? Eaton G80 Gov Lock diff in GM trucks ? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The GovLoc is the only diff case that I have seen numerous (more than 200 myself) failures in vehicles that had no abuse(soccer moms in like new Tahoes?). My source tells me that GM uses the GovLoc because Eaton sells them to GM for $12. 100,000 at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2007, 12:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

I have seen a few that went boom and heard of a few others. I have one in the 8.5" flavor my s10. It will get replaced once I have the money and time to do so because I am not a big fan of the gov-bomb. It acts like an open diff (jack up the back end and you can spin it by hand) and then locks solid after some 1-wheel-peel...that shock loading is what often causes them to throw chunks out the diff cover. My 125hp hasn't managed to blow it up yet...

If you want to know more about them take a look at the patents.
http://www.google.com/patents?id=FO88AAAAEBAJ
http://www.google.com/patents?id=2gg-AAAAEBAJ
Take a look at the drawings as well as the referenced by and citations.

This one was submitted in 69, approved in 74, and shows the governor (where the gov-lock got its name).
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATRE28004
73-up trucks all (with I'm sure a very few exceptions) came with Gov-locks when ordered with the G80 build code. It was the 72 and older trucks that got "Posi" differentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.