economical durable paint?? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2013, 08:45 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Nason or omini or omini plus for cheap bases if wanda is out...about 30 -50.00 a qt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

im going to have to buy a pint of each and see who matches the best to the OE.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 AM

Of the last three I posted the Omini plus always matches best out of he can but any good paint company can tweek it to almost perfect ask them if they are willing and able first.sometimes when it gets bussy they;ll just shove you out the door so try them when they arnt so busy and you may have better results.luckily light blue metallic isnt a very complicated mix ...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
Anthonyaa (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:29 PM

ya my main concern is the metallic. sw dosent have it! that's why I was saying I will buy a pint and see how close it is.I had one post say there is two formulas for GM code 27. so ya its all about leg work and finding that one shop that is willing to take the time.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:48 AM

You dont have to buy a pint just bring a panel to the supply store and they can mix the paint and tweek it right there to get it dead on...SW's low end paint (dimentions I think its called) isnt anything I would use I tried it one time and never used it again...unless they changed it it really was some of the worst base I ever used...They're high end 7000 base and SS however is some of the very best out there...but its high dollar ...dont expect too much on the low end paints as far as getting a perfect color match the omini plus is at the top as far as closest matches and it will need tweeking...You may have to break down and shell out some cash if you want perfect...Dupont chromabase or PPG would be the way too go...this is something you cant order and have sent it'll never match .You need someone that knows what they are doing and they can only do it with a panel that has the proper color on it...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

One of the major problems with "Value" branded paints and code 27 GM blue is that from the factory there are many variations or slightly different shades of color with respect to that code, the value branded product only has one formula, usually the most common color. The higher end paints have variations of that code and chips that you can match your particular shade too...if your looking at a value branded product, chances are it will not match...sometimes it's blendable at best and most often...it's not even close.

If exact color match is of great importance, you may need to step up to the plate and spend the money on the high end product and pick the color chip that best matches your vehicle and have that formula mixed...Then, if you use proper air pressure (that effects color on metallic's) apply the base at the proper distance from the panel and have your volume of paint set up properly at the gun you have a chance of getting a match. For this reason, quality repair shops blend colors to get the appearance of an exact match. Another PITA color in GM is code 22 (can't remember the WA number right now) but if I'm correct I've seen some manufacturer's have over 20 variations of that code...same code, color is named the same but many different formulas to get a "best possible match".

Ray
Old 06-11-2013, 05:57 PM

the color is not as important as the metallic in it. I opted for high end sw and was very disappointed. metallic is not even close.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:53 PM

That SW is some of the best so I gotta say bring it back because the metallic come in three sizes fine ,med and coarse the guy may have grabbed the wrong can or someone mixed up the cans...when you mix paint all day or even at the shop you just grab the third can over for coarse the middle can for med and the first can for fine so if a new guy messed up the order the next guy wouldnt even know he used the wrong one because we dont read the cans any more we just grab one of the three silvers where it should be taken from ...BUTT...most of us would see coarse aluminum when we are reading the formula and know right off if we had poured fine or med....someone thats been doing it a few months and not paying attention might not notice and keep going ,getting the color right but metallic would off...
The metallic is always the first ingrediant when mixing the base so if the color is good someone screwed up...unless its a single stage metallic then all bets are off,it'll never match....being that i cant see it and I dont know the guy that mixed it its really hard to say what happend But I'm inclined to say the problem is the wrong size metallic (aluminum) was used ....but if you had a panel right there with you it should have never happened they should try again....
I will say this.... when I buy paint at the supply store I only have one guy mix it I call ahead so he can mix it when he is not being rushed and it always turns out great....If I'm in a rush and just have any one mix it theres always a problem ,I've even got orange paint that was supposed to be red ,they even gave me a hard time about it and said thats as close as it gets with this paint I said BS ...Have so and so mix it just like the formula says and if it come out the same I'll buy both and then get some chroma base too ,if it comes out red i'm only paying for the right one...the smart *** agreed and my guy mixed it and low and behold it was not only red it was a dead match....So there you go get them to mix it with a coarser aluminum..The good SW usually matches really well and it sounds like a simple fix....these guys at the counter can be ruthless and when your shelling ot the big bucks it better match ,thats all there is to it...I'd raise hell...and I do but then again I can get away with it ,I've gone out and mixed my own ans showed them how to do a few things because the girl at the counter couldnt get it right after three attempts and no one else was there.
Now ,if it real busy I can walk out back and mix my own she just hands me the formula.....Its kinda funny realy,the looks I get....So try going back and dont take thats as close as we can get it for an answertell them to try a coaser aluminum...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
Anthonyaa (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM

I did a complete paint on a truck didn't notice because I did a complete job. . I later bought a quart for a deferent job deferent supplier. both were the same! Its obviously there formula. now Im skeptical on getting a match for my own truck. guess Im too picky!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM

by the way ya my old supplier I use to just walk in the back door and mix my own DuPont but they sold out and the buyer closed the doors. now I have to drive 50 miles to get paints. the thing is they keep changing brands. after DuPont I used Marten senior but local Napa stopped caring paints too. So ya Im no beginner by no means. painted at a GM dealer for over 15 years. but that was back in the 70s 80s now everything has changed.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:30 PM

out of all the pints marten senior paint matched the best. metallic is best tint is a little off but was to be expected after years of backing in the sun. thanks for all the help! awesome sight!!!!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Centari replacement= Fulcryl in Nason
chroma one= Fulthane in nason
Fulcryl is a good acrylic enamel that replaced centari, has good gloss and durability Fulthane is an acrylic urethane very good product!
The Following User Says Thank You to ddukes For This Useful Post:
Anthonyaa (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM

I already found the paint I needed. martin senior from napa, I just have camper shell to spray and put the fender on and its done. Its been a while so I did get a little run on the quarter panel but a little sanding and buff and its perfect. thanks for all the info greatly appreciated!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
A couple years ago Nason was my econo paint I liked it and got good results but Last week I called about some SS black and its 195.00 a gallon now and with the hardner you only get 4qts and a pint of mixed paint.Spi is what I bought it cost 125 for a gallon with the hardner and I get 5 qts of mixed paint I sprayed it and holly crap thats some great paint slick like glass and sprays like the high dollar SW SS paint that until now I thought was the best I ever sprayed as far as SS goes...SPi only has a few colors though and I wouldnt use a SS paint if its not a solid color...
Is it black enough for your liking?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
Is it black enough for your liking?

I can't speak for Mike (Deadbodyman) but I recently saw some Black SPI....It is one of the truest Blacks I've seen in the market place. Very impressive. Also, today I received a spray out of SPI's Matte Black from Barry...I have not been a huge fan of the "Matte Black" finish in the past....the SPI Matte Black is a deep, rich Black and I still may not be the biggest fan of the Matte Black look but there are so many uses for this finish...it is a true Black...not like some that may have a green or blue hue in the color.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.