Eaton Compressor Pump & Motor Made in China? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc1
. What about that super highway right through the middle of the country? Anybody heard of that? So the boats can be unloaded with out unions and trucks can be driven right through the middle of the country to canada.
that is scary too. Can someone say "Hola Illegal Immigrants to Amerika?"

You could load 'em in crates, put them in the bottom of a fruit truck, and cover with apples, and nobody would ever know of the human smuggling operation.
see link here
don't you love your cheap labor too?

edit: I hate to politicize (hijack, really... ) this thread...

Advertisement

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 10-27-2007 at 09:38 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2007, 08:31 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have to agree that the USA has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs to overseas companies, but you should not be surprised. How many of you have told your kids that they should study hard at school so they can grow up and work in a manufacturing plant, making compressor parts? Most parents tell their kids to go to school, study hard so they can get in a good college so they can get a high paying job. Not many of those jobs are manufacturing things like compressors or hand tools.

Aaron
Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

I was all set to buy a Eaton since I could drive to the plant and pick it up. UNTIL I read about the China Pump....

I bought a Champion instead....
Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

I think the Champion is imported too but if I am right I think is from Australia.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtkart
I have to agree that the USA has lost a lot of manufacturing jobs to overseas companies, but you should not be surprised. How many of you have told your kids that they should study hard at school so they can grow up and work in a manufacturing plant, making compressor parts? Most parents tell their kids to go to school, study hard so they can get in a good college so they can get a high paying job. Not many of those jobs are manufacturing things like compressors or hand tools.

Aaron
Yes this is true, but not everybody is cut out for college. That was not a problem in the past, you just got a good paying job in manufacturing or some type of trade and you would be fine. If those jobs all go overseas what are the non college kids supposed to do? I know go make $8/hr with no benefits at Chinafart (nice American lifestyle)
Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 AM

BTW I really like my new Eaton compressor it is not your typical cheep Chinese tool. This thing is a beast, all that I wanted except where some of the parts were made. I would not stray from buying an Eaton because of the China stuff unless you were 100% sure the one replacing it was in fact USA made.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:19 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Yes this is true, but not everybody is cut out for college. That was not a problem in the past, you just got a good paying job in manufacturing or some type of trade and you would be fine.
When and where was this? In this day of people having TV sets in every room, everyone having a cell phone on their hip, and computer networks in their home, how many would take a job in manufacturing? How much do you think that you could make, and have the product affordable to normal people?

You have to consider that in the days when I was young, we had very few extras at home. Most homes only had one phone in the house, a TV set in the livingroom for the family to watch, and no cable TV. Unless you were in a union job, most manufacturing jobs paid squat. If you were a union worker, there was a good chance that you were on strike every couple of years. That strike often effected both wage earners in the family. I saw many friends that worried that they would loose their homes when their parents were on strike. OH THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

If you really want to spend the money for a compressor made in the USA, be willing to spend a lot more money. Everyone wants higher pay, and also a lot of benefits, so that costs a lot of money. I may be able to set you up with one of the average home size for about $5000+.

Aaron
Old 11-10-2007, 10:16 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaahemifan
I was all set to buy a Eaton since I could drive to the plant and pick it up. UNTIL I read about the China Pump....

I bought a Champion instead....
What kind of warranty does it have, and what country do you have to ship it to to get it repaired? Did you ask them where their pump is made at? Unless you paid about 4 times as much, I can almost guarantee it was not made here. Even if you did pay that, it most likely was made overseas somewhere.

Eaton carries a 5 year warranty on their compressors, and will tell you where they are made! They do have their pumps and motors built in China for them. They also make a lot of the stuff for the compressors right in the USA. They employ a lot of people here for that reason. If you think that the other compressors are all made in the USA, you are most likely wrong. It may take some doing to find out for sure where their stuff is made, but Eaton will tell you where their stuff comes from if you ask.

If you feel like you got a better deal than what Eaton was offering, then great. I like my Eaton pump on my compressor. I also like the fact that I can pick up the phone and call Mat Cain at Eaton, or send them an e-mail, if I have a problem with it.

Aaron
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyc1
I say dump NAFTA too! What a load of crap. Remember who signed this and brought to fruition.
NAFTA shaftya?

politicians... think they know better...
Old 08-26-2008, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

Since this thread has been resurrected maybe this info should be included.

Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post
Old 08-27-2008, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

You can have a made in the USA compressor at a decent price. Northern Tool has started carrying Quincy air compressors now. These big ole' Quincy's have Baldor motors and large slow turning pumps and IMHO are simply unbeatable for dependability.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

$1250 will get you a 100% duty cycle 2 stage 4 cylinder cast iron pump on a 60 gal vertical tank coupled to a 5 HP BALDOR motor. That's true HP and the dang thing is rated at 40 AMPs!

Last edited by oldred; 08-28-2008 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:

Things that make you go hummmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
You can have a made in the USA compressor at a decent price. Northern Tool has started carrying Quincy air compressors now. These big ole' Quincy's have Baldor motors and large slow turning pumps and IMHO are simply unbeatable for dependability.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

$1250 will get you a 100% duty cycle 2 stage 4 cylinder cast iron pump on a 60 gal vertical tank coupled to a 5 HP BALDOR motor. That's true HP and the dang thing is rated at 40 AMPs!
Quincy has a fairly large plant in China and offers it's website in both Chinese and Spanish....

hummmm.....
Old 08-28-2008, 05:44 PM

Last photo:

You are right and apparently these pumps are also made in China although I have found nothing as yet to confirm that. Since I made that post I have done a bit of searching because even though they have the prominently displayed "Made in USA" logo in their ads those pumps are not the same design as the old ones I worked with for so many years and I could not help but wonder why all of a sudden they were so competitively priced. My personal Quincy compressor has served me well for many years, has been mounted on several different tanks and been powered by at least 3 different motors. I made my living using this thing when I started and I still have it, it was built in 1968 and it has never been overhauled but it still works great! I sent Quincy an E-mail about the origin of the pumps so maybe we will find out soon enough if they are Chinese imports wearing a made in USA label, I probably should have researched this better before making that post.

-Edit-

According to their website they have sales and service facilities in China but no manufacturing facilities for reciprocating compressors. They do however have a small joint venture, as of 2004, that manufacturers some parts in China for rotary screw compressors. As of right now, and I hope to learn more from my inquiry, it looks as if they are indeed still built in Illinois and Alabama!

Last edited by oldred; 08-28-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:

Red,

It becomes increasing hard for companies not to move their manufacturing to low cost sites like China. China today manufactures 50% of the world's products and over 70% of the world's computers which is significant since they have no major automobile production - as yet.

In the 50's, products made in Japan had the same junk reputation as products made in China in the late 90's. During the 70's and 80's the Japanese basically redefined quality and cost effectiveness in manufacturing. Today the Japanese are moving much of their production - and manufacturing expertise to lower labor cost countries such as China.

If the Japanese have taught us anything it is that the quality of what is made depends highly upon how the product is designed and specified by the company and not so much the abilities of the work force - actually an idea that was pioneered by Henry Ford with the Model T.

Back on topic, Quincy has a long standing reputation for quality and cost effectiveness. My guess is that their manufacturing facility for rotary screw compressors in China is their first step in learning how to work with the Chinese. I have no doubt that the quality of the compressors that they will manufacture in China will be the same or better than what they manufacture in the USA.

The USA lost it's hold on manufacturing 30 years ago and is in the process of losing its lead in science, engineering and design. The scary part of all of this is that the Chinese are now ahead of the USA in patent filings and their children are better educated in math, physics and science.

I would love to see the two presidential canidates discuss and debate this issue. It is clear to many of us, that the current course our country is on, is not working.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad_AZ
The USA lost it's hold on manufacturing 30 years ago and is in the process of losing its lead in science, engineering and design. The scary part of all of this is that the Chinese are now ahead of the USA in patent filings and their children are better educated in math, physics and science.

You don't even want to get me started on the education issue! In the area where I live the only things they teach are basketball and pot 101! My children were home schooled up through high school and my son now is a computer systems tech (absolutely none of which has rubbed off on me however) for a medical supplies manufacturer and my daughter is in med school. If we had of sent them to the school system I shudder to think how different it might have been.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.