Eagle or scat crank?? what would you use? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 11:26 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Eagle or scat crank?? what would you use?

Hey Guys

Quick question, on a cast steel Crank,,, price Range From $189 to $269 which Crank would you use on a wild street Car,, (11 sec street car)

Would you use a eagle crank or a scat 9000 crank?? ( non forged cranks)

Has anyone heard any ups or down on these cranks?

thanks for any info.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

cranks

I have used both Eagle and Scat cranks with very good results.

If i had to make a choice between the two, I would use the Scat in your application. I have had some sizing issues with the eagle cranks, I can say that i have never had that problem with the scat cranks. IMO i feel scat has a better handle on there quality control. The last crank i got from scat went in a LT1. My bob weight came out to 1902 grams. The Scat crank for that application has a target bob weight of 1900 grams. On the balancer it showed that it was at exactly 1900 grams. This does not happen all the time and you really need to balance it, but that was just a example for you.

Keith
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Use either but check both closely.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:08 AM

cranks

why be cheap about it ? i run 11's in my malibu and i run a COLA crankshaft. in my opinion people want a fast car with cheap components and then wonder why their stuff blows up or breaks on them. im not being partial towards cheaper brands or anything but why not spend the money on a good crank that you rev like crazy and that will last for years rather than buying a cheap crank that you might worry about breaking when you rev the motor to 7 or 8 grand. in my opinion cheap can make or build you a fast motor but how long will it last!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM

Last photo:

as keith said use the scat, the eagle cranks that have come in our shop, have had size problems. most new eagle cranks need to be machined to get true. you shouldn't have to do this with a new crank! scat has always been spot on. sam-missle
Old 01-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

crank

The debate over USA made and off shore parts rages on, and will for ever. I can tell you that I have Eagle cranks in 9 and 10 second engines and Scat cranks in 10 and 11 second engines with zero breakage issues from any of them.

I have an Eagle crank in a 427 pro-charged small block making 800 plus hp.

I also have a scat 9000 series crank in a 406 Chevy making 580 hp. And it’s a 4 speed car. This engine had a minimum of 10,000 street miles and 100 1/4 mile passes. When I did the maintenance on the engine the crank was in good shape and only needed a light polish.

Good assembly practices, and as Bill pointed out checking everything for correct size can make all the difference in what lives and what don’t. You can buy a top of the line crank and if you have the wrong bearing clearances, your going to have problems. Many time the part get the blame for being inferior, when it was improper assembly techniques that was the blame…….

Keith
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 AM
Stroke Meister

Last photo:

Get the Scat piece.
The 9000 series cranks have been used successfully in some pretty stout motors. I can't recall anyone complaining about a Scat piece. The 9000 will live in some pretty harsh environments too, but would not use a cast unit if you are going to beat the snot out of it regularly or be hosing the motor. JMO
Old 01-30-2008, 07:45 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

I like the Scat forged cranks over the Eagles and we tried some Scat cast cranks years ago in some circle track engines that were 2 barrel engines 375 horse and we broke 3 of them in one season and a engine shop near me seen the same problmes but since then we have gone to Forged cranks only at our shop and that change seem to take care of the problem.

They will probabaly will work fine for a street deal and strip but when a customer comes in and askes about cast cranks we take them out back show them the end results.

At our shop we no cast cranks and no hyper pistons and so far zero problems as we do alot of balancing for other shops and have seen problems with cast cranks and hypers.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I'm with Carl on this one. A cast steel crank is ok for a stock or mildly warmed over build, but I've seen them break on something making decent horsepower. It's cheaper to use one 4340 Scat or Eagle crank (I prefer Scat) than 2 (or more, plus related damaged parts) cast pieces............

tom
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

I have used scat cranks and would recommend them. I would also recommend spending the few extra bucks and get a forged one.

Jordon
Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

I am biased but I like Eagle cranks I have used both cast and forged cranks from them and never had any problems.

I have also heard from people who say that any aftermarket crank will need to be straightened. But again I have never had this problem,

The Eagle 4340 crank mains are about .0005 bigger than what I wanted but that is acceptable to me.

For what you are doing though I would pony up the extra couple of hundred bucks and get a nice forged crank.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I just had a customer with a bad eagle crank today on a new 3 valve 4.6 turbo motor the snout was undersize about .0015 thou and most of the journals were out of round progressively worse from front to back up to .0008 out which can be polished but on an aluminum motor with tight tolerances was a bit disappointing. not to say this doesn't happen with any company but i have seen a couple more from eagle
Old 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

I have never used Eagle. I have used alot of Scat 9000 series cranks with no problems for hot street applications.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:

Hey Guys thanks for the info,,, I ordered a scat 9000 crank today,,

Another question on 5.7 bushed rods,,,,, would you guys use eagle 5140 rod or the scat 4340 rods?
the eagle's cost more and there only 5140 steel, i think there around $239 and you can get the scat 4340 rod for $199??? seem's to me that the scat is the way to go because of the fact there cheaper and better steel...

In my 406 combo using the scat 9000 crank, Full floating forged pistons,, Alum head motor that will be putting out little under 500hp.. what scat or eagle forged rod would be the best to use in my street/strip motor?

Any extra info would help again thanks always
Old 01-31-2008, 06:04 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke55
Hey Guys thanks for the info,,, I ordered a scat 9000 crank today,,

Another question on 5.7 bushed rods,,,,, would you guys use eagle 5140 rod or the scat 4340 rods?
the eagle's cost more and there only 5140 steel, i think there around $239 and you can get the scat 4340 rod for $199??? seem's to me that the scat is the way to go because of the fact there cheaper and better steel...

In my 406 combo using the scat 9000 crank, Full floating forged pistons,, Alum head motor that will be putting out little under 500hp.. what scat or eagle forged rod would be the best to use in my street/strip motor?

Any extra info would help again thanks always
Buy the Scat stroker rod with 7/16 bolts as its a shame to buy the wrong rods and have to grind on them and a smaller base circle cam may be in order.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.