Ebay makes me sick again - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ebay makes me sick again

Was looking on Ebay, this is twice I`ve seen the same ad.
302 Chevy "DZ" heads. Yet they have press in studs, 1.94 valves.
It kills me how people will lie to get more money, and what really kills me is the people bidding on them, none of`em do there homework, if they did they would know 302 heads came with screw in studs and guide plates as well as 2.02 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. Chevy wouldn`t have even attempted to put press in studs without guide plates on there highest revving engine.
I wrote the guy selling them and told them these facts, and I also mentioned he shouldn`t try to sell them as something they aren`t. Of course, he didn`t reply. yet, on his ebay site he says how honest he is, what a joke, another typical con artist. And the buyer likely doesn`t know either, the money they`ll put in these 40 year old junk castings when they could buy a aftermarket head or a Vortec head for the same money and have a far better set of heads.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 05:45 AM

Last photo:

Not exactly the same, but I just bought a BBC Victor Jr. intake that the guy advertised as an air-gap. I told him it was not an air-gap and he argued with me. It has Victor Jr. cast right into it!
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 AM
Last photo:

There are a ton of people on Ebay taking advantage of the 69 Z/28 craze. Anything remotely associated with the 69 Z brings outrageous prices. Some of the stuff is not even for a 69 Camaro let alone a 69 Z/28. It is just ridiculous.

Vince
Old 05-12-2006, 06:19 AM

ebay makes me sick again

I agree with everyone, however, as Doublevision said 'do your homework', if you don't know what you are buying, then it is your problem. Unfortunately, it's a "Buyer Beware" world and you get what you pay for. There are still some honest people out there.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

I just love the ads selling small, common parts like brackets or something and in the title is "SS" or "396" or "Z-28", etc. All the while you can find the same part on a junked Chevette.

The ones I stay clear of are the ones that say, "I'm selling this for a friend and I don't know much about it..." This distances them from authenticity and condition.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

The stupidity of some E-bay bidders never seems to surprise me. Watched an auction for a Max Wedge cross ram intake manifold last week. The interesting thing was that the seller was auctioning only the PICTURE of the manifold NOT the manifold itself. He plainly stated that in the auction comments and wouldn't you know (the last time I checked) 4 different idiots had bid that picture up over $400.

In this case the seller was being very candid and plainly stated he was selling the picture only but the bidders were idiots. I have also seen people try to pass stuff off as something it isn't quite often and most of the time when they were called on it they had simply made an honest mistake. However, I did run into one guy who was trying to pass off a polysphire engine as an early hemi once. He turned out to be a real horse's butt and even came here and made a fool of himself by complaining about my calling him on it.

Bottom line when it comes to E-bay: "Caveat Emptor" - let the buyer beware.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:36 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Easy now guys, I am making a fortune off '69 Z-28 N.O.S. Rear tire air. I will be releasing N.O.S. air for front tires this coming week.

$99.95
Old 05-12-2006, 10:35 AM

Last journal entry: Free tires
Last photo:

Man, I need some of that NOS air, been looking all over for it. Is that for 14" or 15", 60 or 70 series tires?

I saw this one on E-Pay and couldn't belive it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem

To his knowledge the engine and trans are original. Jeez man, that's a small block chebby in there and I pretty darn sure it ain't a Pontiac tranny backing it up.

Must be selling it for a friend. But he's already got a good price bid up so far. I guess mine are approching 6 figure value then.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

Now don't everybody get there nickers in a knot but the 69 302's did "not" have screw-in-studs.... I just had this argument with a customer last year. He brought me a set of 186 heads off of a orginal 69 z-28. They were removed from the car in 1972. They had the correct 1 year camaro z-28 only valve covers, they had 2.02/1.6 valves with the correct gm markings, they had the correct 69 302 only rocker arm markings. the correct retainers....I told him there is no way they were correct and he told me they never came with screw-in-studs..... I can tell you these heads were never apart...

I have not been able to find it but he alo told me the camaro guru Jerry mc nish (spelling? ) also has that fact stated in one of his books....

flame on!!!!!

Up date, It's on page 26 of the 69 camaro handbook that they "did-not" have screw-in studs.......

Keith

Last edited by k-star; 05-12-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

A few weeks ago Hovis Racing Engines, a company well known, and should have known, was selling on eaby a complete SB2.2 Nascar heads that come off of Jeff Gordons car last year. He posted outraguoes flow No's like 700CFM at 700 lift and such.

First problem is, Hendrick Motorsport's(Jeff Gordon among others engine builder) doesn't sell heads earlier than five years old so the competion can't steal the technology, Nascar doesn't allow it either, But most of all, they heads only flow 475 at .800

So even those who should Know, lie cheat and steal all along the way. BTW the auction ended at near 10,000 for the heads. You can get em for 7500 all day from Hendrens Racing Engines.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

There was a set of "Boss 302 heads" from a 1976 Mustang II Cobra last year and the last I knew they were at about $375

Been, do you know anyone with N.O.S. tire air for early Mustangs? That stuff is getting hard to find!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

Beenaway,I feel sick.Selling N.O.S. air.I didn,t think of that.Last night I was braking down some old tires at my Dads place.It was a set of 1955 Ford f100 tires.I could have saved the air and sold it to 1955 T-Bird guys.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

Everyone sells their grandma's car on ebay. lol

Use car-fax before buying any car on ebay. Alot of sellers try to get rid of inventory that doesn't move on ebay. So Caveat Emptor...

---------------
my karma will run over your dogma...
Old 05-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-star
Now don't everybody get there nickers in a knot but the 69 302's did "not" have screw-in-studs.... I just had this argument with a customer last year. He brought me a set of 186 heads off of a orginal 69 z-28. They were removed from the car in 1972. They had the correct 1 year camaro z-28 only valve covers, they had 2.02/1.6 valves with the correct gm markings, they had the correct 69 302 only rocker arm markings. the correct retainers....I told him there is no way they were correct and he told me they never came with screw-in-studs..... I can tell you these heads were never apart...

I have not been able to find it but he alo told me the camaro guru Jerry mc nish (spelling? ) also has that fact stated in one of his books....

flame on!!!!!

Up date, It's on page 26 of the 69 camaro handbook that they "did-not" have screw-in studs.......

Keith

Keith is correct. None of the Chevy small block musclecars had screw in studs. The 30-30 cams were good at jackhammering the valve tips and pulling out the factory pressed in studs. Screw in stud conversions were done at your machine shop, but not at Chevrolet.

The Z-28's all had factory 2.02-1.6 valve sizes. The 69's had accessory bolt holes, the earlier zapper heads didn't. Z-28's had the familiar 186 head in 69, earlier years were the 462 or 291 casting.

All double hump heads were available with both 1.94-1.5 valve size, or the 2.02 amd 1.6 valve size, which means that you can create a correct Z-28 head if you have the right date code and casting number. There would be no way to tell if it came on a Z-28 or not.

Brian
Old 05-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

Thanks Brian,,,,I was starting to think i was loosing it?????

Keith

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.