Eastwood Welders?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2010, 09:23 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Eastwood Welders??

Any know anything about the 220V Auto-Set welders that Eastwood's sells or have experience with them?

Have been set on a Miller, but it looks like Eastwood is offering quite a deal. Does anyone know who makes them?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Last photo:

ANYTHING Eastwood sells can be found cheaper somewhere else. E-mail them and find out who makes the thing and where it is made, if it is like most things they have it is a Chinese import that may be hard to get consumables for except from Eastwood at their prices!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Just go ahead and get that miller, you won't have any regrets
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolrods
Just go ahead and get that miller, you won't have any regrets

Exactly!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
CWI

Only two names in Welders...Miller and Lincoln. Beauty is every Po-Dunk town coast to coast will have parts available for these units. Steer clear of the off brands... They only breed disappointment!
(Hobart and ESAB also good quality. Just less available parts)
Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Hobarts are made by Miller
Old 03-04-2010, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
Hobarts are made by Miller

For the umpteenth time Hobart is NOT made by Miller! Hobart and Miller are owned by the same parent company but they are two different entities and are still competitors for different segments of the market. This "urban legend" got started when ITW (who already owned Miller) bought out the welder division from Hobart but neither Hobart or Miller owns the the other!

The warranty is handled by the same place within ITW, Hobart/Miller electric, kind of strange that it would be HOBART/Miller if Miller owned Hobart!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Oldred, does not ITW control the Big Three: Miller, Hobart and Lincoln? While all three are quality welders in comparison to all the multiple brands out there, I like my Thermal Arc better than any other I have used. It is my understanding that the Thrermal Arc was Hobart's top of the line that they sold to the Australian firm, Thermaldyne, before selling the rest to ITW. Don't know how good this info is, but the Thermal Arc speaks for itself. Expendables are no more expensive than those offered by the Big Three, but the design and quality of the wire feed has the others beat hands down.

Trees
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

We had a Thermal Arc at the shop just before I retired and for a fact it was a great machine!

This Hobart/Miller thing does a real dis-service to a very reputable outfit who has a quality machine for a decent price, Hobart is aimed more at the home/farm/small shop market while Miller is more directed at the industrial market. Hobart and Miller machines do share some common "off the shelf" components and some of the smaller machines are very similar but this in no way means one owns the other or that Hobart is just a stripped down Miller.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trees
Oldred, does not ITW control the Big Three: Miller, Hobart and Lincoln? While all three are quality welders in comparison to all the multiple brands out there, I like my Thermal Arc better than any other I have used. It is my understanding that the Thrermal Arc was Hobart's top of the line that they sold to the Australian firm, Thermaldyne, before selling the rest to ITW. Don't know how good this info is, but the Thermal Arc speaks for itself. Expendables are no more expensive than those offered by the Big Three, but the design and quality of the wire feed has the others beat hands down.

Trees
This is true - but I just bought a HH140 and all the cables etc - have MILLER stamped all over them - so they are sharing parts etc.

Stephen
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

yes the smaller ones do share parts, if you open it up you will find miller part numbers inside, but oldred is correct miller does NOT own hobart
Old 03-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

It can be correctly said that ITW owns both Hobart and Miller and because of this they certainly do share some common components. The problem with the misconception that one owns the other is that the story usually goes that the Hobart is an inferior machine which is simply not true, due to differing markets they have different features but Miller and Hobart are still competitors just like Chevy and Buick for instance are competitors within GM but Chevy does not own Buick or the other way around.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Hi guys,

I wanted to clear up a few of the concerns on our new Eastwood welders.

1.These are NOT rebadged or rebranded welders made by another large company for us with our name on it.
-These welders we designed and tested in house here at Eastwood. They were designed to be EQUIVALENT to the Lincoln Mig Pak 10 (our 135) and the Mig Pak 15 (our 175). We oversaw every step of the production process to make sure these were designed to our specs and expectations. Our main concern is to give you a welder that is built to the same specs and quality as a industrial welder, but priced towards a serious hobbyist.
-We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company, like people seemed to be confused about. We didn't begin offering these for a "quick buck", in fact we are working on designing further products to add to our welding product line (can you say affordable TIG and Plasma cutters?)

2. Consumables- Our welders are made with a Tweco style gun (the same as most major companies including Lincoln use). Therefore all consumable parts (nozzle, tips, etc) are available at any local welding supply store. We are enthusiasts here ourselves, and we know the frustration of needing a part or supplies halfway through the job and not being able to get it! (for me this past weekend it was running out of mig wire at 5:30PM on a Sunday and realizing the only local "Farm" store that would have wire closed at 5 )

If you guys have any other questions or concerns feel free to ask me and I'll do my best to answer them!

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Eastwood
Hi guys, -We go so far as to back our welders with a 3 year warranty. That is backed by Eastwood Company, not by a 3rd party company,

***In fact I can offer anyone that is on the fence about one of our welders the chance to try it for 30 days with a hassle free return policy. Buy it, use it to weld your rusty project car, patch a frame on the same project, your sons go-kart, your fence in your yard, your neighbor's shed doors, whatever... If you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations (which I highly doubt!), than give us a call and we will be gladly take it back and refund your money.***

Hope that cleared up a few questions and concerns.

-Matt/EW

Advertising hype is one thing, and we see too much of that these days, but that sounds like a rock solid offer!

The "try it for 30 days" says a lot about the confidence you seem to have in this machine and I have to admit it is a very generous offer, how about the 3 year warranty? Three years is an excellent warranty on a machine for that price could you briefly go over what it covers?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

Sure no problem,

Eastwood MIG 135 and MIG 175 Welders warranty covers all components of the welders other than the normal wear items such as tips, nozzles, wire (don't try and pull the "oh my wire doesn't weld right it blows holes in everything I try to weld" change your settings!), and ground clamps. Otherwise all other components are covered by the warranty and will be repaired or replaced depending on the severity of the defect.

So if you have a capacitor or something that fries inside the welder for some odd reason, you would return the old one and we would send you a new welder, if the drive motor for the wire feed dies, you send it back, depending on what portion of it is bad, we fix or send you a new one. One of the knobs for the wire feed or voltage regulator goes bad? Send it back and we will repair/replace. etc, etc, etc.

So as I mentioned, we aren't trying to make a "quick buck" we plan to stand behind these products and have faith in the design and testing done on these proves they can stand the test of time.

Thanks again for the response!

-Matt/EW

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.