Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Eaton Compressor Pump & Motor Made in China?
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Red,

It becomes increasing hard for companies not to move their manufacturing to low cost sites like China. China today manufactures 50% of the world's products and over 70% of the world's computers which is significant since they have no major automobile production - as yet.

In the 50's, products made in Japan had the same junk reputation as products made in China in the late 90's. During the 70's and 80's the Japanese basically redefined quality and cost effectiveness in manufacturing. Today the Japanese are moving much of their production - and manufacturing expertise to lower labor cost countries such as China.

If the Japanese have taught us anything it is that the quality of what is made depends highly upon how the product is designed and specified by the company and not so much the abilities of the work force - actually an idea that was pioneered by Henry Ford with the Model T.

Back on topic, Quincy has a long standing reputation for quality and cost effectiveness. My guess is that their manufacturing facility for rotary screw compressors in China is their first step in learning how to work with the Chinese. I have no doubt that the quality of the compressors that they will manufacture in China will be the same or better than what they manufacture in the USA.

The USA lost it's hold on manufacturing 30 years ago and is in the process of losing its lead in science, engineering and design. The scary part of all of this is that the Chinese are now ahead of the USA in patent filings and their children are better educated in math, physics and science.

I would love to see the two presidential canidates discuss and debate this issue. It is clear to many of us, that the current course our country is on, is not working.