Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eastwood Welders??

100K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Hawaiian Diesel 
#1 ·
Any know anything about the 220V Auto-Set welders that Eastwood's sells or have experience with them?

Have been set on a Miller, but it looks like Eastwood is offering quite a deal. Does anyone know who makes them?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
ANYTHING Eastwood sells can be found cheaper somewhere else. E-mail them and find out who makes the thing and where it is made, if it is like most things they have it is a Chinese import that may be hard to get consumables for except from Eastwood at their prices!

#5 ·
Only two names in Welders...Miller and Lincoln. Beauty is every Po-Dunk town coast to coast will have parts available for these units. Steer clear of the off brands... They only breed disappointment!
(Hobart and ESAB also good quality. Just less available parts)

#7 ·
matt167 said:
Hobarts are made by Miller

For the umpteenth time Hobart is NOT made by Miller! Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company but they are two different entities and are still competitors for different segments of the market. This "urban legend" got started when ITW (who already owned Miller) bought out the welder division from Hobart but neither Hobart or Miller owns the the other!

The warranty is handled by the same place within ITW, Hobart/Miller electric, kind of strange that it would be HOBART/Miller if Miller owned Hobart! :mwink:

#8 ·
Oldred, does not ITW control the Big Three: Miller, Hobart and Lincoln? While all three are quality welders in comparison to all the multiple brands out there, I like my Thermal Arc better than any other I have used. It is my understanding that the Thrermal Arc was Hobart's top of the line that they sold to the Australian firm, Thermaldyne, before selling the rest to ITW. Don't know how good this info is, but the Thermal Arc speaks for itself. Expendables are no more expensive than those offered by the Big Three, but the design and quality of the wire feed has the others beat hands down.

Trees

#9 ·
We had a Thermal Arc at the shop just before I retired and for a fact it was a great machine!

This Hobart/Miller thing does a real dis-service to a very reputable outfit who has a quality machine for a decent price, Hobart is aimed more at the home/farm/small shop market while Miller is more directed at the industrial market. Hobart and Miller machines do share some common "off the shelf" components and some of the smaller machines are very similar but this in no way means one owns the other or that Hobart is just a stripped down Miller.

#10 ·
trees said:
Oldred, does not ITW control the Big Three: Miller, Hobart and Lincoln? While all three are quality welders in comparison to all the multiple brands out there, I like my Thermal Arc better than any other I have used. It is my understanding that the Thrermal Arc was Hobart's top of the line that they sold to the Australian firm, Thermaldyne, before selling the rest to ITW. Don't know how good this info is, but the Thermal Arc speaks for itself. Expendables are no more expensive than those offered by the Big Three, but the design and quality of the wire feed has the others beat hands down.

Trees
This is true - but I just bought a HH140 and all the cables etc - have MILLER stamped all over them - so they are sharing parts etc.

Stephen

#12 ·
It can be correctly said that ITW owns both Hobart and Miller and because of this they certainly do share some common components. The problem with the misconception that one owns the other is that the story usually goes that the Hobart is an inferior machine which is simply not true, due to differing markets they have different features but Miller and Hobart are still competitors just like Chevy and Buick for instance are competitors within GM but Chevy does not own Buick or the other way around.

#13 ·
Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
-These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
-We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 :rolleyes: )

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW

#14 ·
Matt@Eastwood said:
Hi guys, -We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company,

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

-Matt/EW

Advertising hype is one thing, and we see too much of that these days, but that sounds like a rock solid offer! :thumbup:

The "try it for 30 days" says a lot about the confidence you seem to have in this machine and I have to admit it is a very generous offer, how about the 3 year warranty? Three years is an excellent warranty on a machine for that price could you briefly go over what it covers?

#18 ·
I know this is an extremely old thread but doing some searching I came across this site and like it quite well. Anyhow the eastwood welders seem to use the products used by thermadyne welders, and many others so the tweco brand that sells at any welding shop should work. Also the thermadyne company has the drive rollers and liners that should fit.

I have been a welder for 12 years and mig for that last 8 years, having said that nothing against eastwood, I am purchasing a hobart for my use.

#20 ·
I just wanted to comment on this topic. I just received my Eastwood Tig 200. I haven't tig welded since welding trade school 30 years ago. I fired this machine up and right out of the box it preformed well. I haven't used it much yet but I ran a bead on 1/4" plate and 1/8 aluminum and the beads were consistent. I was getting the feel of the machine. The heat range with the foot peddle is a challange to get used to. In a 8" bead I managed to almost burn through the 1/4" plate in the last 1/4" With practice I can see this welder will be a great asset to my hobby shop.

#21 ·
Hello what size steel can your welder weld up to I was looking at the 175 220v welder almost was about to by it then I saw it welds 5/16 steel that's not enough for me I need to weld up to 1/2 inch steel I seen a Lincoln welder at lowes home improvement center that can weld up to 1/2 sells for $650 not a bad prize for a Lincoln if you ask me if Eastwood welder can weld 1/2 I might go with it but right now I think the Lincoln is my choice for sure

#22 ·
Matt@Eastwood said:
Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
-These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
-We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 :rolleyes: )

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

-Matt/EW

Just one question Matt. You stated your welders are designed and tested in house. Where are the welders made.

#25 ·
Aboveall4x4

Hi I build monster trucks I build a lot of tube frames and my 4 link bars are 1/2 inch thick can your Eastwood welder handle that thick of steel to weld I'm looking for a new welder and seen your welders they look nice and all and backed up with your warranty sounds good but my ? Is can it handle welding 1/2 it only says welds up to 5/16

#26 · (Edited)
I would love to buy a Eastwood 175. The Prices here (Hawaii) for welders are a lot higher here than in the Lower 48.

Shipping a Eastwood to Hawaii is almost a deal killer. I could buy a Lincoln or Hobart for almost the same price.

Not sure how a warranty would be covered.

Can ayone from Hawaii that has a Eastwood 175 chime in?

Is there another source that has cheap shipping?

Thanks!

BTW: I need a welder soon....... I'll be searching for one online. Price point (including shipping ) will sway me from a Box store 220v welder.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.