Eastwood Versa Plasma Cutter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Eastwood Versa Plasma Cutter

Anybody used Eastwoods Versa 110/220 v Plasma Cutter before. Its on sale for $599. Done some research on it and seen it has good reviews but also seen where its made in Chiner and parts not readily available? Just looking for a cutter to use every now and then on 1/4" steel plate.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2012, 12:43 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

These threads should be of some help: Eastwood Plasma Cutter Threads.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Last photo:

I will tell you about my experience with China P-cutters.

If they work when you get them. They will give you good service life..

I have purchased mine from the manufacturer. Same guys that make Eastwoods.

First one, about five years ago, a Cut 50. Thing is a workhorse.. Has been abused in every way possible and keeps cutting. WAY more powerful than previous cutter I was using. Terrible instructions and no service information. Luckily it always works.

Parts (consumables) come direct from China in less than seven days and are inexpensive compared to the American cutters I had before. By the way it took them six days to come from Florida and warehouse in California.

Second cutter was purchased for my toy shop. From the same (China) people..This one a Tig, Arc, P-cutter combo. Also a great worker. again consumables are here in a week. Also the foot controll is a bit cheap looking/feeling but works fine. Same terrible instructions and spec manual. Luckily I found one on line.

Now the bad part. I decided to get a machine to weld aluminum a couple of years ago. Not for commercial use, just light work and farm/home stuff. Similar features of the first two. But with AC and H-frequency. First one didn't work out of the box. Second one had a LED out in the on/off switch, no big deal. Replaced it..One day this past spring I was welding a rip in a boat and the thing went POP and quit. everything seems to function but won't start arc. just burns hole and quits. Haven't found anyone locally who can repair it.

Tried some web sites and followed suggestions. Nothing.. Later this fall when things get slow. I'll try again. I see on Ebay there are a few places that claim they can repair it. But it's probably cheaper to buy another..

Just my experiences with a few different China machines.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
I will tell you about my experience with China P-cutters.

If they work when you get them. They will give you good service life..

I have purchased mine from the manufacturer. Same guys that make Eastwoods.

First one, about five years ago, a Cut 50. Thing is a workhorse.. Has been abused in every way possible and keeps cutting. WAY more powerful than previous cutter I was using. Terrible instructions and no service information. Luckily it always works.

Parts (consumables) come direct from China in less than seven days and are inexpensive compared to the American cutters I had before. By the way it took them six days to come from Florida and warehouse in California.

Second cutter was purchased for my toy shop. From the same (China) people..This one a Tig, Arc, P-cutter combo. Also a great worker. again consumables are here in a week. Also the foot controll is a bit cheap looking/feeling but works fine. Same terrible instructions and spec manual. Luckily I found one on line.

Now the bad part. I decided to get a machine to weld aluminum a couple of years ago. Not for commercial use, just light work and farm/home stuff. Similar features of the first two. But with AC and H-frequency. First one didn't work out of the box. Second one had a LED out in the on/off switch, no big deal. Replaced it..One day this past spring I was welding a rip in a boat and the thing went POP and quit. everything seems to function but won't start arc. just burns hole and quits. Haven't found anyone locally who can repair it.

Tried some web sites and followed suggestions. Nothing.. Later this fall when things get slow. I'll try again. I see on Ebay there are a few places that claim they can repair it. But it's probably cheaper to buy another..

Just my experiences with a few different China machines.
Bob, thanks for the reply. I was doing some searching earlier and i found a thread about Eastwod cutters and remember seeing your name in it.however i cant locate the thread anymore and cant remember if you said you had a Eastwood Cutter or not.

I simply can not afford the high end Millers, Lincolns, etc. Im building a bbq smoker and i just need something to cut through 1/4" plate when i need it.

Better yet, is there an American made P-cutter in the price range of the Eastwood ($600) that will do what i want it to do?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

No, there is not. But I bought the HF one, and am very happy with it. Pilot arc (unlike the other China ones), IGBT vs mosfet, Trafimet torch (no zipties like the other ones).

As I said, very happy.. now maybe there are some bad ones out of the box.. I don't know.. ANd it's HF, so forget the warranty I suppose, but I don't regret my decision at all. Requires 240 though.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:05 PM

Last photo:

Plasma

I have one of Eastwood's plasma cutter and love it. I have cut 1/2 plate on 220 volt and the highest power setting, slow but it will cut it. With free shipping and a 3 year warranty you cant go wrong. Consumables, tips and such are available from east wood and are listed in their catalog. As for being made in China I hate to say it but what isn't anymore and you know damn well who we ow that to.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:53 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnew17 View Post
Anybody used Eastwoods Versa 110/220 v Plasma Cutter before. Its on sale for $599. Done some research on it and seen it has good reviews but also seen where its made in Chiner and parts not readily available? Just looking for a cutter to use every now and then on 1/4" steel plate.
If you or anyone else is interesting in buying one, they are offering $40 off today only: Plasma Cutter -Eastwood Versa Cut Plasma Cutter | Plasma Cutters
Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

When I decided to buy a Plama, I knew that I wouldn't use it all that much, and I "just wanted one"-anyway, I found a used Hypertherm 380 on Ebay, bought it for about $400.00 or so, and have used it a lot more than I thought I would-

Consumables are everywhere, and the machine works amazingly, so, for my two cents, I would find and buy a nice used one again if I were in the market (your mileage may vary)-

Tags
home shop tools, plamsa cutter

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.