Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

...split off JGK95's questions about my personal life into a new thread in the Lounge. Not really sure what the agenda there is.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
I prefer American made products to help keep the jobs that are left here.... I feel it's my patriotic duty...
But how would you know? One of the real assets of this thread is that it points out the sham of the current "Made in the USA" label. Apparently it means nothing at all...and outfits like Eaton can twist it around to qualify virtually any product, and get away with it.

The REAL culprit here is the administrators of our federal agencies who have decided to allow this to happen. The losers are those companies that DO want to keep the jobs here at home and are willing to make a 100% pure American product. But because the federal government allows companies to dilute the "Made in the USA" claim...the consumer no longer has any idea which companies to support and which ones to pass over. If Eaton is duping us with a phony "Made in the US" label, how many other companies are doing the same?
Old 08-26-2008, 10:06 PM
boatbob2

compressors made in china....

Tell Mr Cain,IF,his compressor or parts are made in China,to come to North Florda and bite me on the C--K....
Old 08-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ownerT
I am not being a smart arse, but what is the point?

My point is that the Big 3 have exported jobs, cut costs of production by substituting plastic for steel, foam, and vinyl. (interior trim, bumpers, mouldings, wheel covers... etc)

But I don't see any labor/material savings being passed on to the consumer.

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of replacement parts are being assembled, at least ... if not manufactured, off-shore. It's GOTTA be a whole lot cheaper in labor, or they wouldn't be shipping that stuff across the pond on cargo ships.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
But how would you know? One of the real assets of this thread is that it points out the sham of the current "Made in the USA" label. Apparently it means nothing at all...and outfits like Eaton can twist it around to qualify virtually any product, and get away with it.

The REAL culprit here is the administrators of our federal agencies who have decided to allow this to happen. The losers are those companies that DO want to keep the jobs here at home and are willing to make a 100% pure American product. But because the federal government allows companies to dilute the "Made in the USA" claim...the consumer no longer has any idea which companies to support and which ones to pass over. If Eaton is duping us with a phony "Made in the US" label, how many other companies are doing the same?
true, the government has the same vague 'approvals' on 'organic' and 'all natural' foods as well. I don't like the crappy standards they have for this. It'd be nice if products had a label not unlike ones I see on some new cars stating where their major components are from, location of final assembly, and a little graph showing the percentage of US, Canada, and other parts contained in the final product. The 'made in USA' label should be reserved for products made 100% in the USA, and if Eaton wants to trot around claiming "made in USA" they should be able to... sort of. Assuming they have 75% American made parts in it, and the rest coming from some rice patty overseas, the "made in usa" label would read as follows: "75% made in usa components".
Old 08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

That's funny, I was going to bring up the parallels in the "organic" labeling issues as well.

Part of the responsibility (and part of the blame) can rightfully be assigned to the government. However, the government includes certain "safeguards" in situations like this, and our right to speak freely is indeed one of them. They know that they can't perfectly regulate everything (and, in many cases, shouldn't). But they also know that, by protecting people's free speech, the people will regulate many of the situations that the government can't (or won't, or shouldn't, etc.). The media (which, like it or not, is us too) balances out a lot of situations simply by shining a light on them. So, just by telling people what Eaton is doing, we can put economic pressure on them to be more honest. We have to exert a reasonable economic penalty. Thus, any sane business owner will say: "Well, this policy resulted in loss of money for me, so, I need to adjust the policy".

Also, to reiterate, in my opinion, this isn't really a Chinese-manufacturing issue (that issue has merit, but it's a side-issue for me). It's mostly a problem of deceptive marketing, and leveraging fake legal threats to try to pressure people out of speaking freely.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
My point is that the Big 3 have exported jobs, cut costs of production by substituting plastic for steel, foam, and vinyl. (interior trim, bumpers, mouldings, wheel covers... etc)

But I don't see any labor/material savings being passed on to the consumer.

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of replacement parts are being assembled, at least ... if not manufactured, off-shore. It's GOTTA be a whole lot cheaper in labor, or they wouldn't be shipping that stuff across the pond on cargo ships.
All the problems they (GM) are having with the 3.4 leaking coolant through the head gaskets. Those engines are made in China. The American companies need to learn to build a better product, not a cheaper one. They went from having one of the most solid V6 engines to a piece of crap to save afew bucks and further kill the US auto industry at the same time.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Is that guy a TOTAL IDIOT? There are numerous posts here that simply rave about the quality of those things! I am sure, I mean I KNOW for a fact that these discussions here, and a couple of other sites, have sold several compressors for that outfit and until now they probably had more respect here than even some of the old industrial names.
Reading about them on this site is one of the reasons I bought mine. I for one have not seen any negative posts on here about eaton compressors and have probably read about everything written about them so don't understand where this is coming from. Sounds like the city of Eaton has been giving him the run around but is that any reason for this?
Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: 41' finally has paint on it
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
SixPackR/T -- good find, I've "snippeted" the text in your post, and kept the link intact so people can read the full story.

I've also just sent an email to Mr. Cain and his lawyer, Richard Miller, formally inviting them to participate in this discussion. I think they should get an opportunity to offer an explanation, before we put this on the front page of Hotrodders.com. I just checked Google, and searches for "Balyeat, Leahy, Daley, & Miller" (the name of Mr. Cain's lawyer's law firm) are turning up this discussion in the #3 position today.

HH -- no idea how that one measures up. I imagine it's quite complicated, and we'd probably need an experienced lawyer to break it down for us. If anything, this issue has demonstrated what we don't know, and it's reinforced what is emerging as a Golden Rule for us: "Never trust a marketer".
Man! I really hate to hear all this negative stuff about the attitude of the guy that runs Eaton Compressor.
I recently bought one of their compressor pumps on Ebay and received great response from them when I called them to make sure I got the correct pump. Their shipping was prompt and , so far I have been very happy with it. It performs just as they said it would.
I also assumed that the pump was "Made in the USA" and was not the least bit afraid of the quality because I figure that they will be there to provide warranty support in case it don't hold up.
These days it's really hard to buy any manufactured product that isn't made out of parts made in foriegn countries. and if you do find something that is 100% American made is is priced out of reach for the common hourly worker.
And some of this stuff is made in foriegn countries and just painted the company colors and has the famous logo on them and they are still priced out of sight.
That means that the ones benifiting from it most are the big guys with all the bucks that can import the "sweat shop " made products and collect all the money for themselves. Because you can bet they aren't paying many American citizens to produce their product.
These guys are going to wake up one of these days and wonder why the common American worker isn't buying their imported product. And the number one reason will be that their aren't any manufacturing jobs left in the U.S. that are allowing us to earn a good enough living to afford them.
I also would like to invite Mr. Cain to respond to this discussion and give us an honest explaination of how much of his product is imported and how much is actually manufactured in the U.S. Not in % of parts, but actual working components.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Last photo:

It would appear to me, and apparently most everyone else who has responded, that he is upset with people knowing where his compressors are made. Eaton has had a good product in the past, or at least the ones I have seen have been decent, but there are others out there that are just as good and they have been and will be around for a long time. If Eaton compressor was not trying to deceive anyone about where some of their products are made why would they care about this thread? Are they trying to hide something? How on Earth would simply posting on a web site where a product is made (and the reference info coming directly from a company rep!) be grounds for a lawsuit? If they are trying to hide the fact that they use imported Chinese pumps and motors, as stated by a sales rep from Eaton Compressor, then what else might they be trying to hide? I myself would never trust them now nor could I recommend them to anyone else, not with this kind of attitude!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
It would appear to me, and apparently most everyone else who has responded, that he is upset with people knowing where his compressors are made. Eaton has had a good product in the past, or at least the ones I have seen have been decent, but there are others out there that are just as good and they have been and will be around for a long time. If Eaton compressor was not trying to deceive anyone about where some of their products are made why would they care about this thread? Are they trying to hide something?
If the product is good quality (which mine is) and is affordable to the average guy it will sell. Eaton is far & beyond anything I've seen in the box stores so they don't have anything to worry about there. With almost everything being made overseas these days country of origin doesn't even matter to the majority of people as long as it serves it's intended purpose. With almost 100% favorable comments on this and other forums, to do something like this is shooting himself in the foot in a big way. I could understand him being upset if the poster was saying something malicious but I've read that thread & see nothing of the sort. Hopefully he will see the error he is making and withdraw any threatened or actual lawsuits and join in on the discussion before the negative publicity spreads all over the internet. He will sell more machines by coming on here and stating why his products are better and backing it up with data and answering forum members questions about his products than by suing someone.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveU
Eaton is far & beyond anything I've seen in the box stores so they don't have anything to worry about there.
You want to see a "real" compressor from a box store? Check this out, Northern Tool started carrying Quincy air compressors and these are made in the USA by one of the oldest and best known names in the industry! I have always maintained that Quincy was "THE BEST" but they could be somewhat spendy for home use. It is encouraging to see one of these old favorites aiming at the small shop or home market (and now more competitively priced ) so Eaton does not have this corner of the market all to themselves.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial

This reply was not intended as a plug for Quincy air compressors but to point out that Eaton does not have a lock on this market.

Last edited by oldred; 08-28-2008 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

Oldred, I agree about that Quincy being a first rate compressor, too bad Northern tool doesn't have any stores in my state as I'd like to see one up close. All the box stores here carry are Campbell Hausfield, Husky, & Portercable, that is what I was basing my observation on. It just gets me that someone would try to threaten or intimidate over something like this, if something posted is incorrect then he should come on & state his side rather than what has been done. If I ever do manage to wear this thing out maybe I'll have to look into either the 5 or 7.5 hp Quincy.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
Not that this is a compressor, but thought someone may find it interesting. We do work for Toyota of America and found this in one of the trucks today.

Brian

Old 08-28-2008, 08:05 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

When will these idiots from these companies realize that every time they close down a plant in the US and export Jobs to China or god knows where that they are tying one knot at a time in their own noose. HELLO.......... CEO's, presidents, owners, stock holders and greedy people, if nobody has a job in this country, then ........WHO will buy your made in China products. That is right, if you turn the U.S. into a country with just very rich and very poor people, who will buy your products????? The rich, the poor, the Chinese, or how about people in India!!!!! Get a Clue, keep jobs in the US and invest in its future instead of destroying it. Not everybody is going to have a college education and not everybody is rich, so where does that leave the people in the middle......it doesn't.....A-holes like you that export jobs and then lie about your product being Made in the U.S. make me sick. I hope you choke on your profits and your children and grandchildren reap from what you are doing. I hope they live in a sewer eating rats with all the other A-holes children and grandchildren who sold our country out for profit.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.