Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My apologies to Eaton Corporation, I will hang on to their stock. Have to investigate if I have some of the "psychopathic management" Eaton Compressor stock.

Seems to be a rather common malady these days for upper management to act like criminals, left my last job for just this very reason.

Eaton Compressor's new building in Ohio - more controversy.

The above posting is definitely a must read! Page three is where it gets juicy.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I would suspect Mr. Cain will be logging in soon. Based on his posts on the Ohio site, he has no problem expressing himself on a public forum.

Hopefully he will come on board and give us the truth about which components are made in China or elsewhere.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
We need to find out what components are made in China, so maybe we can debunk the 60% rule. Find out if the major components come from outside the USA.

Jason

This may have been discussed here already I skipped a few posts on my way out the door this morning. But I wonder if the "60%" rule is based on a componant count, so if 60% of the componants are made here, it is American. Or if there is some "60%" of the weight, or "area" of the componants?

It could be that it "was" the "Componants" and they argued that the biggest part of the compressor, say the tank, is made here then they should be given a pass and make it "American Made"?

Just thinking....

Brian
Old 08-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I read the FTC Compliance ruling and I did not see where it stated 60% is the cut off.
From the link:
Traditionally, the Commission has required that a product advertised as Made in USA be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. After a comprehensive review of Made in USA and other U.S. origin claims in product advertising and labeling, the Commission announced in December 1997 that it would retain the "all or virtually all" standard.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

I didn't see the "60%" figure on the FTC page either. Interestingly, the page does use a "60% US content" label as an example of a qualified "Made in the USA" claim.

It appears to not be a concretely-defined bright-line rule, which means that a resourceful lawyer will be able to make use of a lot of wiggle room in defending a product as "Made in the USA".

Mr. Cain told me that the percentage is calculated as part of the total cost of bringing a product to market, including things like, say, the cost of advertising the product. By this logic (and no, I don't consider Mr. Cain to be credible, honest, or logical), you could conceivably have a product that is 100% manufactured in China, but whose total cost includes promotional and advertising costs that comprise, say, 65% of the full cost of bringing the product to the market. By that reasoning, a product could actually be 100% "manufactured" in China, but, because of creative percentage-calculation, it could be marketed as "Made in the USA". It's because of how they're spinning the word "made".

I suspect that any "Made in the USA" claims that are challenged by the federal government are interpreted differently on a district-to-district basis, and you'd probably have to talk to a lawyer who specializes in such issues to get an idea of how it really plays out.

I must admit that, prior to this run-in with Cain and his lawyer, I naively assumed that a "Made in the USA" label meant something that, apparently, it does not.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Lost in the 60's

How does assembled in USA with parts manfactured in China measure up?
Old 08-25-2008, 10:22 AM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
How does assembled in USA with parts manfactured in China measure up?
Henry,

You ever buy something from IKEA?

That's how.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Bum

Read this

http://scrantonpoliticaltimes.active...picID=20092071

Quote:
Scranton city Councilwoman Judy Gatelli

City Councilwoman Judy Gatelli can't force Joseph Pilchesky to name users of his Web site unless she is able to prove she was defamed, an attorney for the anonymous online commenters argued this morning in Lackawanna County Court.

The hearing was a continuation of a lawsuit that began more than a year ago between Mrs. Gatelli and Mr. Pilchesky, who moderates a Web site often critical of City Hall and Mayor Chris Doherty's administration.

After Mr. Pilchesky filed a defamation suit against Mrs. Gatelli in April 2007, the councilwoman countered with a suit of her own and demanded him to reveal identities of posters so she could bring civil action against them as well.

Last edited by Jon; 08-25-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:46 AM
Lost in the 60's

SixPack...Please read the Hotrodders guidelines ( http://www.hotrodders.com/help/board/copy-pasting.html )on copy pasteing...its not allowed you can post a link however. And...it was a good read.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM

SixPackR/T -- good find, I've "snippeted" the text in your post, and kept the link intact so people can read the full story.

I've also just sent an email to Mr. Cain and his lawyer, Richard Miller, formally inviting them to participate in this discussion. I think they should get an opportunity to offer an explanation, before we put this on the front page of Hotrodders.com. I just checked Google, and searches for "Balyeat, Leahy, Daley, & Miller" (the name of Mr. Cain's lawyer's law firm) are turning up this discussion in the #3 position today.

HH -- no idea how that one measures up. I imagine it's quite complicated, and we'd probably need an experienced lawyer to break it down for us. If anything, this issue has demonstrated what we don't know, and it's reinforced what is emerging as a Golden Rule for us: "Never trust a marketer".
Old 08-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
Sounds to me like this guy and StreetBeastOpsMan could be twins. They both like to threaten legal action and they both act like they have an IQ in single digits. Go figure.....
You just had to drag him in on this one...
Makes me wonder what kind of Compressor SB uses though. The old "Birds of a feather"...

Keep us posted Jon.
On another note I bought something from Edlebrock, the box says "Made in the USA" Inside the fuel pump had a Made In China sticker on it.
Maybe the box was made in the US?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:43 PM

Last journal entry: Test Entry
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I just checked Google, and searches for "Balyeat, Leahy, Daley, & Miller" (the name of Mr. Cain's lawyer's law firm) are turning up this discussion in the #3 position today.
What is the purpose of pointing out this fact?

Enquiring minds...

Jay K.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGK95
What is the purpose of pointing out this fact?

Enquiring minds...

Jay K.
Posted it to demonstrate that this issue isn't being "buried", simply because the mainstream press isn't covering it. We have a voice, our voice is being heard, and it's bringing attention to the fact that those involved in this debacle (including Mr. Cain and his lawyer) are being called to task for their actions.

Mr. Cain initiated these threats because our discussion of Eaton compressors was turning up #3 in Google for searches for "Eaton compressor". In a fitting stroke of irony, the law firm whose lawyer is backing Eaton is now in the exact same position.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Grrrrrrreat - another good name appears to be headed to China and some more Harbor Freight quality junk hitting the market as Made in USA.

Heck - the presumptive Democrat Party candidate even says that China is doing better then the US : http://hotair.com/archives/2008/08/2...o-do-business/

View the You Tube clip enclosed on that site - this man has not a clue

So with that said, we absolutely should buy Made in China products, even Eaton compressors, especially since this was uttered by such an august individual (is this what he means by 'change')

Dave W
Old 08-26-2008, 07:13 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41willys
We need to find out what components are made in China, so maybe we can debunk the 60% rule. Find out if the major components come from outside the USA.

Jason
Ditto. I prefer American made products to help keep the jobs that are left here, here, regardless of the quality of the Chinese product. I feel it's my patriotic duty But, I won't consider buying an Eaton Compressor (appears different than the Eaton supercharger compressors) anytime for both the china thing, and for being another Corky Coker.
Attached Images

Last edited by ChevelleSS_LS6; 08-26-2008 at 07:21 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.