Eastwood's New Plasma Cutter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Eastwood's New Plasma Cutter

Group,

Looks like Eastwood has brought a plasma cutter to market. Anyone know anything about it as compared to other (miller, etc) entry level cutters?

Eastwood's Versa Cut Plasma Cutter
http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-plasma-cutter.html

Maybe Matt@Eastwood will chime in and give us the lowdown.

I might have to throw it on the birthday wishlist.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

Looks like China made LOTOS or SIMADRE.

About a year ago I won a "salvage" SIMADRE 25 plasma cutter on auction $90.00. The unit was new and only had a very simple problem. A wire was pulled off a connecter when the cover was assembled at the factory. I attached the wire and the machine ran.

For years I have used a Daytona Mig 25 plas-cutter for sheet metal work. It Works fine on stuff up to about 1/8" thick. But many years of shop use were showing. Consumables were getting hard to find

Back to the SIMADRE. My first look at it brought a "What a piece of $***** The paint was applied over a very rough piece (sandblasted) of sheet metal. The air fittings were crude..

Once I overcame the thought of throwing it out. I replaced the fittings, plugged it in and grabbed a piece of 1/8" sheet metal. As soon as I hit the button. All thoughts were reversed!! This thing is AMAZING!! Cuts like a terror. This was on 110 volts.. I then scrounged up an adapter and plugged it into 220. MAN what a cutter!!! Blows thru 3/8 with no problem.. But will it last?.

After 6 months use, I decided to try their larger Model 520D. Ebay $499.00 What a cutter!!. Cuts 5/8" steel brackets with no sweat. And the consumables are CHEAP to buy. Direct from the company in China in less than a week delivery. It took that long to get stuff from Datona Fla..

Will it prove durable? Time will tell. The small cutter is now at home and semi-retired. Still works like new..I think these cutters are the best bang for the buck..

EDIT; I forgot to mention the SIMADRE 520D is also equipped with a TIG torch and DC arc stick welder.. I just use the Plas-cutter tho.

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 02-09-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Profanity. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Last photo:

Hey guys, austincobra asked me to jump in and respond. I'll try and cover the concerns/questions.

The plasma is built at our established welding factory overseas, so yes it is a Chinese made unit. Our MIG welders are made at the same factory and you can search the net for feedback on the quality of our MIG welders. As with any of our products, we design, test, make tweaks, test some more, etc, before we even begin mass-producing these. This means that you get a product that has been put through the paces of "real car guys" before it gets put in your hands. We even had our prototype plasma cutter with a local restoration/custom shop and let them use and abuse it for a few months.. so we are confident it will hold up to most anything you throw at it (within it's capabilities of course). In fact we are offering a 3 year warranty on the product as with our welders.

In addition the consumables are the same common style parts available at any welding supply store.

Also I had some PM's on other forums about the switchable voltage thing. We are offering for FREE (which most charge for) an adapter plug/harness to go from 220V to 110V. The voltage switching is done internally, so all you need to do is plug the adapter in, and plug it into your normal 110V outlet if you don't have a 220V nearby. Here are some pictures of the harness I just ran out and snapped for you guys.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW
Old 02-09-2011, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

double post whoops!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Great info. I have two old stangs I'm restoring and while I have a Millermatic 175 love it, I just can't bring myself to spend $1200 or more on their SpectrumŽ 375 cutter.

Thanks Matt!
Old 02-13-2011, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Hello, what is the duty cycle rating and amps? I cannot find the specs anywhere online and also how much difference is there when you switch from 120v to 240v. I am considering buying a new plasma cutter but from what I have seen the harbour frieght plasma http://www.harborfreight.com/230-vol...lay-95136.html with the 40 amp@ 60 duty cycle seems better (with a similar price on sale).
Old 02-13-2011, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

Matt,
PM sent
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahb
Hello, what is the duty cycle rating and amps? I cannot find the specs anywhere online and also how much difference is there when you switch from 120v to 240v. I am considering buying a new plasma cutter but from what I have seen the harbour frieght plasma http://www.harborfreight.com/230-vol...lay-95136.html with the 40 amp@ 60 duty cycle seems better (with a similar price on sale).
Get a miller ,youll be sorry....
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM

Last photo:

Deadbodyman... For a hobby guy these are great cutters. I used mine in the shop and it is a powerful, reliable tool. Duty cycle is 60%. According to my SIMADRE owners manual.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:31 AM

What if it breaks down??? Where do you get parts and where do you find someone that'll work on them ?
Millers start around 5-600.00 and every part for it can be had at the local dealer ,down the road....in a few minutes....I'm not knocking Chinese tools, I have some.but when it comes to welders and plasma cutters it should say Miller or lincoln in big bold print on the side not made in China somewhere you'll need glasses to see, hobby or not.....its a lot of money to waste so do your homework and ask about repairs and parts before sending the money to China....
Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

Admitted, service could be a problem. There are two service places on the west coast and I'm sure that Eastwood has someone. So far I've had no problems. If I did, the low cost of the unit, I would simply get another. My last USA plasma cutter lasted over 20 years and the parts/service disappeared..
Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Thats my point Bob The Millers are about the same price ,right around 5-600,00 and Miller wont be going out of business any time soon .....They may move to China but they'll still be in business...
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahb
Our unit will operate on 110VAC which gives complete versatility, Other units that are only 220VAC limit you if you don't have constant, easy 220v access. I know for me, I'm not always working near the 220 outlet, and may have a parts car out in the driveway I need to cut patch panels off of.. instead of trying to push it into the garage, I can just one of the outside-110v outlets I have and cut with easer. The versatility to use it most anywhere is a huge aspect.

Our unit is a 60% duty cycle at 40 amps and will cut 3/8". Our unit is also 96 volt output . We have a 3 year no-hassle warranty. We will cover ANY issues you will have with the unit during that time period. We have no plans to abandon customers if they have issues. In fact, we are striving to reach out to customers with tech questions on our own tech forums, and other forums outside our realm such as these. We also have out tech-support line open that you can call and talk any questions or issues you have with any of our products. We are enthusiasts too, so we can relate to how frustrating it is to have a question, and not have someone to help solve or talk you through it.

Another feature to mention that is mostly only found in higher end units, is that our unit has a high frequency inverter and plasma ignition start which means you do not need to constantly touch the metal to initiate the plasma arc. This helps when cutting rusted materials (which you know most of our old restoration projects have a lot of!)

Again, I am happy to answer questions about this unit. As with our welders, most times people that are talking negatively about them have little-to-no experience with our actual welder or Eastwood as a company. We haven't built our business on abandoning customers..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
What if it breaks down??? Where do you get parts and where do you find someone that'll work on them ? its a lot of money to waste so do your homework and ask about repairs and parts before sending the money to China....
As mentioned above, we have a 3 year warranty where we will gladly repair or replace your unit with essentially no questions asked. We want to make sure you can keep working. Because of this, we will do our best to take care of any warranty issues ASAP. The consumables are similar to any of the top brands, and are available at any local welding supply store (I just had to go buy extra nozzles this weekend and my local welding supply store).

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
... and Miller wont be going out of business any time soon .....They may move to China but they'll still be in business...
I'm not sure if you are familiar.. but Eastwood has been around for over 25 years in the restoration parts, tools, and supplies business.. we aren't going anywhere. So that comment is quite invalid. We are striving to constantly bring affordable solutions to help make jobs easier, quicker, and more affordable to the DIY guy like you and I.

In Fact- If anyone has any reservations about trying out Plasma out. What I can offer is to try if for 30 days.. use it. abuse it. If you hate it for any reason, or it doesn't meet your expectations, return it for a refund with no hassle. We have tested and tuned these to be very nice units, and equal the quality and capabilities of the leaders in the industry.

Hope that helps/answers some questions, and as always, feel free to PM me directly if you have any questions or concerns.

-Matt/EW
Old 02-14-2011, 11:12 AM
boatbob2

Matt Eastwood....

Hi,if Matt says use the plasma cutter for 30 days and if you dont like it,return it fior a refund,take that to the bank,Matt has always been straight with me,so i have no doubt he will continue to back all of his products. i DO NOT buy ANYTHING electric from HARBOR FREIGHT PERIOD,,,.,
Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

I really want to try a Chinese plasma cutter actually, preferably one of those 3 in ones.. And not to be a doubter, but I somehow doubt these Eastwood ones are made specifically for them. Maybe they throw the specific decal on, or change the colour, but that's about all I can really see happening.

As for service, for a $300 chinese plasma cutter,I'm willing to buy a schematic, and buy electronics for it at the local store.

Tags
eastwood, plasma cutter

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.