early hemi cuda project! need help shipping engines and building an early hemi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2002, 08:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Exclamation early hemi cuda project! need help shipping engines and building an early hemi

I am currently scoping out/planning an "early hemi" 71 cuda project and was hoping some other more experienced rodders in the early hemi's could help me out. I going ealry hemi vs. 440 because lets face it nothing beats spark plugs in the valve covers and a 426 crate hemi costs about the same as I'm budgeting for the whole project. Thanks to a few brave souls that have already done this succesfully I think I got the installation hassles into an ebody worked out.." or at least it's another topic " but right now I need some advice on the early hemi's themselves... My goal is to build up an early hemi to put out at least the same power as the advertised 426 hemi spec 425hp/480lbs torque" hopefully even better . Without using trick aluminum heads, nitros, blowers etc.. but I'm still looking for some one who has built an early street hemi with some basic hop up mods " cam, intake, exhaust, minor headwork, rebuild etc.. vs. all out blown racers... if anybody has built an early hemi to make my hp/torque goals without the expensive trick parts please let me know of the details of your build..

Recently in my research I have stumbled upon a complete 354 hemi I can steal for a couple hundred bucks!.. I was origanially thinking 392 but at this cost to buy it is a no brainer however I have 2 issues: first the cheapest frieght shipping I could find was $700! and that was dock to dock not from residence to residence from Colorado to Oregon.. if anybody knows a better figure "hopeful much better!" please let me know... as I don't really want to spend 3-4 times the cost of the motor on shipping

Also if anyone has built up a 354 "or even a 392, 331 or other hemi dodge/ desots..please let me know the cam, intake, exhaust, machine work you used and what kind of hp/torque you managed to get out of it.. as I can get a 331 locally and if the 392 build is leaps and bounds above the 354, I'll probably go that route....my direct email address is thecountmc@yahoo.com

Thanks,
a bunch
Scott

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2002, 10:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Scott, you can bore a 331 .125" to a 354 bore size, you can also stroke it upwards to 390 cubic inches, but it's all in how much you want to spend. Contact Hotheads racing and research, they specialize in early hemis. You can use the early "555" heads, they are the best iron head for racing{ which I have a set.} You can get big horsepower out of an early hemi, but they are pretty pricey to build. If you locate a 392 block, you can build a real thumper, but they are hard to find. Your best bet is to find a whole car with an early hemi in it, then you'll have all of the small pieces you'll need. Brian
Old 12-25-2002, 10:58 AM

No doubt the hemi is a cool idea. Just wondering though, Car Craft did an engine build on a 440 - total cost was $6,200.00. They ended up with 590#ft and 540hp. Don't know what your budget is, but just a thought.
Old 12-25-2002, 02:34 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree with the rest of the group. Rebuilding an early hemi isn't cheap. For a mild rebuild it'll cost you about the same as a BBC ($1500 parts plus machine work). If you go for forged pistons, roller cam etc. you're up another grand or so.

Most early hemis will need to be align bored, rods reconditioned, new valve guides, seals, and hardened seats along with surfacing and decking. Cylinder boring will depend on the block's condition and your piston budget.

Bob at PowerPlay is the guy to talk to (he also owns HotHeads) for specific info. Just remember that hemi parts will always cost more than small block Chevy stuff. For instance SBC rod bearings will run you around $35 at your local auto parts shop. For a hemi your talking about $150.

Good luck

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>
Old 12-27-2002, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the hints guys, I'll follow up on the leads... I know a 440 would be cheaper to get more HP" I have a 440-6 ready to go for my RoadRunner" but I really want to build a Hemi cuda and lets face it a 440 just doesn't have the same flare as a shaker hood scope with the hemi valve covers resting on each side so I'm willing to fork over the extra cash and even lose some HP potential. And while expensive compared to your average big block the prices for buying an old engine and basic rebuild on the early hemi are dirt cheap compared to a 426 hemi, besides with a couple of motor mounts, trans and distributor adaptor it's practically a bolt in swap..
Old 12-28-2002, 06:15 PM

I recently built a 392. I did not use any "trick" parts, and used the old 12 issue Hot rodder Hemi articles as a guide. I used the following parts. Stock crank bored .060, and stroked 5/8th inch. Forged 9.5-1 pistons w/endless rings. 440 rods, narrowed .020 on big ends, and all rotating parts balanced.

I used a mild street rod cam, Wiend 2x4 manifold w/2 Eidelbrock 750's. I shot piened the rods after removing part line, releived the block to allow crank to turn (5/8ths stroke extends rods and crank basic turning circle). I reconditioned rocker shafts (important), used triple roller chain, Isky adjustable pushrods and lifters. I blocked off filter and use two oil filter remote mount, sanderson block headers, 7 rib drive belt, chev alternator, but stock chrysler water xover and water pump. There is some more also but that is the main things.

I installed 468 and torqueflite in 79 Dodge little red express clone.

Should have 550 HP minimum. Cost was about $6800 but that is complete, where as crate 426 still needs manifolds, etc.

Ron
Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Re: Early Hemi E-body

Hello, my name is MOPAR CHARLIE, I specialize in INSTALING EARLY HEMIS INTO B-E BODY MOPARS.

I sell ******************************** and I do offer FREE EARLYHEMI INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

Please feel free to call me I am located in Florida

************evenings and weekends and my cell is *************daily

I have photos to share ( 70 331 HEMICUDA )

please e-mail me @ ****************

Last edited by Centerline; 11-30-2007 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidart
Hello, my name is MOPAR CHARLIE, I specialize in INSTALING EARLY HEMIS INTO B-E BODY MOPARS.

I sell the necessary parts that are needed, Adapters, Motor Mounts, and I do offer FREE EARLYHEMI INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

************** evenings and weekends and my cell is *********** daily

I have photos to share ( ***** ***** **** )

please e-mail me @ **** ***** **** * * **

....And, you are about 5 years too late.....

In a while, Chet.

Last edited by schnitz; 11-30-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidart

I sell ******************************** and I do offer FREE EARLYHEMI INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

************evenings and weekends and my cell is *************daily

I have photos to share ( 70 331 HEMICUDA )

please e-mail me @ ****************
Sorry Charley but advertising in the forums is not allowed.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
Rust Buster

Last journal entry: birthday surprise
Last photo:

Old 12-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Saw that one coming from his intro...........................
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Does that almost look like one of those fill in the blank generic form type responses?
Old 12-03-2007, 10:00 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

You can have a lot of fun building a 354 hemi but 550 hp at least drivable and non supercharged might be dreaming a little. At least from a cost standpoint. It still will be a lot of work as these were not the most precision motors on a good day. You will have to do all the machine work as noted above. A long "arm" crank is a good idea if you can find one cheap enough. Cubic inches are always good.

I'd just build a good reliable one and have fun with it. You are right there is nothing like having spark plug tubes in the valve covers.

We didn't help you younger guys. There are a lot of our remains of early hemi's at the bottom of lakes around the country anchoring rafts and docks in the retirement communities. haha

The stuff we tossed in the dumpster would make you guys cry for weeks. hahah
Old 12-03-2007, 05:21 PM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

Google Hotheads, they are old Hemi experts with lots of parts.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.