Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Eastwood TIG (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/eastwood-tig-202175.html)

Overdriv 07-17-2011 08:39 PM

Eastwood TIG

First off, please don't turn this into a Miller/Lincoln is better thread.

Most of us know all about Miller and Lincoln welders, if not start a new thread.

I have a Miller Mig, I need a TIG machine that will do Aluminum in my shop small projects, with my hotrods.

Although I can weld good enough to get by, I'm not real knowlegdable about welding, matter of fact my brother and a friend do most of the welding I need done. My eyes are just not as good as they use to be. And I really don't care much for welding.

Anyway, has anyone seen and/or bought one of Eastwoods new TIG welders. I'd like to find first hand opinions and comments.

For the price, it might be decent for a home shop.

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 07-18-2011 05:37 AM

Tho my small TIG is not from Eastwood. It is from their supplier. Direct from China.

I was very sceptical when I bought the Item, but I had previously purchased a plasma cutter from the same manufacturer and it has been great.

The TIG is very powerful and does a good job. NOT like the big Lincoln unit I was used to, but very good for small/medium projects in the garage.. Foot pedal is Kinda cheap looking. Still works good after a year of use.

Consumables are available, cheap and arrive in less than a working week.

Overdriv 07-18-2011 02:34 PM

I just read their warranty and although it is warranted for 3 years, shipping to and from Eastwood is the buyer's responsibility. Might not be a big deal, but it then says all repairs will be made by Eastwood. So that's not a good situation to be in if you need repairs. Shipping is costly these days, especially for something that big and heavy. I'd as soon buy a Miller or Lincoln, even a used one, because the Miller/Lincoln dealer is only 30 miles away.

RippinRon 07-18-2011 05:25 PM

If you want to do aluminum and have decent results you need a squarewave machine that has adjustable ac balance. With a squarewave machine you can use thoriated, ceriated or lanthanated tungstens that are ground to a point on aluminum. You get a narrower arc a can focus the heat better. The new inverter machines are pretty slick they are light and use little power.

JustWeldIt 01-30-2013 07:24 AM

Eastwood Welder Reviews

You can see / review / rate welding machines on Weld.com, including Eastwood.

delawarebill 01-30-2013 09:18 AM

welder

might ck craigslist too.. i've seen alot of really nice welders in my area at a good price..

327NUT 01-30-2013 12:50 PM

All good info but this post is 1 1/2 yrs old folks.

delawarebill 01-30-2013 05:27 PM

Ooops

so much for looking... thanks
i ain't posting my pic for u will know what stupid looks like...