Hot Rod Forum banner

"Early GM Van" - Tilt column - any pictures?

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  fast68 
#1 ·
It won't be all that long (probably a month or 2?) until we're ready to drop my (1966 GMC) cab back on the frame, and the next order of business will be a steering column.

I have been told that an "early GM van" (70 - 76?) tilt column is virtually a bolt-in for my truck.

1.) Can anyone verify that and/or tell about their experiences?

2.) Does anyone have any pictures of the column?

I also understand that this particular column is very much in demand for ALL KINDS of applications (i.e. T-Buckets, etc) because it has the "PRNDL" indicator on the column, but not the ignition switch.

I have the tilt column out of the 1979 GMC C2500 ... but it doesn't have the "PRNDL" and it DOES have the ignition switch ... and it looks far from "bolt on". :(

TIA,
Don

#2 ·

I have owned over 50 van tilts ... maybe even 0ne hundred. I have bought and sold them for years. I always keep 2 or 3 around ( the creme of the crop ) for my own use ...

:D

I have sold them to folks that said they fit in the 64, 65 and 66 trucks real easy ... but I have NOT ever done the swap myself. Early ones do not have the neutral start switch on the column. Later ones do. On the early vans ... the neutral start switch was mounted on the transmission. I have one of those setups on my 32 Roadster. And will have on my 32 3W project.

Factory GM is hard to beat ... when you can use it ... :thumbup:

#3 ·
Tilt steering

66GMC said:
It won't be all that long (probably a month or 2?) until we're ready to drop my (1966 GMC) cab back on the frame, and the next order of business will be a steering column.

I have been told that an "early GM van" (70 - 76?) tilt column is virtually a bolt-in for my truck.

1.) Can anyone verify that and/or tell about their experiences?

2.) Does anyone have any pictures of the column?

I also understand that this particular column is very much in demand for ALL KINDS of applications (i.e. T-Buckets, etc) because it has the "PRNDL" indicator on the column, but not the ignition switch.

I have the tilt column out of the 1979 GMC C2500 ... but it doesn't have the "PRNDL" and it DOES have the ignition switch ... and it looks far from "bolt on". :(

TIA,
Don
I seriously doubt a later model post will work. A 66 model is a totally different set up. The newer model "70's & up" have a different mounting point thats designed for the dash. The steering post mount on a 66 model is basically in front of you on that triangular mount between your legs. If you are creative and mechanically inclined?....I don't see why it would be hard to make a tilt steering work on your van. Hell.......I'd go all out and use a telescopic steering unit from a Vette or Tornado, Eldorado or any GM product that uses a telescopic steering post. Cheers! Mike

#4 ·
Thanks Duece,

That column does look pretty similar all right, so I'm thinking it will fit the factory mounts, etc.

Did I have the year range right? 70 to 76?
I've seen a few vans at the wreckers ... but almost all of them have rectangular headlights. This makes me think they are late 70's to early 80's ... are those too new to be similar?

I think that having the NS switch right on the column would be easiest.

Thanks again,
Don

#6 ·
Hi guys,

I picked up a column from a wrecker today ... he just so "happened to have one off already" :evil:

It looks identical to the one in Duece's picture above. NS switch and all.

He said "What are you putting it in ... an old Chevy truck?" so obviously he has heard that they work well.

I had $40.00 in my mind as a price ... and he had $150.00 (!) in his ... so we settled on a hunnerd bucks. (ouch)

Oh well ... $100 is cheap compared to some of the other items on my list. :p

#7 ·
66GMC said:
I had $40.00 in my mind as a price ... and he had $150.00 (!) in his ... so we settled on a hunnerd bucks. (ouch)
One hundred dollars is a good price ... for you ... ;) you did OK ...

I never pay more than $60 or so ... because I cannot sell them for more than $150 or so anymore. Years back they would bring $200 and more. All the Street rod guys wanted them. Now Ididit sells new ones ... 1 - 800 style, charge the VISA and UPS delivers ... and it has really hurt the sale value of the used ones.

I was out in a fairly rural area I rarely travel and saw a junk yard with a bunch of old vans and trucks. I stopped and told the guy I needed a Chevrolet/GMC van tilt for my van ( because I am a big guy ;) ) He said he had one ... 35 dollars. I asked to look at it first ... he said " Just walk out back and pick the one you want ... there's 6 or 8, maybe 10 back there. " :D

I bought all 7 for 150 dollars cash ... :thumbup:

#12 ·
the vans columns work perfectly in the 67-72 trucks, they are the same, just need to be collapsed is all, very easy,and use the wiring harness adapter, flat to half moon one, i have a fewlaying around, sometimes they were used from factory, in which is how i found one, th other i bought at the local chevy dealer parts counter

100 bucks for a van tilt is good

if its tight and complete

clean it up, put new bearings and turn signal switch assembly in it, and its good to go

easy

good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.