Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   Early Ford Spindles -- Bolt Patterns (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/early-ford-spindles-bolt-patterns-125302.html)

Dugg 09-29-2007 03:10 PM

Early Ford Spindles -- Bolt Patterns

I have a set of early Ford spindles and I pretty much thought the hole pattern for the backing plates was all about the same. The right spindle has two tie rod end holes. I've already made wheel bearing spacers and caliper mounting brackets for GM calipers and rotors for these spindles.

I just bought Chassis Engineering forged steering arms and discover they are a different mounting bolt pattern then my spindles.

Is there information or drawings somewhere to help me determine what I have now and before I buy CE's forged spindles?

Deuce 09-29-2007 03:50 PM

1937 to 1948 Ford spindles have the same backing plate pattern. That is the most popular ... and what the CE ones are also.

What year do you think your spindles are ??

Youngster 09-29-2007 04:11 PM

early Ford spindles -- bolt pattrens

I think you have a pair of '35 or '36 spindles. Have you cut the steering arms off the spindles? If you haven't, you can heat and reshape the arms. That's the good news. If you've cut the arms off, well I don't know of any after market arms for these spindles. If you've made bearing adapters and caliper mounts, I would think you would be skilled enough to whip up a set of steering arms. You already have half of the figuring done with the arms from CE.

Youngster

Dugg 10-04-2007 08:11 AM

Youngster, you're right.

I can make steering arms.

The other problem I didn't mention is the fact on my spindles - we'll assume they're 35-36 is, there isn't enough room between the axle end and spindle for the bearing.

Looking at this last night with a glass of Chardoney, I think I can mill about .375 off the spindle top king pin lug and a little off the axle end to get the bearing in. I'm not looking forwrd to having to set up the spindles in a mill to cut them. I just don't like milling steelas much as I love milling aluminum. Let the chip fall where they may.

The arms are still on the spindles so I can heat and bend them.

I guess I'll put the Chassis Eng. arms on ebay or look around for some later spindles or step up to a pair of Chassis Eng spindles.

Thanks,

Doug

Youngster 10-04-2007 03:40 PM

Early Ford Spindles--Bolt Patterns

Doug... The reason there isn't enough room for the bearing is because on the '35 - '36 spindles, the bearing was between the top boss on the spindle and the cup for the brake shaft on the king pin. Personally, I would call Jim at CE and order a pair of spindles to go with the arms you have from them.

Youngster