Ebay Funnies - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Left Front Fender
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ebay Funnies

Got a laugh from these and thought I would share them.

Maybe I am just getting old, but vintage bar codes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...%3A10%7C39%3A1

Swiss cheese fender, quarter, and trunk with "very little rust issues."

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...%3A10%7C39%3A1

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,324 Times in 1,149 Posts
I have to tell you, on the use of "Vintage", I have used similar language in my Ebay ads. It is all a matter of opinion what "Vintage" is. And WHAT you are selling that you are calling "vintage". I have a "Vintage" cell phone out in my garage hanging on the wall. It is a brick sized phone from 1998. It is without a doubt a VINTAGE cell phone.

Those valve covers DO look like they are NOS. New-Old-Stock, means they are a unused Older part. What is "old", can it be NOS if the product is still being made? That doesn't make a lot of sense, but I guess so. It is all up to the opinion of the guy who wants it.

I have to think about all the times I have sold something that I knew nothing about. And that has been many times, if I know nothing about it, am I guilty of deception by describing it wrong? No, if it is HONESTLY described physically, you aren't lying. If you don't describe it's "value" in some way, you aren't lying, you don't know!

My thing with Ebay is because I think it is a piece of crap, I am not going to say it is a piece of crap in the ad if you get my drift. Let the guy who is looking at it call it a piece of crap or gold, that is HIS right.

I have had so many items that I have put on there thinking I was going to throw it in the garbage at the end of the auction because of zero bids and the thing ends up going for hundreds of dollars!

I had a bunch of "vintage" photograph negatives. I had paid way too much for them on a Yahoo auction. They were NOT honest in their description. They gave me the impression that there were many ones in there of old motorcycle races. I paid something like $100 or something like that. They ended up being a ton of photos with people at a dinner table and crap like that. With just a few of local sites of interest (sites in and around Half Moon Bay California on the coast). They sat up in my computer hutch for about five years. I was selling stuff on ebay and I thought I would try to get rid of them and put them on with an honest description of what they were. No opinion out side of saying "a few out of focus junk" and "some photos of local sites, most are photos of families and people" that sort of thing. All the while I am thinking these things are junk, but let them decide. They went for $212.00! And the buyer left me GLOWING positive feedback!

Let the buyer decide if they are "vintage" or not. As long as you aren't out and out lying (you bought it new last week).

Vintage Show Spelled Pronunciation [vin-tij] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, -taged, -taging.
Use vintage in a Sentence
?noun 1. the wine from a particular harvest or crop.
2. the annual produce of the grape harvest, esp. with reference to the wine obtained.
3. an exceptionally fine wine from the crop of a good year.
4. the time of gathering grapes, or of winemaking.
5. the act or process of producing wine; winemaking.
6. the class of a dated object with reference to era of production or use: a hat of last year's vintage

On the Chevy, if they gave good description of the rust and where it is at that wouldn't be dishonest saying "Very little rust issues" (though I wouldn't stretch it that far!) if you were from the rust belt! Here in California it would he a rust bucket! Again, IS he lying or not, who knows?

Just another way to look at these things.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

It's been said many times, "one mans junk is another mans treasure". Brian makes a good point with his description of rust and the areas of our country.
My story: I was at my old room mates house one day, he was cleaning the shop, had my old Vega fiberglass back side windows for making it into a sedan delivery, he was going to toss them. I drug them home, gave them to my new (est) wife, who was and is, the Ebay queen, to sell. She was about half p.o.ed, made me package them for delivery, grumbled through the whole ordeal til the last minute bidding war started, they went for just a shade under $300. You never know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.