to build engines.
I originaly said it was a 3.8 when infact it's a 3.5. I think that all Intrepids of that year are 3.2. I'm assuming the engine is a Chrysler product, right? This vehicle also has 4 wheel disc brakes, traction control and a CD player, pretty advanced for 1994. Very interesting/confusing history. I was told that it was an Intrepid except for the engine and some of the sheetmetal. Bottom line, I paid $2,800 for it and it has 50K on the clock. Wife likes it. Also, very little info on line for this vehicle.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The base engine for the Intrepids were a 3.2, the 3.5 was optional. I came within a inch of buying one when they were intoduced in 93.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

Hybrid, and I don't mean electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo 1
AMC was buying a lot of parts from GM and Ford before the merger with Chrysler. After the merger, Chrysler very gradually migrated away from the carryover AMC stuff to their own designs, but most Eagles will still have a lot of AMC heritage in them.

When working on it or looking for parts, don't be surprised to find english and metric mixed, or to find no part listed in a computer data base -- but the part is available, it is probably a common part from another big 3 product, you just have to figure out a match.

Not a bad vehicle by the way, good luck.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.