Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Early GM tilt-telescope column
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 kustom View Post
All I replaced was the Complete part. I would say it comes with the detent. Check number 49308.
Nope. Thats a Dorman Products part #, and the Dorman site says that it fits non-tilt column.

I dug up an interesting conversation on the ChevyTalk forum that you might want to read thru, and determine what is / isn't correct information.

It seems to suggest that the 1966 column was a "one-off" edition in at least one response, and is said to be "similar" to many others, other than perhaps the floor mounting bracket (3-hole versus 4-hole)

They also suggest that SAGINAW columns were also installed in some Dodge cars of the same vintage.
Quote:
How rare is it? Here's a figure to put to it. Out of 1,499,878 full size Chevy's there were 17,484 tilt-tele (N37) columns installed in the 1966 production run. For comparison, out of that same figure 447,011 (30 %) had deluxe air conditioning . They are tough to find, especially complete ones. The column in the pictures that 59fins took is not Chevrolet as JimKshortstep4X4 pointed out. Very possibly another, ahem, division of GM. It also could be Chrysler. The stainless (aluminum?) part and tilt/signal levers look a lot like Chrysler columns I have seen. Saginaw was the OEM supplier for GM and Chrysler tilt-tele columns.
As far as the Echlin part number DL-6187 that I supplied ... yes, it is the complete switch assembly, which includes the cancelling cam.

I cannot, however, confirm that it would be correct for the T/T column without a call to the tech line. I will shoot them an e-mail and ask ... and will expect to have a reply in the next day or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to 66GMC For This Useful Post:
Aerotech (10-09-2012)