early comet engine swap (or early mustang) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
speed on..hell aint half full.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

early comet engine swap (or early mustang)

Heya fellas, I got this 61' merc comet a few months ago, Ive been runnin her stock with the ol' 170" and merc-o-matic well, she runs good and has got me through a few roadtrips (carshows) but, Im gettin bored....Now, I found a good deal on a 302 w/ a 3-spd....Doesnt look incredibly difficult to do a swap, aside from cuttin out the tranny tunnel and fabbin up some motor mounts...should be pretty easy? anyone out there done a similar swap (or maybe a swap into an early mustang, they are fairly close as far as i can tell) If anyone has any hints or hangups they encountered I sure would appreciate the heads up....goin to get the 302 sat....(goin straight to the machine shop fer a punchout) thanks, B.L.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2007, 02:08 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You are going to have to upgrade the front suspension and spindles to a 63/ COMET/FALCON and at least an 8" rear.

-COMET PERFORMANCE FORUM-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	COMET DYNO-DON Scoop.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	25217  
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

Last photo:

she's got an 8" rearend already....Why swap the spindles? aside from the obvious 4-lug thing......also, any problems with clearing the suspension and everything underneath?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:43 PM

Last photo:

Try and find a Comet/Fairlane or Mustang to get the engine mounts, carb linkage , alternator mount and power steering, mounts and hoses, if you are going to use it , Not much room between the shock tower so you will probably want to get some original exhaust manifolds for the 260(they are restrictive) or a set of headers (better.)
Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALGONEKATT
she's got an 8" rearend already....Why swap the spindles? aside from the obvious 4-lug thing......also, any problems with clearing the suspension and everything underneath?
there 6cyl spindals. not meant for V8 weight.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Heya fellas, I got this 61' merc comet a few months ago, Ive been runnin her stock with the ol' 170" and merc-o-matic well, she runs good and has got me through a few roadtrips (carshows) but, Im gettin bored....Now, I found a good deal on a 302 w/ a 3-spd....Doesnt look incredibly difficult to do a swap, aside from cuttin out the tranny tunnel and fabbin up some motor mounts...should be pretty easy? anyone out there done a similar swap (or maybe a swap into an early mustang, they are fairly close as far as i can tell) If anyone has any hints or hangups they encountered I sure would appreciate the heads up....goin to get the 302 sat....(goin straight to the machine shop fer a punchout) thanks, B.L.
64/65 Mustang will supply all the parts you need. The first Gen Mustang is nothing more than a first gen Falcon/Comet with a V8 transplant. Falcon/Comet parts are interchangeable right down to the window glass, back seat side glass excepted. Ford even proto-typed the Mustang in 1963 with a thing called the Falcon Sprint/Comet Caliente which came with a 260 V8, just like the 64 Mustang.

Are you in luck or what?

Bogie
Old 11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
1965 Buick Skylark

You're closer to a same year Falcon than a Mustang.

This site speaks to exactly what you're planning: http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/fal...-6-8-swap.html

Cheers,
JMC
Old 11-02-2007, 03:26 AM
aka Duke of URL

351W exhaust manifolds are cheap imitations of 289/271HP manifolds and will give you the most flow for small bucks.

As mentioned, the 6 cyl spindles are weak and might well break under the strain (consider GRANADA disc brake upgrade). Do a search here on either MUST/FALCON upgrade as it is either the upper or lower control arms that have to be switched also. Also 8 cyl steering linkage.

You asked and I am telling you.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 AM

Last photo:

Anyone know where to find a grenada? haha... Well, I got a friend thats a first gen. mustang junkie; who, recently went to a rack and pinion on his 65' so maybe hes got some extra stuff layin round the garage (or can point me in the right direction) that link was pretty good info as far as overcoming the streering column dilema....(header clearance) and crossmember info.... guess ill figure it out as I go...ya'll stick around, ill post some pics (and probably have more questions) thanks fellas....
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

Anyone know where to find a grenada? haha...
I guess I am considered a comedian now...

You do what you want, but I cannot see going to all of the trouble and expense of a rack and pinion, whether a GM bolt-on or a MUST II conversion. Your steering can be made to respond just as quickly.

Last edited by 68NovaSS; 04-24-2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:52 AM

Last photo:

naw duke, I was sayin' my buddy converted his stang, so, he may have extra stock parts around from after the conversion....and as far as the grenada, well, have you looked for a parts greneda lately? not many around north georgia anyhow... That would be **** tho....i would love to go with discs up front.....ill be surfin salvage yards (as always) did mavericks or early mustangs (that'll match up) come with a disc brake option??
Old 11-02-2007, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Oh, and I love drag links anyhow....
Old 11-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

I know of a few ways to warm up a 200 I6, if you wanted to be diffrent. people sometimes give them away, and it's a direct swap from a 170. I turbocharged my
200 after I fully rebuilt it for turbocharging.

Granada spindal/ brake swap will work ( same spindals for 6cyl and V8 so don't worry ) but the tie rods are the wrong thread on a '61, so you'll need adaptor sleeves. can be got from http://www.discbrakeswap.com/
Old 11-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Last photo:

well, ask and ye shall recieve....thats not a bad price for that grenada swap kit...beats the hell outta ssbc!!! they wanta arm and an a** cheek!!!
Looks like im back to the drawing board with powertrain, went to get the 302 mill on sat (after talkin to the fella friday) and apparently it got sold and gone about an hour before i got there!! I thought of a 200 with a slingshot and 2 dueces....never thought of a turbo though, intriuging, hows she do off the line matt? what kinda boost you runnin?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

I don't have it running yet w/ the turbo. it's in place but all that intercooler piping takes time to fab up.. heres the site to it www.matt1951.freespaces.com

I built it with all the best parts, full roller rockers, double roller bilitt timing chain,
turbo matched camshaft ( 224/224 .495/.495 112* LSA ) Ford 2.3 HSC flat top pistions, 0 decked block, newer cylinder head. yeilds 8.8:1 compression, set up for 8 PSI of boost.

check out www.fordsix.com there are a few on there that have running Turbo 200's. there is a '63 Falcon w/ a turbocharged 250 w/ lots of goodies, that runs 10.9's and 11's. it's been in a couple mags, talk to does10s on that site, he owns it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.