Early Hemi's - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2001, 06:06 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Early Hemi's

Looking to talk with other early hemi enthusiasts,I am currently building a 55 Dodge Coronet 2 dr wagon with a 270 cu in hemi.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2002, 04:36 PM

Wink

Unless you are an originality freak, I'd opt for the lighter weight 340 or 360. As I said, unless you're really into being totally original, that particular engine is extremely heavy and only developes like 14 horsepower. I'd go for the late model disc brakes, and power steering, and go with a nicely tweeked 727 torqueflyte trannie. An 8-3/4" posi rearend with a 3.55, or 3.91 ratio would probably give you all the launch you'd ever want or need. Anything a hemi will fit into, will easily accept a Mopar small block. Give it some serious thought before you start wasting your money on worthless, hard-to-find stuff...........that is, unless you're into originality!?!
Old 05-31-2002, 10:56 AM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Smile

Hey now.
You let that guy build his Hemi :p . The Hemi parts are pretty hard to find, but its hard to beat the looks of a good Hemi under the hood. Im currently rebuilding a 354 Chrysler Hemi and although a little pricey, it will run good, look great and draw even the biggest Chevy and Ford enthusiast at a show, race or whatever. If you havent been there yet, go to www.powerplayhemi.com it has a swap meet on the front page twords the bottom you can buy, sell all kinds of parts. Good luck and if your wanting to chat, Im a hard one to shut up once I get going. HemmiGremmie

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 05-31-2002, 12:44 PM

Last photo:

if someone does talk you out of using that "heavy" hemi, i will gladly give you the shipping fees and relieve you of it. if you keep it,check with this outfit : hot heads phone 336 352 4866 or
www.hothemiheads.com they advertise as offering early hemi products and knowledge,advice. keep us up to date on the hemi. good luck
Old 05-31-2002, 01:18 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Wink

Let me straighten out Bent Wrench a little bit before I go on to anything else.

First that little Dodge hemi weighs 580 pounds fully dressed out, about 5 pounds more than a small block Chevy and with a 4 bbl. carb will develop just as much horsepower as a stock 1981 Corvette 350.

All that being said the small Dodge hemis are great little motors. They're reliable and there are still performance parts available. Although any hemi will cost more than a small block to rebuild, a good performance rebuild can be done for about the same cost as a big block Chevy.

Parts are available from <a href="http://www.powerplayhemi.com" target="_blank">PowerPlay Hemi</a> and Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW) not to mention <a href="http://www.kanter.com" target="_blank">Kanter Auto Parts</a> not to mention e-bay and PowerPlay's swap meet section. There are also adaptors available to bolt the small block torquefligh, or GM TH 350 or 400s.

No engine ever built can match the class or engineering perfection of a Hemi. If there were, then all the top fuel and funny car guys would be running Fords or Chevys and they're not.

Build that little old outdated hemi and let all the Chevy, Ford and all the other Mopar guys drool over it. Just don't paint it green. You don't want their faces to clash with it.

Bill
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">HotRodsAndHemis.com</a>
Old 05-31-2002, 01:48 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

Talking

Amen to that!

JB
Old 05-31-2002, 05:10 PM

Cool

Don't let anyone talk you out of building the baby Dodge hemi! These are very well designed engines. I bet a 350 chev would have a hard time pulling away from a 270 inch hemi. One word of caution, The Dodge red ram, Chrysler firepower and the Desoto fireflite hemi's are all different designs and parts do not interchange! Do your homework!. They can be a bit spendy to rebuild, but these engines run. I recently rode in a friends 73 Dodge with a built 241 Dodge red ram hemi that he installed, at about 120 mph, it was just feeling it's legs. (3.08 rear gears). I don't think a sbc chevy could pull high gear like a small hemi. Good luck on your project!
Old 06-01-2002, 12:50 PM

Last photo:

Darn right everyone.
Heck, my 354 Hemi back in 1956 from the factory made 280 horses at 4800 rpm's and 380 ft lbs of tourque at 2800 rpm's!! With a mild cam, sftermarket intake, headers, good ignition system, your looking at 400 +horses and 500+ ft lbs of tourque, and tourque is were its at. I love all makes, but a Hemi is just coooolll!!!

Just remember, if it aint got holes in the valve covers, send it packin!

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 06-02-2002, 08:00 AM

Red face

Psssssssssss.......that's the air going outa my ego. Guys, I really love the looks of any hemi, but ya gotta know what you are pointing this poor guy towards. Of all those early hemi parts that ARE available out there, you hafta admit that some shifty-eyed character is gonna see him coming and sell him muffler bearings and interositter bolts for his crank dangler. Hey, MoparHemi.....what everybody is telling you is correct, but proceed with caution. There's a hundred million tons of "early Hemi" stuff out there, and theres an equal number of people trying to sell it. If they think you don't know what you are looking for, they may wind up selling you some of the aforementioned items. Just remember what Studebaker said,..."Dodge, Chrysler, and DeSoto all made hemi's and they were ALL different. Their parts WILL NOT inter-change. If you have the gung ho to do this, then good luck! We WILL try to help you, but don't buy anything until you check with this site. These guys in here will steer you straight and hopefully keep you from buying something you didn't need. If you have any doubts about your project though, now is the time to decide whether to bail,..........or go "balls to the wall".
Old 06-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Last photo:

Smile

Your onto something there Bentwrench. There are some people who will screw you, but Ive found that most people who deal with Hemi's are pretty nice(especially on the powerplayhemi site). Ive asked a question and usually in a day or so there are 5-15 responses. Mopar Hemi should DEFINATLY buy the new Tex Smiths Hemi guide. Its a really nice book. Filled with stuff. Im new to the Hemi thing also, so I'll bug all of you for info at sometime. HG

Old 06-02-2002, 11:25 AM

Thumbs up

Good suggestion, H.G.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:36 PM

I say good luck on your build. I enjoy seeing all types of motors and cars out there but I must say even in my line of work I am nothing but a mopar nut. That is the reason I am building my latest rod with nothing but 345 cubic inches of fire breathing Desoto power. Twin carters, lake pipes and all the good time correct stuff. Love the looks of the heads hanging outside of the hood of a 33 ford. Makes anythinbg else look puny with the eaception of a wedge mopar with the cross ram tubes and two fours. Good luck on your Early Hemi build and if you need any assistance contact me.
Old 07-05-2002, 08:46 PM

Hey there guys, some interesting conversations you're having. I have some Hemi parts you guys might want. 2 sets of bare 354 heads, 1 set complete 354 heads, complete 331, and a 392 block all can be seen on ebay until july 8th under the seller g7d3h, after that if they don't sell, e-mail me at dodgeram78@hotmail.com within the next week and they can be yours........
Old 12-23-2002, 10:47 AM

Interesting discussion as I am building a 54 Coronet which currently has a 6 residing in it. I too have been going through the hemi/not hemi debate without the luxury of actually having the hemi. If I had it, I would certainly rebuild it. As is, I am looking for a volare clip and a 360. The cost of the used engine (and shipping the beast) is prohibitive, and a breakdown may involve a long process finding a part rather than a trip to the parts store. I plan to drive mine.
Any comments on a volare in this application? It is about 2" wider at the hubs than stock. Is that a problem?
Old 12-26-2002, 11:07 PM

Before you go with the Volare IFS you ought to check with Ply Do for their suspension upgrades. I hear that these Mopars have good suspension geometry and that upgrading to disk brakes is inexpensive. I see a lot of people swapping out the factory Mopar parts when it's not really necessary.

Fat Man Fabrications is another vendor who will "steer" you away from swapping out the complete suspension on '39-54 Mopars.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.