Eaton M62 with TBI ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 05:04 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Eaton M62 with TBI ???

I bought an used Eaton supercharger from a Oldsmobile, I believe it's the Supercharger 3800, which is basically an Eaton M62, correct ?

Is there anyway I can use it to work with the GM throttle body injection ?

Which would mean I would be feeding fuel through the blower, someone told me the bearings may go, also the Eaton's work better the hotter they get ? Which would mean the fuel going through would cool the system and work against it ?

This would be going on a LO3 engine, ie the 305 TBI, in a '91 Camaro.

I wish I could afford a Whipple charger, but there's no way in hell I can afford one ... so ...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 05:50 PM

The m62 is to small for a 305, a m90 is a better choice, the m112 the best choice. They don't run better when hot. They are not designed to have fuel flowing thru them, the rear bearings may lose lubrication when you do so. You really need to keep them within there operating range. Eaton has a web site that has all the details on that operating range.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Last photo:

I know the M62 is too small, but I haven't been able to find the M90 nor M112 at the junkyards, I was thinking of maybe running two M62's.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:13 PM

Eaton blowers are available on Ebay all day long. Usually for around $200 plus shipping. The m90 were used on the T-birds and after '96 on GM products. Mostly the 3.8 v6's for both Ford and GM. The Ford version is more compact, but the GM version has the built in by-pass valve.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Yes, it can be done. Throttle body fuel injection is still fuel injection. It doesnt matter if the throttle is upstream or down stream of the injector. So just place another throttle body on the intake of the supercharger and run your throttle body on the intake manifold at wide open. To keep it simple, use the same throttlebody on the supercharger so you can run the tps sensor and idle speed on the supercharger, you just wont need the injectors.
Then pipe the supercharger outlet to the "single point fuel injector". Then youll have to work some sort of fuel enrichemt system, not sure if a rising rate fuel regulator would work to well.
You would be better off with the Ford eaton 90 though, from the front of the pulley to the back of the supercharger its 15 1/2 inches long as opposed to the gm eaton 62 wich measures 19 inches long. Shorter is better, the firewall tends to get in the way of progress.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.