Hot Rod Forum banner

Eaton Compressor threatens to sue me over "Made in China" compressor post

115K views 190 replies 88 participants last post by  rockable 
#1 ·
Just wanted to let everyone know that Matt Cain, the President of Eaton Compressor, has threatened me with a frivolous lawsuit over a discussion that mentions how Eaton Compressors are made in China. He also indicated that he had previously pressured other forums into deleting similar threads.

Mr. Cain has been attempting to strong-arm me into revealing the identity of a Hotrodders.com forum member, and threatening me with legal action if I didn't remove a certain post on this forum. Most recently, after a phone call with Mr. Cain in which he told me: "I will not stop with just making threats", I got a letter from Mr. Cain's lawyer, Richard W. Miller of the law firm Balyeat, Leahy, Daley & Miller, requesting the identity of the poster.

I have refused to provide Mr. Cain's lawyer with any information (ie: email address or IP addresses) that would lead to the identity of the Hotrodders.com member.

If you are a forum administrator reading this thread, here's the important part: You don't have to delete anything for Eaton Compressor, or give them any information about anybody. They have no legal ground to stand on, and are simply threatening you with baseless legal claims.

On this forum, the post in question is here. It's currently coming up #3 in Google for searches for "Eaton compressor". In the post, a Hotrodders.com member quoted a post from GarageJournal.com, in which a GarageJournal.com member quoted an email from Eaton Compressor, stating that certain Eaton products are "built in China".

Mr. Cain has made some ridiculous legal claims about this post in an attempt to get it pulled. Oddly, the post appears to simply be reproducing an email sent by Eaton Compressor itself.

Mr. Cain told me that "if 60% of the machine is made here, the machine is considered 'Made in the USA' by law", which seems be a generous interpretation of the actual docs from the Federal Trade Commission. It's very interesting to see how the President of a huge compressor company interprets the concept of "Made in the USA". Not that there's anything inherently evil about Chinese manufacturing, but there is something wrong with twisting the truth.

In the letter from the law firm, Mr. Cain's lawyer said: "In fact the reference to the product being made in China is simply no longer truthful."

Yes folks, he didn't say "not true" he said "no longer truthful". My guess is that, the compressor in question was originally considered "Made in China", and an Eaton Compressor tech guy revealed that in an email to a prospective customer, who reproduced it on a forum. Later, through generous mathematics and some creative lawyering, perhaps Eaton Compressor was able to bring the spin on that product up over Cain's "60%" figure, and thus could now claim that it was "Made in the USA". After they took care of that, Cain probably wanted to do some retroactive damage control, and figured some administrator-threatening would work to eliminate the evidence from Google.

I have no idea as to what percentage of Eaton Compressor's products are manufactured in China, and I'm not familiar with the in-the-trenches legal maneuvering that decides the day-to-day interpretation of the phrase "Made in the USA". However, I could not help but notice that an article in the Dayton Business Journal revealed that Mr. Cain is investing $5 million in a new company, Eaton-Max, to retail the products he manufactures. The article stated: "Cain is launching the new venture by teaming up with a silent partner out of China. The Chinese partner and Cain each will own 50 percent of Eaton-Max."

Judging from public minutes of commissioner's meetings in Mr. Cain's county, as well as posts that Mr. Cain has made on a local Ohio forum, it appears that he has a reputation for threatening people with frivolous lawsuits.

In my final communication with Mr. Cain, he said to me: "You will pay for this".

When I told Mr. Cain that I would be letting people know about his behind-the-scenes intimidation tactics to spin the percentage of "Made in China" parts in his compressors, he uttered a truly classic line: "You will be in even more bigger trouble".

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry to hear this

I am really sorry to read this. Eaton used to have a good reputation. I was going to buy Eaton when I eventually have to repair or replace my current compressor.

They are close enough to me where I could go pick one up in my truck. The Chinese stuff didn't bother me too much if it didn't hurt quality. It's hard to find anything without something made in China these days.

However, this doesn't sound like the kind of business I want to give my money to?

Steve

#4 ·
Very interesting, I will be glad to forward this to others. It is like a little gossip, hey, guess what??? Eaton compressors are not completely "Made in the USA"... but from China... If they posted that on their product, Made in the USA, would that be lying"?

Jon, are you :sweat: ?

Jason

#9 ·
I don't care what kind of quality the company makes...stuff like this ensures I will never, ever, ever consider a product of theirs. Ever.

What a (rhyme time) mupid pile of chit, useless dockphuk's gotta earn his wage somewhere I guess eh? Even the chinese aren't that bad.

Eaton compressors are made in Chine. I wonder if I'll get sued now.

But yeah, I heard Eatons are made in China!

#10 ·
The fact that some of their major parts are made in China is disappointing(especially since my last two jobs have left the country) but Mr. Cains tactics have convinced me to never buy his products. Jobs leaving the country are sad but a fact of life today. If he would have said they had to do it to stay competitive I think people would understand but to try to hide it through intimidation is just wrong. Thank you Jon and Hotrodders Bulletin Board for standing up and showing companies like Eaton, Street Beasts, and the others that have been exposed for what they truly are. Keep fighting for the truth. That is what makes this place great.

Brock

#12 ·
JON,Thanks for having big balls and intelligence too. I have been threatened by lawyers in the past and in every case it was just to try to scare me off. Like you it did not scare me and never went any further.This is still the USA and you have the right to voice your opinion.Keep up the good work. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

#13 ·
Somebody needs to remind this guy where we are! This is the USA! Not communists China. We can say what we want without being shot for it. (Most of the time. ;) )
If he does not want people to know some of the compressors are made in China then he should not be doing it. :nono: Just tell the truth about it! :rolleyes:

I am in the market for a better compressor. I will not be buying Eaton. Not because of China parts, but because they are butt faces. :cool:

#14 ·
Is that guy a TOTAL IDIOT? There are numerous posts here that simply rave about the quality of those things! :confused: I am sure, I mean I KNOW for a fact that these discussions here, and a couple of other sites, have sold several compressors for that outfit and until now they probably had more respect here than even some of the old industrial names. I answered my own question that guy IS an idiot and speaking for myself I will never recommend them to anyone again! IMO this is going to backfire on them bigtime, just wait until the rumor gets around that if a customer don't like his compressor and says anything he will get sued! :rolleyes:

#15 ·
made somewhere else

I remember after WW II when make in Japan Meant junk and later when made in taiwan meant junk. I guy I knew was hired by the Taiwan government to go around to the manufacturing plants and to try to get them to improve quality and eventually get a better reputation for their products. Most places i have seen overseas have gross safety problems and pollution problems. when the people complained the factories moved to another jungle island where there were no rules and a dollar a day and a bowl of rice would get all the workers they needed

#16 ·
As said, jobs leaving is a fact of life now. In fact, China is the richest nation on earth now, since the USA is selling out to China hand over fist, the problem is going to get worse. My older brother said many times a few years back "were selling ourselves out, were putting ourselves out of buisness" and as much as I hate to admit it he`s right. As for this thing with the compressors, I will just say I love it when people make threats, with all the legal BS we already got in this country it seems funny you can make threats now and thats viewed as legal. I guess it depends on who you threaten. Some guy threatens presidential candidates and he gets locked up. But we say something is made in china and we get threatened with a lawsuit and other threats like "Your going to pay for this" as in what way? I guess not getting pacific covers there tail.
Let him talk the talk, lets see if he can walk the walk. When he see`s theres no case he won`t spend any money on it and disappear.

#18 ·
oldred said:
Is that guy a TOTAL IDIOT? There are numerous posts here that simply rave about the quality of those things! :confused: I am sure, I mean I KNOW for a fact that these discussions here, and a couple of other sites, have sold several compressors for that outfit and until now they probably had more respect here than even some of the old industrial names. I answered my own question that guy IS an idiot and speaking for myself I will never recommend them to anyone again! IMO this is going to backfire on them bigtime, just wait until the rumor gets around that if a customer don't like his compressor and says anything he will get sued! :rolleyes:
Oldred has a great deal of knowledge on compressors and welding, works in a field where good equipment is a must. He's not shy about sharing his opinion of equipment, I remember reading posts where he has reccomended Eaton. This is not good for Eaton, Oldred could be making a commission for Eaton...

The 60% rule, IIRC, has to do with tarriffs and taxes. And yes, there are various degrees of quality coming out of China. The poor quality will come to light whem it hurts the pocketbook, the better quality will go unnoticed, for the most part. Admitting some parts are made in China is not ALWAYS a bad thing, educating the public of the quality would be a better idea. Threats are just flat out stupid, it makes it look like you're dishonest and have something to hide. Maybe that's where the song "Pop goes the Weasel" originated...Popping up to make threats, arggggg..Now I will have this dudes picture in my head for awhile...lol. Time to mow the yard, adios til later.

#20 ·
Being in the industrial industry for many years I have had many opportunities to work on and use Eaton products, everything from industrial sized locomotive blowers to small compressors.

Without exception these products had been quality made and well designed, not too mention easy to get replacement parts for.

In todays economy finding something "not made in China" is almost an impossibility and for the most part many of these products have been "you get what you pay for" as far as quality goes. This country of origin has come a long way in quality control and base material quality over the last 20 years, similar to what happened with Japanese components and products in the 70's-80's.

However any company that plays hardball tactics over something as simple as admitting where their products are made makes me think twice about the integrity of their management and the direction the company is headed. I can only wonder how they treated their employees when they made the switch to outsourcing their products to another country.

Guess its just another sign of the times when "Mafia" techniques of communication are standard issue in corporate Amerika, how sad it is to see this kind of attitude finally exposed in the marketplace...and on an innocent internet forum whose only goal is to foster honest communications amongst its members regarding information on their products.

I have only one thing to say, Mr. Matt Cain is likely about to be handed his hat at the next corporate meeting regarding his actions and frivolous threats. Luckily shareholders have as much loyalty to crappy management as Grandma at Walmart.

Goodbye Matt, I only wish your golden corporate parachute could be made of lead and you could be made to account for your actions in a court of law. Oh well, I am sure he will be the head of some other unsuspecting corporation somewhere else in no time.

At least we know what kind of guy he is, I will watch for your name on the shareholder reports Matt. I will be pulling my investments in Eaton as a result of this engagement, thats the best I can do as a little guy.

Lets hope Eaton Corp does the same to their investment in you Matt. :welcome:

Eaton In China

#21 ·
4jaw, I think Eaton compressor and the Eaton corp. are two different outfits. I have no doubt they have benefited from name recognition even though I don't think they have any connection to the industrial giant Eaton and I seriously doubt Eaton corporation would resort to non-sense like this nor would they let someone like Matt Cain speak for them..

#23 ·
One possibility is that big corporations really don't give a damn about their own domestic markets. China IS emerging as an enormous new consumer market as well, much the same as what happened in Japan. It's "where the money is" ... or it soon will be.

Are "free enterprise" and capitalism going to be our own downfall?
We seem to enjoy handing over our own wealth of resources and technology to 3rd world countries ... effectively "training" them how to produce, manufacture, and distribute ... and ultimately COMPETE with items of our own invention.

North America has been responsible for SO much post-war innovation because our way of life has allowed people the means to BE innovative. People in developing nations seemed to be stuck in a "working to survive" rut, with little time to be creative or to be rewarded for being so. Communism, dictatorships, and empires really don't don't "inspire" people much.

I often wonder if deceased veterans are rolling over in their graves at the thoughts of those "enemies" that they fought so valiantly to defeat are now taking jobs away from their own offspring? Who REALLY won those wars?

Japanese "quality"
"German engineering"

Shame on corporations for using "peasant" labor, and shame on us for buying something JUST because it's cheaper!

#24 ·
One more thought ...

The "Big 3" have been assembling vehicles and selling replacing parts for more than a decade.

Has anyone seen a decrease in car prices as a result?
A new 66 Mustang which was likely 90+ % American made (from steel, not plastic) used to sell for what ... $3000?

#25 ·
66GMC said:
One more thought ...

The "Big 3" have been assembling vehicles and selling replacing parts for more than a decade.

Has anyone seen a decrease in car prices as a result?
A new 66 Mustang which was likely 90+ % American made (from steel, not plastic) used to sell for what ... $3000?
I am not being a smart arse, but what is the point?

#26 ·
oldred said:
4jaw, I think Eaton compressor and the Eaton corp. are two different outfits. I have no doubt they have benefited from name recognition even though I don't think they have any connection to the industrial giant Eaton and I seriously doubt Eaton corporation would resort to non-sense like this nor would they let someone like Matt Cain speak for them..
I think you are right oldred.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.