Hot Rod Forum banner

economical front solid axle, brakes, spindles?

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  timothale 
#1 ·
My grandson is on a very limited budget for his rod project and here is what we have. 48 International cab sitting on an early ford pickup frame. Round tube dropped front axle, chev spindles have been adapted with bushings. This has created an extreme camber angle and we need to learn what is the proper spindles and brakes for this car. The total weight will be under 2500 lbs. Basically we have limited/no knowledge of what to buy or what to select for proper front spindles and brakes. We would appreciate any suggestions on economical parts. I can fabricate brackets and weld (mig) . thanks, Greg and Grant

#4 ·
ccr T bucket

The CCR T bucket plans show how to fab your own tube axle, Best to have a heavy steel beam to build a jig to end up with correct castor and camber, a lot of work and Tig welding is recommended. the axle is probably set up to use Ford, 40-48, early 50's F 1 truck or 60's econoline spindles. they were the most commonly used parts. early 50's chevy spindles are usually cheaper to find. My son has a 36 plymouth tube axle on his 22 dodge lakester with a disc brake kit,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.