? Eaton G80 Gov Lock diff in GM trucks ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

? Eaton G80 Gov Lock diff in GM trucks ?

Anyone have any experience with the Eaton G80 gov-lock differential in the newer GM trucks/ suvs?

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod2.htm

Trying to learn the pros and cons from your experiences.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Anyone have any experience with the Eaton G80 gov-lock differential in the newer GM trucks/ suvs?

Trying to learn the pros and cons from your experiences.
I know two people that have had issues, one truck was a year old and the rear locked up and the other was three weeks old when it did. Neither got any info from the dealer, one wouldn't know the difference and the other the dealer wouldn't tell him anything. Both were under warranty.
There are millions on the road, maybe theirs were isolated.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

G80 is the RPO that is assigned to any of the GM limited slip or locking diffs. The Gov-lock that you linked to is a bit misunderstood. It is basically an on-demand locker that uses a light coil that mechanically signals the clutches to lock up. Its like a limited slip that is open until excessive wheel slip triggers it to apply the clutches.

They are a heavy duty piece. If you tear one apart you'll find nice heavy internals along with this tiny little wimpy coil. The first reaction is to say that the coil will be the first to break, but in reality, the beefy cross spider gears are the first to go. Its rare to hear about the signal coil failing.

Lockers are open until you lock them together. Limited slips are held together by a viscous clutch all the time. The Gov Lock is what's in between; open for 90% of the time, but a viscous limited slip when needed.

Its a great street posi if you ask me. They get a bad rep because they don't hold up in high-hp race applications, but for street, towing, and HD trucks they are the cat's pajamas
Old 01-01-2007, 09:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

they work well when used as designed.

My gov-lock unit spit parts out the back cover on my 74 GMC 4x4 I owned many years ago. It was my fault , I over powered the diff
Old 01-01-2007, 10:43 AM

One problem with the gov lock is that if you spin up the rpm too quickly, the lockup mechanism may break. The locking mechanism engages when there is about 100 rpm difference between the two wheels. If you nail the throttle hard and go from 0 to 1000+ wheel rpm quickly it engages with a bang puts a lot of sudden strain on the locking mechanism. Its especially bad on dry pavement.

Bruce
Old 01-01-2007, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

G80 option. How do you know which type differential is installed in a 2006 Chevy HD2500 2 wd extended cab with 6.0 L??
Also have a 2003 ext cab Z71-1500 with off road and trailer package 5.3 engine 410 gears.

First one in HD2500 lasted 35,000 miles and locked up solid. Second one under warranty lasted 2,000 miles. Now it is out of warranty, so GM doesn't care.

No problelm with the Z71 at 60,000, but it's always had that driveline clunk that they are famous for. I think it is clutch disc limited slip.

I also know that Gov-Lock dis-engages above 20 mph.

Curtis you said,
..."on-demand locker that uses a light coil that mechanically signals the clutches to lock up. Its like a limited slip that is open until excessive wheel slip triggers it to apply the clutches." What kind of coil? electric?

Curtis you also said......"Limited slips are held together by a viscous clutch all the time." ????????????
Viscous limited slips are almost non-existent any more. Most all rear drives are flat multi-disc or cone Auburn style. I think that viscous are available aftermarket for front wheel drives.

75gmck25..... You said that they engage at about 100 rpm difference between rear tires. That seems high= and they disengage at 20 mph. A truck only turns 600 tire rpm at 60 mph.

thanks guys
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Curtis you said,
..."on-demand locker that uses a light coil that mechanically signals the clutches to lock up. Its like a limited slip that is open until excessive wheel slip triggers it to apply the clutches." What kind of coil? electric?
Its a mechanical coil that operates on centrifugal force. It looks kinda like a choke coil, but its not thermo-operated. When one wheel spins, the coil's inertia triggers the lockup. I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.

Quote:
Curtis you also said......"Limited slips are held together by a viscous clutch all the time." ????????????
Viscous limited slips are almost non-existent any more. Most all rear drives are flat multi-disc or cone Auburn style. I think that viscous are available aftermarket for front wheel drives.
This is simply further evidence to the fact that I'm a dork. I misused the word viscous. You are correct that they are clutch style or cone style held togehter by spring pressure. Truth is, I just like the word viscous. Viscous, viscous, viscous.

I believe that the later trucks used the eaton-style clutch limited slip. Prior to that they used a cone style like I got stuck with in my Impala SS. The Gov Lock was usually reserved for the 14-bolt trucks.

P.S. viscous
Old 01-01-2007, 06:37 PM

I have a gov lock in my truck, but I'm no expert on how it works. This web site is where I found the info about engaging at about 100 rpm. It also explains why they can self destruct under extreme load.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/limit...ferentials.htm

Bruce
Old 01-01-2007, 07:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Its a mechanical coil that operates on centrifugal force. It looks kinda like a choke coil, but its not thermo-operated. When one wheel spins, the coil's inertia triggers the lockup. I wish I could be more specific, but I can't.

.....I just like the word viscous. Viscous, viscous, viscous.

I believe that the later trucks used the eaton-style clutch limited slip.

..... The Gov Lock was usually reserved for the 14-bolt trucks.

P.S. viscous

I did not get to see the HD2500 when it was apart. But I know the diff is a POS because it does not get abused, just used, and it has failed twice.

Eaton still manufactures their gov-lock and a disc limited slip.

Years ago wasn't Thorsen the manufacturer of viscous limited slips?

VISCOUS
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
jack of all trades

Last photo:

those gov-locks are total POS's. if i had one i would take it out before it cost me a tow. JUNK
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 AM
Good,Cheap,Fast.Pick Two

Last photo:

I have a gov-lock in the 12-bolt rear axle of my mud toy and have never had any problems with it,used to run 35" tires on a 77 4x4 with a 350 when I used valve float as my signal to dump the clutch in second now I've got 39.5" swampers on that axle in my buggy,less power now though,250ci Inline 6,automatic,and some more brains
Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
they work well when used as designed.

My gov-lock unit spit parts out the back cover on my 74 GMC 4x4 I owned many years ago. It was my fault , I over powered the diff

we don't know the cause but we had the gov lock in our 72 4x4 and when we took it apart and it was still working there where pieces of ring gear in the bottom of the housing. changed out to a eaton limited slip Ed ke6bnl
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortech 4.3
those gov-locks are total POS's. if i had one i would take it out before it cost me a tow. JUNK
I agree, the Gov-Locks are junk. I'd rather have a open differential than a Gov-Lock. The best posi's out there are the Eaton posi & the Auburn posi that uses the new cone clutch design. If you want something with a little more bite buy a Detroit locker differential or a lock-right that drops into your open differential. These can be a hand full in the rain / ice because the act just like a spool under power or engine braking.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal

I agree, the Gov-Locks are junk. I'd rather have a open differential than a Gov-Lock.
Vortec4.3/ Tribal

Opinionated, But why?

Are these 2006 model parts as good or as bad as the mid 70s stuff lots of people complain about? But some have good service with?

If the GovLock has such an outrageously high failure rate at low miles...., why does Eaton still make them and GM still uses them on a daily basis?

I thought the premise on this Chevy board is that if the General makes it, that it is good. If the General doesn't make it..... it ain't worth %^&*.

Just because someone heard that someone's brother's wife's uncle's veternarian had one that broke is not a reason to condemn all.

I'm serious, not sarcastic.

GMC = got mechanic coming
Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:

The Gov-Locks are POS because they don't fully engage the clutches till the unit senses a slip, letting it act as a open diff till it senses a slip. That's when all hell brakes lose & the unit explodes. I've rebuilt about 15 rear ends due to the Gov-Lock exploding.

The GM Grenade-Lock. This one is from a '96 Suburban.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.