Is Eagle Products Over-Rated?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Cassville,MO
Posts: 812
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 21
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
Eagles are freaking awesome, Want to buy a set. This endorsement is worth exactly what you paid for it.

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresi View Post
Eagles are freaking awesome, Want to buy a set. This endorsement is worth exactly what you paid for it.
And this tells me alot. I'm going with the Olivers anyways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 869
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=405844


And their C/S is crap.
GM Performance :: View topic - (eagle 383 rotating assy) crankshaft broke>final update

I will be avoiding Eagle.

I would rather run a stock cast crank than any Eagle crank.

peace
Hog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 705
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 75 Times in 75 Posts
We use Eagle. Good stuff from my POV. We had issues balancing Scat SBC cranks, and it "spilled over" to their Pontiac casting. Had trouble with pins "walking" in Scat "press-fit" H-beams. None with Eagle in similar builds.

The late-to-the-party Pontiac forgings from Eagle are excellent. We've used several, and they're as nice or nicer than Eagle's BBC stuff. Local racer Bill King (track champ, '09, '11 and "runner up" '08,'12 at VMP "Sportsman" class) has an Eagle forging in his 406 SBC. 300-plus passes so far (mid-low 10s, 2,950 lbs) and no sign of issues. His racing "partner" Gerald Driver, jr. also has an Eagle in HIS 406 SBC (we built them both...). He's not won the championship yet, but has been in the top 3 each of the last three years. Short blocks haven't been touched.

I can't tell you how many boats are "out there" with Eagle 383 "kits" in them.

Sprint car? Gasoline? Carillo, Crower or Oliver. Alcohol or nitro? BME or R&R... Summit isn't exactly the best place to shop for a real race car.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 278 Times in 260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
you link 2 if not three (2 threads on vid) of cast cranks.
that's not really fair, you buy junk you get breakage, both threads was cast cranks. not forgings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Richiehd's Avatar
JS-70
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jupiter FL
Posts: 834
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 147
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:


And their C/S is crap.
GM Performance :: View topic - (eagle 383 rotating assy) crankshaft broke>final update

I will be avoiding Eagle.

I would rather run a stock cast crank than any Eagle crank.

peace
Hog
There is always two sides to every story, 9 pages of blog, interesting reading. Not so much their poor customer Service as there were some issues with some of their 383 cranks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 869
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
you link 2 if not three (2 threads on vid) of cast cranks.
that's not really fair, you buy junk you get breakage, both threads was cast cranks. not forgings
Not really fair? Sure thats your opinion I guess.

There are only 3 SBC engines that use forged cranks in the last 30 years.
1) 662hp/LS9(forged steel crank/forged pistons/forged titanium rods),
2)556hp Cadillac 6.2L LSA(forged steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged PM rods,,
3)505 hp 7.0L LS7 forged 4140 steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged steel titanium rods.

Using your logic, all aftermarket manufacturers that produce a cast crank will experience breakage, simply because it is made of metal that is cast in a casting, vs. being forged into shape?

I could have posted pages of issues with Eagle cranks.

Look at the 4340 forged unit, it was out 1-2 thou. from center to edge of the main bearing surface. Thats horrible, but typical of many products manufactured these days.

peace
Hog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,143
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 424
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Im not doubting the validity of your information, and not typically a grammar-nazi; but, are they steel or titanium?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Not really fair? Sure thats your opinion I guess.

There are only 3 SBC engines that use forged cranks in the last 30 years.
1) 662hp/LS9(forged steel crank/forged pistons/forged titanium rods),
2)556hp Cadillac 6.2L LSA(forged steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged PM rods,,
3)505 hp 7.0L LS7 forged 4140 steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged steel titanium rods.

Using your logic, all aftermarket manufacturers that produce a cast crank will experience breakage, simply because it is made of metal that is cast in a casting, vs. being forged into shape?

I could have posted pages of issues with Eagle cranks.

Look at the 4340 forged unit, it was out 1-2 thou. from center to edge of the main bearing surface. Thats horrible, but typical of many products manufactured these days.

peace
Hog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AutoGear For This Useful Post:
Hogg (06-21-2013)
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 869
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Im not doubting the validity of your information, and not typically a grammar-nazi; but, are they steel or titanium?
No thats good that you corrected that, they are forged titanium connecting rods, not forged steel rods.

Thanks again, and I will go back and correct that, if the 30 minute timer hasnt run out yet.

Well it did run out.
1)The 2006-2013+ LS7 did get forged titanium rods, forged 4140 steel crank and cast hypereutectic aluminum pistons.

2)Caddi LSA got forged Powdered Metal rods, forged steel crankshaft and cast hypereutectic aluminum pistons with oil sprayers on the underside of the pistons

3) ZR-1 LS9 used forged titanium rods, forged steel crankshaft and forged aluminum pistons with oil sprayers aimed on the underside of the pistons

As an aside, hypereutectic aluminum is simply an aluminum alloy which is higher in the element silicon than the solubility of silicon in aluminum at operating temperature. The solubility point of silicon in aluminum at operating temperature is around 12%. Hyper aluminum pistons usually have between 16% and 19% silicon, at percentages above 25% there is a big drop in strength. Hyper aluminum pistons are stronger than cast aluminum pistons, but not as strong as a forged aluminum piston, although hyper pistons are much less expensive and have much better thermal expansion properties than forged aluminum pistons. Forged pistons must be set up looser in teh bore than hyper or cast pistons as the forged aluminum pistons expand more in the bore. This CAN lead to noises before the pistons warm up, which is not a great scenario for manufactires of production cars and crate engines in which knocking noises are undesiraeable.

peace
Hog

Last edited by Hogg; 06-21-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 278 Times in 260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
Not really fair? Sure thats your opinion I guess.

There are only 3 SBC engines that use forged cranks in the last 30 years.
1) 662hp/LS9(forged steel crank/forged pistons/forged titanium rods),
2)556hp Cadillac 6.2L LSA(forged steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged PM rods,,
3)505 hp 7.0L LS7 forged 4140 steel crank/cast hyper pistons/forged steel titanium rods.

Using your logic, all aftermarket manufacturers that produce a cast crank will experience breakage, simply because it is made of metal that is cast in a casting, vs. being forged into shape?

I could have posted pages of issues with Eagle cranks.

Look at the 4340 forged unit, it was out 1-2 thou. from center to edge of the main bearing surface. Thats horrible, but typical of many products manufactured these days.

peace
Hog
sorry, I figure most people that are building warmed over engines blow right past the cast parts, otherwise why not use a g.m./ford part as there are millions of them..
and frankly I'd rather a crank that wasn't finish ground.
maybe it me, but if I'm buying a new crank, it's a forged one.
there also is a reason eagle/scat/etc are half the cost of other cranks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 869
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 2
Thanked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
sorry, I figure most people that are building warmed over engines blow right past the cast parts, otherwise why not use a g.m./ford part as there are millions of them..
and frankly I'd rather a crank that wasn't finish ground.
maybe it me, but if I'm buying a new crank, it's a forged one.
there also is a reason eagle/scat/etc are half the cost of other cranks.
If you want to build a 383 you either have to buy an aftermarket crank or you are forced to buy the GMPP 4340 3.8" stroker crank. These cranks are far from pretty though. Lightening holes off center with the edges of the hole drilled through the edge of the counterweight.

Not too many 400 SBC cranks around anymore. If I needed a 3.48" stroke crank and didnt want to pay a lot. I would be using a stock nodular iron crank, these are excellent pieces for the money.

yes there is a reason that these makers are less expensive which is my point. But a cast crank shouldnt bust in 2 during everyday driving.

But buyer beware.

peace
hog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
If you want to build a 383 you either have to buy an aftermarket crank or you are forced to buy the GMPP 4340 3.8" stroker crank. These cranks are far from pretty though. Lightening holes off center with the edges of the hole drilled through the edge of the counterweight.

Not too many 400 SBC cranks around anymore. If I needed a 3.48" stroke crank and didnt want to pay a lot. I would be using a stock nodular iron crank, these are excellent pieces for the money.

yes there is a reason that these makers are less expensive which is my point. But a cast crank shouldnt bust in 2 during everyday driving.

But buyer beware.

peace
hog
In support of this post......Ford raced the 289 in Cobra Coupes in 12 and 24 hour races with properly prepped cast cranks and revved to 7000 and slightly higher on occasion. The 1st Z/28's were, to my knowledge cast nodular 283 cranks in fuelie 327 engines to de stroke them to 302 cid. I know of a few that revved 8000 more than once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,198
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 107
Thanked 278 Times in 260 Posts
[quote=S10 Racer;1686584]And most likely you are wrong, guaranteed!! I'm not talking about "most" SBC, this is a high hp, high rpm 400ci

Last edited by gearheadslife; 07-07-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Richiehd's Avatar
JS-70
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Jupiter FL
Posts: 834
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 147
Thanked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebike61 View Post
. The 1st Z/28's were, to my knowledge cast nodular 283 cranks in fuelie 327 engines to de stroke them to 302 cid. I know of a few that revved 8000 more than once.
Cast 283 crankshaft is very rare. Most all 283's including the 67-68 Z28 were forged. The Z cranks were Tufftrded, while most of the 283 cranks were not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiehd View Post
Cast 283 crankshaft is very rare. Most all 283's including the 67-68 Z28 were forged. The Z cranks were Tufftrded, while most of the 283 cranks were not.
Learn something new everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to mikethebike61 For This Useful Post:
PapaG (07-13-2014)

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old B Rated Car Movies (anyone?) wretched ratchet Off-Topic 45 07-13-2013 12:31 AM
Ever seen one of these?? (Rated G) wretched ratchet Off-Topic 12 03-28-2008 12:06 AM
TCI Streetfighter rated HP use Fil Transmission - Rearend 6 08-29-2004 09:07 AM
Speed Rated Tires Dreadlord General Rodding Tech 2 02-23-2004 01:25 AM
Speed rated tires Dreadlord General Rodding Tech 1 12-23-2003 10:12 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.