Eastwood's Rubberized HUMAN coating gun. WATCH OUT - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 07:33 PM
Crap, hand me the grinder!

Last journal entry: Back on track
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Eastwood's Rubberized HUMAN coating gun. WATCH OUT

I'm gonna gripe again. I bought an undercoating gun from Eastwood about 2 and a half weeks ago. Prior to this I had pressure washed and sandblasted the undercarriage of my car. I got about half way through before the undercoating gun "blew up". The trigger mechanism, which consists of a bushing, a pin, and a gasket, basically ripped itself out of the gun. The threads on the gun housing were completely stripped off and so were the threads on the bushing. It wasn't overpressured either, I had a regulator on the gun set @ 65 psi, the recommended pressure. I'll sum up, Called Eastwood, replaced gun completely( Good, Good) arrived about a week later. Put it together, and this one blew up too, except this time it sounded like an internal spring inside the gun. It actually sounded like it was broken before I even used it, but I'd put off undercoating for as long as I wanted, so I figured I'd risk it. I pressed the trigger and (I can laugh about it now) undercoating started spraying, not from the nozzle but from the vent hole on the top of the undercoating gun. I couldn't turn it off either, cause the trigger mechanism had broke, so I had to pull the air line off. In 10 seconds time I was pretty much covered in undercoating.

I'm sure Eastwood makes some good stuff, but as far as I'm concerned they couldn't make an undercoating gun to save their lives. If you got one that works consider yourself lucky.

Just a heads up if your in the market,
Pencilneck

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 04:11 AM

Last photo:

Eastwood did not make this gun.

These undercoating type guns are mostly made in china, twain,and Brazil. Usually they perform pretty good.
How ever you were the lucky one to get a defect and normally
the type of defect you encountered will show up in the whole batch witch could be 5,000 -50,000.
I import a special gun from Italy and my agreement is I get the first gun out of batch to try before rest is shipped but this is time consuming and most of the manufacturers overseas don't want to tie up inventory or waste time doing this, so protocol is with most of these places is we make and we ship and good luck.
So it was kinda out of Eastwood's control on this deal.
By the way the cheap copy paint guns is the same deal, one batch may spray better than a $600 gun next batch may only be good for primer or just spray so-so.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

Yep, you got it

Yeah, it's got china stamped all over the gun, but Eastwood advertises it as Eastwood's gun. If it said "Dim-Sums Undercoating Gun" I would be less critical, but when you purchase the rights to sell a gun under your name, you're taking responsiblility for the construction and the quality. I can't deny that they've tried to correct the error by sending me another gun, but it's the extreme poor quality that really disappoints me, and Eastwood isn't (as far as I'm concerned) a relatively cheap brand to buy. If I find an alternative supplier I'll be sure and post it here.

Thanks for the response,
Pencilneck
Old 06-19-2004, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

You can order these guns with your name on it if you want.(just got to buy enough) Last I knew (3-4) years ago all Eastwood was was a reseller.
Kinda like paint strippers lots of labels but few and getting fewer
makers of it. In aviation there are more choices and more manufacturers.
In auto refinish market Kleen strip makes most of the different labels.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

I wouldn't put my name on it. Das de point

My point is they should be more careful with what they put their name on, if the gun is so poorly constructed. It's like pulling teeth with you, Barry. They may not make it, but the fact that they sell it and put their name on it, pretty much makes them to liable, wouldn't you say? Hung-Lo put it together, but Eastwood has made the decision to market and sell this product as their own. My only point was that anyone thinking of purchasing this item should consider this thread as a warning that they may have problems with the gun. Let me clarify, anyone purchasing this gun from Eastwood or any other reseller that distributes this type of gun.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...dercoating+gun

Whew, I hope this is accurate enough.
Pencilneck

P.S. - I promise to forward all my posts to Barry for a thorough proofreading
Old 06-19-2004, 04:10 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

You are right, poor quality control on their part. If they are going to put their name on the box it arrives in then it is representing Eastwood (in a small way) to the person who buys it. Thanks for the warning.
Old 06-19-2004, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Re: I wouldn't put my name on it. Das de point

Quote:
Originally posted by Pencilneck314
My point is they should be more careful with what they put their name on, if the gun is so poorly constructed. It's like pulling teeth with you, Barry. They may not make it, but the fact that they sell it and put their name on it, pretty much makes them to liable, wouldn't you say? Hung-Lo put it together, but Eastwood has made the decision to market and sell this product as their own. My only point was that anyone thinking of purchasing this item should consider this thread as a warning that they may have problems with the gun. Let me clarify, anyone purchasing this gun from Eastwood or any other reseller that distributes this type of gun.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...dercoating+gun

Whew, I hope this is accurate enough.
Pencilneck

P.S. - I promise to forward all my posts to Barry for a thorough proofreading
==============================================

Damn!
I'm on your side on this! Thats why I pointed out they are a PRIVATE labeler--NO control and HIGH prices!

There is so much of this in this business, print a label and plaster it on something and take a chance it flys.

Thats why I laugh when I see this rust converter is better than this one and only difference is a dye and smell additive-and same for paint stripper.

I have always said I could write a flyer on lacquer primer AND NOT TELL ONE LIE and when you read it you would never use 2K primer again! Its what I DON'T tell you. Very common in this industry..

I know manufacturing in this industry and all the dirty secrets as it comes up I will point them out if I feel it will help anyone on here.

Last edited by BarryK; 06-19-2004 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:21 PM

Last photo:

Foot in mouth disease

I got it bad. sorry.
Old 06-20-2004, 03:48 PM

I hear where you're coming from Pencilneck. I've ordered from Eastwood's a few times with mixed results. The worst was probably 10+ years ago with their spot welder. It was a gun you could use with an arc welder to weld body panels before mig welders were available at a reasonable price. The thing was mostly plastic and I'm sure you can guess the results. Other times I've ordered I recieved descent quality. What bothers me is that Eastwood charges a descent price so you should get quality everytime.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:56 PM

Last photo:

Amen

Yeah, their prices aren't at the low end. I just found some undercoating guns from, where else, harbor frieght for 7 bucks a piece. So naturally, I bought 2. If these guns collectively last longer than 3, 28 oz. cans of rubberized undercoating than they'll have outlasted the 2 eastwood guns that cost me 45 bucks each.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.