Hot Rod Forum banner

economical commuter feasibility commitee (gas sipping hot rod PT.2):

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  monster76 
#1 ·
So the way this will work is that ideas will be submitted and i, self-appointed, or if you want to vote in leaders, will accept or reject proposals and ideas with specific reasons given.

The original proposal was to use a 33 ford coupe, but with no particular drivetrain specified. The object is "to have better than 15mpg, with a 60 mile per day commute."

Please proceed.

#4 ·
4bd1t isuzu w/ manual or auto if it doesent get 30 mpg something is broken

4bt or 6bt cummins w/ same trans combo

Best part is unique economical way more reliable easy to wire since its all mechnical and the possiblity for free sources of fuel cant be ignored like wvo or buying bio less $ etc..

#5 ·
Where would we get these engines?

But hold that thought for a moment.

i think we need to establish some parameters for the committee:

1) If anyone wants to be in the committee---we should have 5 members, voting/appointing closes tonight at 8pm western first come first served. i would like to be on it. We should decide how one gets on the committee.

2) Final plan for the car closes 2 weeks from now. Whatever we agree/decide on is what gets (or would get) built.

#6 ·
the 4bt cummins are available in bread trucks like frito lay wonder bread etc, the 6bt in 89-98 dodge ram, ford f600 and f700 from mid 80's to 98 frieghtliner med duty mid 80's-98

the 4bd1t is available in all npr's up to i believe 94 and idk up to what year the 4bd2t is available up im not sure what year but i can tell you rough prices

complete 4bd1t 900-1500
4bt 1500-2000
6bt 1000-2000

and there was literally millions built so they are every where try not to use ebay they are bit expensive

#7 ·
How about a Yanmar 2TNV70-HGE It's a 2 cylinder liquid cooled diesel producing 13.4 HP. These have been adapted to many little cars, and give as much as 50 MPG, tho because of the gearing, that is approx 50 MPH, however in a rear drive setup, the gearing could be changed and greater speed could be achieved.. This kind of engine in a little Track T, would be killer for a daily commute.

Best of all, there available new from Surplus Center for $995. They have an SAE 6 bell housing which can be adapted to anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.