Econo Wolf Heads? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Econo Wolf Heads?

Any one know of someone using Dr.J's Econo Wolf heads? They have great flow for the price. Not as quite much as the 220 Airwolf, however the Air Wolf is more head than I need and a good bit more $$$. Econo Wolfs use a ProComp core. Complete CNC profile so other than the core, it has nothing in common with the PC 210 heads. I have the PC 210's now with a port job and CNC combustion chambers. I have been satisfied with them so far, I just want more power. As is, they are good to just over 500HP, I'm looking to get 550+HP with better heads. I'm also hoping to shift peak power up a couple hundred RPMs.

I'm about to pull the trigger, however I'm still considering the Speier ported Profilers which flow about the same to .500" with a bit less at .600", or the AFR Race 210's.

The race 210's are bottom of the list now as I have yet to see any independent flow tests that come close to AFR's advertised numbers. I'm a little more confident in the accuracy of Bryce and Chad's published flow numbers.

Going on a Dart SHP 383, SCAT forged crank and rods, Probe forged pistons, Voodoo solid roller cam with .604/.613" - 245/251*@0.50", Lunati Springs, Scorpion roller rockers, PP Crosswind intake and Powerjection III. 10.7:1 compression right now. I also have a 150+ hit of N2O for track days. 5 speed car @ 3000 pounds with me, gas and half a box of jelly doughnuts.

70% street, 15% SCCA road race and AutoX, 15% 1/8th or 1/4 mile.

Looking for a real world review or testimonial of the Econo Wolf heads or any other suggestions in the $1500 price range to get 550HP+ out of my combo. I may be switching to a Team G or Vic Jr intake as well if needed. Thanks!

Here's the published flow rates for the Econo Wolfs:

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the heads you're looking at, they're all from very reputable head shops. To see the gain you're looking for I would first be looking at your intake though. Step up to a super victor, maybe one with some work done to it, and see where you're at.

For a lot more information on any of those heads I would start searching speedtalk.com.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Sadly I do not have hood clearance for a Super Victor. The Crosswind is a tad too high as it is and the hood rests on the air intake. I can see about a worked over Vic JR though.

Also will 1 3/4 headers be enough? I really do not have the option of going bigger. This is a SBC swap and larger headers would have to be custom made. Can't swing a new set.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

your headers shouldn't be a problem, if they're made well, but your intake choices are going to restrict you. A Vic Jr won't be much better than what you have. I would contact some good manifold people before you go the head route. New heads would surely help but you can only go so far with a crosswind manifold, 500hp is about it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

Id highly recomend the 210 Pro-Filers from chad speiers awesome heads plus chad is a great guy and has great service.

I just bought a set for my engine pretty close to your build
A lil solid roller 406 heres a few pics of mine any ?'s just hollar plus chad can tailor your heads to your liking. econo port for 1,400
AFR's would not touch chads pro-filers these pro-filers make great velocity down low witch you will feel real world off the brake on launchs. plus these are real world dyno numbers not over inflated numbers like on afr's site.

Another quick note a set of 210's will make more usable power than those 220's ecs with your 383 if it was a 415 cube or bigger sure but trust me a set of 210's will be JUST right for that combo dont fall into the trap of big high end numbers look at where your car will be power wise most in that 400' area good luck keep us posted.

By null at 2010-11-19

By null at 2010-11-19

By null at 2010-11-19

By null at 2010-11-25

By null at 2010-11-19

Last edited by PRO 48 fleetline; 02-22-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM
More for Less Racer

Chad Speier also has a hand ported "econo" 220cc head on his site. He is also using the ProComp casting for these, looks like a decent deal if you want to take a look, he is using good parts.

The Holley 300-25 Strip Dominator manifold deserves a look also.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:40 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Does Chad flow every set he sends out? That flow sheet is slightly different than what he has on the web site. Pretty cool if he verifies every set of heads.

He's got a 383 listed with those heads making 586HP, though he does not show the exact combo or cam. Still it shows the potential. At $1495 plus a little more for solid springs, I need to find a coupon, do you think he'll take a Harbor Freight one?

Looking at the flow numbers for Profiler 195's from Chad they may be an even better fit for my 383.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:13 PM

Last journal entry: Csr Electric Water pump
Last photo:

He does flow each head and mine posted here are with solid springs, you send him the cam card and he'll match them to your combo.

The reason these numbers are a lil differant is he can port and then message the chambers aswell to make power were you want and use it the most.

Id recomend talking to him before you buy any cylinder head amazing talent and good dude, heres a few pics of my intake he messaged aswell.

By null at 2010-11-11

By null at 2010-11-19
Old 02-22-2011, 11:58 PM

Bryce Mulvey at Dr. J's is one of the best around. He did some work on my Brodix heads and I couldn't be happier. He and Chad use to have some sort of partnership but it dissolved, don't know why. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on anything Bryce touches., you'll be happy you did.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:27 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Just an update. I talked with Bryce a couple times over the phone and pulled the trigger Friday. I'll have the Airwolf heads in a couple weeks! The Powerjection III comes in tomorrow. I will get to the dyno as soon as it's together to post results.

I felt I couldn't go wrong with either Bryce @ Dr.Js or Chad @ SRH based on feedback on the internet and judging their character based on posts they have made to several boards. Both gentlemen seem like stand up guys. No fluff or inflated CFM numbers. Both guys talk alot about flow not being everything either.

In the end I felt I was getting a better head than the AFR Race 210s I had been looking at. I was also worried about less than advertised flow rates on the AFRs. Too many folks showing they didn't hit the numbers. They still make a kick arse engine combo, but for about the same price, the Airwolfs seem better and come with springs matched to my specific cam's needs. Plus I wont have the same heads as everyone else at the Dairy Queen on Saturday nights...

I'll post pics when they are in.

As a side note: Summit ROCKS!! I called them about the 70027 Powerjection III fuel injection kit. They wanted $1749.99 like just about anyone else on the net. I found it for $1556 landed to my door from Autopartsdealer.com. However Autopartsdealer.com had a lot of poor feedback online, including advertising parts as in stock when they were not, not letting customers know of back orders and even changing prices on customer. Not to mention the $56 "Handling fee". Anyway, SUMMIT didn't hesitate to match the landed price for me. And now I get SUMMIT's customer service to boot. And a free hat! And most likely another free razor.. Ordered Friday and it's showing up tomorrow.

And to make things even better, I sold my lightly ported ProComp 210 heads for $450 last week. More than I thought I'd get. I feel like it's Christmas time in the garage!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM
FrankenPorsche

Last photo:

Update: I got my Airwolf Heads in. Real nice! Took little longer than expected but Bryce was swamped with orders not to mention Easter.

CNC work is great. Starts with a PC 3003 core, and everything changes from there. EVERYTHING! Upgraded roller springs, new valves, 5 angle valve job with anti reversion, and of course the new CNC profile inside.

I have them installed. Hooking up the powerjection this weekend hope to have running in two weeks, then off to the dyno. Bryce provided a flow sheet as well and my heads hit 308cfm @ 0.600". Since my max lift is 0.604" that's all that mattered for now, however the numbers keep going up. I can really grow with this head. Maybe a larger cam and 434 bottom end next year?

I'll update a video of the engine running and Dyno results in a couple weeks. Hope to hit the mid to high 500's. Here's a couple pics for now.

Last edited by Landshark928; 05-16-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.