Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 10:50 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodz428
I looked at a Sears drill press I took in as a trade for some labor about ten years ago, he'd had it for probably ten, and it is made in Taiwan...that is Formosa...or Nationalist China, now part of mainland China...so even the Sears brand has had tools made elsewhere for at least 20 years.

Yep, I recently needed a new hack saw. Bought a Craftsman that I saw the "USA" logo on. Better read the package closer, it was packaged in the U.S., but made in China....

In a while, Chet.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have rebuilt many many Eaton superchargers and the bearings say Made in Japan...... To me that's not made in America.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Eschew Cowards

Greetings and salutations from the one and only Franzę.

Since Matt of Eaton Scumball Compressors wants to get into the litigation arena, I'd love it if he grew enough of a set to include me as a defendant. For Matt's convenience, my locus is Western District of NY.

I have been saying for a number of years that Eaton Compressors are JUNK constructed in a storage locker from cheap castings and components imported to the United States by a crew of amatures. Feel free to check archived posts on welding sites.

Naming the company Eaton was a cheap attempt to leach from the reputation of Eaton, the company that manufactures real truck components, and Matt did it purposely for that reason.

Eaton compressor employs a very skilled advertising writer to gloss over facts, and misdirect facts to their companies products.

Let me state it clearly beyond any possibility of confusion. I wouldn't buy an Eaton Compressor if it meant I had to use a bicycle pump to inflate 18 tires on a tractortrailer. Eaton Compressors are foreigh reprocessed scrap metal cast into molds with dubious design origin.

Matt diesn't know his glutius maximus from a hole in the wall about compressed air, or air compressors. He exists from the ignorance of his customers.

Comon Matt, have your halfassed lawyer send me a summons.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzę
Greetings and salutations from the one and only Franzę.

Since Matt of Eaton Scumball Compressors wants to get into the litigation arena, I'd love it if he grew enough of a set to include me as a defendant. For Matt's convenience, my locus is Western District of NY.

I have been saying for a number of years that Eaton Compressors are JUNK constructed in a storage locker from cheap castings and components imported to the United States by a crew of amatures. Feel free to check archived posts on welding sites.

Naming the company Eaton was a cheap attempt to leach from the reputation of Eaton, the company that manufactures real truck components, and Matt did it purposely for that reason.

Eaton compressor employs a very skilled advertising writer to gloss over facts, and misdirect facts to their companies products.

Let me state it clearly beyond any possibility of confusion. I wouldn't buy an Eaton Compressor if it meant I had to use a bicycle pump to inflate 18 tires on a tractortrailer. Eaton Compressors are foreigh reprocessed scrap metal cast into molds with dubious design origin.

Matt diesn't know his glutius maximus from a hole in the wall about compressed air, or air compressors. He exists from the ignorance of his customers.

Comon Matt, have your halfassed lawyer send me a summons.

I don't know what your personal beef is with Eaton and I have to agree with you on most points however if you want to make a credible point and be taken seriously you need to be fair otherwise you will simply be taken as a "mudslinger".

Personally after what he did and is trying to do I have no more use for Matt Cain or Eaton compressors and I will always try and discourage anyone from buying one because of his very questionable actions, but not because of the compressor itself. I will agree that it looks as if they may have tried to capitalize on the Eaton name but they would have a good argument that naming a company for the town or city they are located in is an extremely common practice and they made no other effort to connect themselves to Eaton corp. As far as the product itself the fact is, for an import, these are not bad outfits and they have developed a good reputation and Eaton does offer decent service to their customers. These compressors are definitely overbuilt in that, compared to most imports, they are big heavy pumps powered by large powerful motors that can produce a lot of air at slow speeds allowing for a very quiet, cool running and long lasting compressor. Most other imports use cheap tiny Aluminum pumps turning at much higher speed and powered by smaller motors that also (usually) run at twice the speed. You also state that Matt does not know much about compressors (I assume that's what you meant) but the fact is that their website offers more real usable information than any other place I have seen. Eaton makes honest no-nonsense performance claims which is the complete opposite of most import outfits who exaggerate HP and CFM numbers to the point they have been successfully sued in court for falsely representing their compressors' capabilities. While the vast majority of the import compressors used (still do to a point) ridiculously inflated performance numbers and huge uselessly oversized tanks to create an ILLUSION of performance they are in fact small underpowered units that run very hot and struggle to keep up.

All this may seem like I am promoting Eaton and I have to admit I was at one time impressed with them but nothing excuses their behavior IMO and I would never buy anything from them or recommend anyone else buy from them. Any company that would threaten a customer for simply discussing information that they themselves provided is not someone I would do business with. There are other compressors on the market in the same price range that are excellent performers and have been in the business for many years, Quincy (made in USA) and Ingersoll Rand (most models are American built) are a couple that come to mind but there are others. These companies offer compressors that will perform every bit as good or better than the Eaton outfits and at a comparable price and you will not have to worry about being threatened for simply discussing them!
Old 04-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
I don't know what your personal beef is with Eaton and I have to agree with you on most points however if you want to make a credible point and be taken seriously you need to be fair otherwise you will simply be taken as a "mudslinger".

Quincy (made in USA) and Ingersoll Rand (most models are American built) are a couple that come to mind but there are others. These companies offer compressors that will perform every bit as good or better than the Eaton outfits and at a comparable price and you will not have to worry about being threatened for simply discussing them!
I admit to mudslinging about Chinese and foregin stuff... it's true a lot of their products are inferior to American goods, made by folks like you and I, but a lot of it is patriotism and trying to instill a 'buy american' attitude amongst others in efforts to save our industries. Anyway...

I think a lot of the blue IR compressors (look a lot like the smaller craftsman and others...) are chinese compressors and mexican motors. The larger ones are American, but I am unsure about the motor. All else fails, get an oldie. If used by a hobbyist, they're still young, and if used by a commercial shop, they're still not that used up, and if they are (like in a body shop) then they're usually rebuildable.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4
I have rebuilt many many Eaton superchargers and the bearings say Made in Japan...... To me that's not made in America.
At least Japan has high manufacturing standards and a lot less slave labor than China. Look at Honda engines... they last forever.. just like a briggs lol. I do like the engineering they put into Honda, such as the cooling fins on the lower part of the block and some other features, but this isn't about engines, so this engine talk is over...

...until I take another thread off topic.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 AM
Eschew Cowards

Lets begin with IR; back in the 70s IR made it clear th the union workers in Painted Post NY what had to happen if the Union wanted the jobs to stay in that plant. Instead of working with IR, which well might have meant more jobs in NY in the next decade, the union chose to demonstrate its power. IR moved all nonindustrial compressor production to Mexico, including a lot of airtools.

The basic manufacture jobs that remained in the US in the 70s were in large part chased out by a brilliant alliance between OSHA, EPA and Unions. I watched a lot of my customers say the hell with it and walk away from what had been moneymaking businesses.

The purpose of any business endevor is to make at a minimum sufficient profit to remain in business, and that possibility went downhill quickly in the 1980s.

My argument with Eaton Compressor has nothing to do with the "patriotism" of buying American Made. I don't give a damn where something is made, I want a quality product, and I will expose dirty dealings and lousey quality whenever I can.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:46 AM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

To the top

I was looking up info for compressors for a guy on another forum and found this.. truly sad
Old 11-05-2009, 02:39 PM

I'm not really getting this disscussion? I just ordered an eaton pump for my five year old craftsman 80 gallon unit. Yes the pumps are made over seas, but thats about it. I could have ordered the same crappy pump from sears for $650, and had it last maybe another 2 years. The previous 5 years was in a home garage (light use) and now I use it for hours everyday. I have never been able to find one bad review of one of their pumps, and the way they treat their customers is unmatched by anyone I've run across. I'll see how it does, but in even if it craps out the day after the warranty goes out, I still got a deal. It would be nice to have an extra grand so I could buy a new pump that had our flag on it, but until the unions no longer run the show in manufacturing we are going to have companies going overseas. Frankly they deserve it for being so greedy. No one at Eaton tries to hide where the pumps are made, but maybe they would like control over how that fact is presented. If someone was trying to give my company a bad image, I might threaten a little too. I can tell you the truth about a product of mine, and cast it in a positive light, whereas someone else could say the same thing, but make it a negative fact. I will post a review of the pump after I run it for a while, but I have a feeling I wont be able to tell where the pump was made by using it. I say let the company shape their own image with the reputation that they have created with their products and service, and if the product is crap then bash'em.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I dont understand....If the motor and the pump are made in China How do they figure 60% is made here? Thats about 80% of any compressor,unless they are going by weight and use a very heavy tank. The guy even looks like a Deceiving,conniving, A hole.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by millercustomfab
I'm not really getting this disscussion? I just ordered an eaton pump for my five year old craftsman 80 gallon unit. Yes the pumps are made over seas, but thats about it. I could have ordered the same crappy pump from sears for $650, and had it last maybe another 2 years. The previous 5 years was in a home garage (light use) and now I use it for hours everyday. I have never been able to find one bad review of one of their pumps, and the way they treat their customers is unmatched by anyone I've run across. I'll see how it does, but in even if it craps out the day after the warranty goes out, I still got a deal. It would be nice to have an extra grand so I could buy a new pump that had our flag on it, but until the unions no longer run the show in manufacturing we are going to have companies going overseas. Frankly they deserve it for being so greedy. No one at Eaton tries to hide where the pumps are made, but maybe they would like control over how that fact is presented. If someone was trying to give my company a bad image, I might threaten a little too. I can tell you the truth about a product of mine, and cast it in a positive light, whereas someone else could say the same thing, but make it a negative fact. I will post a review of the pump after I run it for a while, but I have a feeling I wont be able to tell where the pump was made by using it. I say let the company shape their own image with the reputation that they have created with their products and service, and if the product is crap then bash'em.

You don't get this discussion? No one is bad-mouthing the quality of Eaton products but if you can't see anything wrong with suing someone for just talking about where the things are from then there is no sense trying to explain it to you!

["If someone was trying to give my company a bad image, I might threaten a little too"]

Are you for real? A guy mentions that Eaton told him their pumps were from China after he pressed them on it, he then comes here and asks if anyone here has heard the same thing and Eaton tries to use the courts to silence both him and this site to hide the fact that their compressors are from China and you see nothing wrong with that? Sure they freely admit it now and did not deny it before but obviously they got upset when it became a topic on the net. If that kind of thing is alright with you then there is no hope of explaining anything to you, besides no one is telling you or anyone else not to buy from them we just want everyone to know what kind of questionable practices they are willing to stoop to.

Last edited by oldred; 11-06-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

So...If they're made with cheap Chinese labor, has the cost gone down too? or are they just slapping an American name on it and screwing us loyal customers that got them where they are? I'd be a little peed off if I invested in major piece of equipment thinking it was made in america and it wasnt.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

no thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by khgjryg
The compressor "[URL=http://************[/URL]" is high quality with a low price.
meiyou ganxie, amigo (pardon me if my Chinese isn't perfect...its been twenty five years since I last used it)

Last edited by poncho62; 05-28-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Other.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 AM

adder to Eaton compressor issue

I have been in the air compressor business for 25 years and my father has been in the business(he's retired now) since 1952. I recently got a call from one of my customers who has an Eaton "Freight Train" 25 HP compressor. The compressor, by the way, is a chinese knockoff of a Saylor Beale.

My customer said his compressor would not run and the flywheel came off. I sent my tech out thinking that the flywheel came loose or the crank snapped. Nope, the spokes of the flywheel snapped. I checked with my father and he swears he never saw this happen before and he's seen literally thousands of service calls in his career.

That says a lot about the quality of their chinese compressor heads.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:05 AM

Wow,I never heard anything like that either ...I had an upright fall over once and bend the crank ,the flywheel was ok....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.